ECHO freaks

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
anybody ever mess with one of these?

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Thats mad! I was about to create an echo thread.

I am on the look out for one of these:

The grandmaster of em all. Been killin it since 1973.

Anyone got a tape echo?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah the space echo is beyond dope but they aint cheap.

there's one of these dynachords at a pawn shop up the street from me... gotta see what the deal is but it could be on the cheap side.

i want tape echo!!!!!

The dopest thing with tape echoes (besides the static roll-off kind of vibe) has gotta be the variable motor speed dial.

Can you completely stop the motor and then speed it up again on an RE-201?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    anybody ever mess with one of these?

i bought the big daddy to that one a couple of weeks ago for 150$. but i havent got enough cables for it to hook it up yet. its using 5 pin din cables and they're impossible to find here in my town.

how much was that one? i bought mine for 150$ but its the super 76 version, it has alot more knobs and buttons, and a nice extra feauture is the strong light that blasts you right in the eye while working with it!

don't know how much it is.. or if this is the exact model.. the one i saw in the window looked alot like this, and this was the only pic i could find on the internet.

are those din cables that much of a bitch to track down? I wonder how much hassle it would be to wire in some 1/4" jacks.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    don't know how much it is.. or if this is the exact model.. the one i saw in the window looked alot like this, and this was the only pic i could find on the internet.

are those din cables that much of a bitch to track down? I wonder how much hassle it would be to wire in some 1/4" jacks.

i just live in a small town and the dude in the local store didnt know what i was talking about when i asked about them. i have found some din to rca cables on ebay tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5787559343&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

but i would need din to line so i can hook it up to the mixer. im about to go on vacation to south of sweden tomorrow, so im just gonna hit up some stores over there.

im wondering what those 5 pins are used for, i highly doubt all the inputs are quad!

heres a photo of mine: CIMG0004.JPG

bottom knobs left to right:

volume reverb
    bass treble
    reverb echo mixer

text below the 2nd button: adagio

last knobs:
    echo duration
    bass treble
    volume reverb

so there seems to be quite a few possibilities with it, more than the basic space-echo thats like 2 or 3 times the price of this.

mcdee your's looks more liek the one i saw.. it definatly had more knobs than the photo i posted...

i gotta look into this din connector thing.. don't need gear i can't hook up : )

these things suppossedly sound wicked from what i've been able to deduce.

how hard do you think it is to get new tapes for them? can you spool in your own tape and make your own carts?

hell that's alot of queries for you man.. especially since you havent even used it yet eh!

Here are some more variable speed tape echos:

WEM Copicat IC400 Varispeed:

Melos Echo Chamber:

Can anyone record me some examples of the crazy shit the Roland RE-201 can do?

• what do you guys use this gear for..playing out or bedroom/studio style? Software doesnt have decent echo funtions?

what do you guys use this gear for..playing out or bedroom/studio style? Software doesnt have decent echo funtions?

Both. Tape echo is just one of the most inimitable, versatile, legendary tools anyone can use to use to get creative with sound in a set.

The way I see it is, you can buy a lot of electronic effects units that can all kind of emulate the sound, but no digital or software based tools will ever truly get near the sound a proper tape echo can put out.

• I thought this thread was environmentalist related (the electric car)...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I thought this thread was environmentalist related (the electric car)...

TO TIE IT BACK TO SS, THE ENGINE OF THE LIL' ECHO IS USED IN THIS FAMOUS BRAND OF CARS:

YO MAYNE, MY SCION WEIGHS A TONNE!

Ahhh yes. The Royoland Re-201 hatchback.

They say its fuelled by its own sound... to keep it movin, you need to turn the feedback all the way up to infinite repeat.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Don't forget about this baby:

But if you can't find or afford a tape delay machine, here's is the OG replacement scheme: use a reel2reel tape machine.[/b] Any ol' thing will do, as long as it has seperate PLAY and REC heads. I used to do this all the time with my AKAI 4-track.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Connect an aux send from your audio mixer to the tape input.

2. Connect the tape output to a channel strip on the mixer. Alternately you can hook it up to an aux return, but then you can't feedback the echo.

3. Put the deck in tape monitor mode and press record (not paused, tape has to be rolling).

4. Get busy with that echo.

For the feedback dub style of echo, turn up the aux send on the return channel.

The key to the echo effect is the small distance between the PLAY and REC heads. You're feeding the signal to the REC head, which comes first, but you're monitoring through the PLAY head which comes second. Ergo you've got yourself a delay box!

The only shitty thing about it is the fixed echo times. On my AKAI I had two speeds, SP and LP. SP = fast echo, LP = long echo. But you can still have a lot of fun changing the speed, physically manipulating the tape and so on. Highly recommended and it works like a charm.

Kool. Thanks man. I was thinking about that kind of thing today.

So can you completely stop the motor on any of these (just using the speed dial), and then start it back up again to resume the echo?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Don't forget about this baby:

Man I had one of those and lived it. But it had some sort of wiring problem. After about 30 min it would start making this clicking noise, so i had to take it back. The guy pulled it apart and said they must have screwed up at the factory because it had several wrong wirings, At least it worked for a little bit.

im mainly interested in a tape echo for studio purposes.. but also for my guitar settup.

as others have said you really can't beat a nice tape echo with a digital simulation. Im pretty much a non fan of plugins of all types in the first place.

i've gone from running protools / reason / ableton / peak with Waves platinum, and a zillion other plugins simultaneously to just using ableton live now. the only plugins i use any more is a tiny dash of verb a bit of delay and a four band eq... i'd rather get the sound right on its way into the recorder than twiddle with 100 processors after the fact.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    you talkin bout slapback ??? i invented that shit, (not really, but i was there), and feedback echo?

with varispeed - Sound City Studios, Van Nuys, CA, 1970 - 76.