Handytrax or PT-01?

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
The two most popular portable tables on the market...Which do you prefer?VS.I've only owned the PT01 but am thinking about making the switch to Vestax. I like how the Numark model is sturdy and fits into a crate nice and easy.

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The Numark sucks slightly less than the Vestax.

I heard DJ Kahled started rocking one after seeing DJ Day with one at a record convention.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I've had both and prefer the Numark. Only complaint is the wierd design on the tonearm clamp...a friend broke his off.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    That tonearm clip broke in like a week for me too and I barely touched the thing when it snapped. 'Sucking slightly less' is probably very appropriate.

I don't know about the vestax, and I really like the pt01, but the thing that is pissing me off the most right now is the metal part rising in the back. At first I thought my record was warped, but its just the whole right corner of the device slightly separating itself and I'm about to squirt some god damn glue in there. Heres a pic of the bastard so you can see the light hit right where it keeps seperating from the rest of the table, where the top gets placed. Never dropped it either, maybe I'm humid or something.

I push down on that part and it will stay down for about 85% the side of an LP letting you know its come loose by melting your jam. I hate this moment now and would gladly pay 30 dollars more or whatever to have this not happen, if anyone else is suffering I feel your pain.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    ^ had the same thing happen to me deLYS. I just grabbed some tinsnips and cut/ripped the whole metal plate off. Looks better (black on black) and makes it slightly lighter.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

i like the fisher price 820, modified with a headphone jack and better speaker with the pt-01 as a back up. the pt-01 is pretty heavy and a bit clunky. just my $.02

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ...the thing that is pissing me off the most right now is the metal part rising in the back.
    I resolved it by just using some tape ....works well now...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Delta Arilines broke the clasp to the battery compartment on my Vestax. Now the door falls off, so I have it taped shut. Just sharing.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have both, the vestax has far better (and louder sound which can be handy if your at a record fair and they are blasting elvis through the system), but the numark batteries last longer and is way easier to carry in a record bag

• i have the Numark but i think the quality in total is quite bad...
    if i had the choice once more i would go for the Vestax although its bigger and heavier

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

i like the fisher price 820, modified with a headphone jack and better speaker with the pt-01 as a back up. the pt-01 is pretty heavy and a bit clunky. just my $.02

THis is the real. Seriously. Unless you really miss those RCA outs, the FP w/ a headphone jacked installed (>$20 or free if you know how to do it yourself), is the way to rock it.

Otherwise, forget the Numark and Vestax and pony up for this:

I've been using this almost ten years running and have never looked back.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I know it's easy to get a hold of either one of these but if you watch ebay just a little bit you can pick up a nice vintage portable, which will probably be louder, cheaper and more durable than either of those two. Get a nice singer or phillips, soundburger if you can spare the scratch.

If you absolutely must, after owning both, the numark is nicer than the vestax. The vestax will break if you stare at it too hard.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I know it's easy to get a hold of either one of these but if you watch ebay just a little bit you can pick up a nice vintage portable, which will probably be louder, cheaper and more durable than either of those two. Get a nice singer or phillips, soundburger if you can spare the scratch.

If you absolutely must, after owning both, the numark is nicer than the vestax. The vestax will break if you stare at it too hard.

As someone who's bought a lot of vintage portables, I'd actually recommend people stay away from those b/c you can never be certain what kind of mechanical problems may exist. Add in the fact that a lot of those devices are fairly heavy (solid state!). Don't get me wrong: Phillips and Panasonic made some dope ass looking players back in the day but all looks aside, if you want something reliable and inexpensive, the FIsher Price is hard to beat. And if you want something high-end, portable and dependable, I'd recommend the Soundburger.