Crank Dat Hammertime !

Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• I love these videos. This one needs more Soulja boy though.

I have a hard time believing these videos. It's a big enough accomplishment to get that many people to dance together at once, but to also have them be fairly good is another thing. Throw into that mix the fact that they are all of a seemingly similar age and they are all in prison and things just get weird. It's all too bizarre and hard to belive. Maybe they all enjoy it are happy to have that positive outlet, but I still find it hard to believe that that many prisoners are geeked to do dance routines. There's at least 75 people or more.

And an audience in the balcony?

Weird.

Still awesome though.

• Yeah it's not like there's any way that these guys are "forced" to dance by the "warden" with "punishments" for "non-compliance."

• Yeah it's not like there's any way that these guys are "forced" to dance by the "warden" with "punishments" for "non-compliance."

I don't know. I'm not buying that aspect either. Maybe it's a different kind of prison. I guess I am just thinking that no matter what there's no way you can punish someone into becoming a dancer who looks like they are enjoying it. More punishment is not going to make someone excited to do anything. I can see some of them might end up half assing it, but maybe that leads to death. Who knows. Maybe the warden will kill them immediately if he senses any sort of disinterest in his dances. I just can't see this type of thing happening in the US. Unless it's a 10 man dance troop, tops. 75 or more, no way.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    From wikipedia:

"Garcia originally wanted to introduce a program at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) where inmates would exercise for an hour each day. He saw waves of prisoners in the exercise yard and thought it looked good.[3]
    He introduced an exercise program where the prisoners marched in unison, starting out with marching to the beat of a drum, but moved on to dancing to pop music; he began with one of his favourite songs, Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2).[3] He chose camp music such as In The Navy and Y.M.C.A. by The Village People, so macho prisoners would not be offended at being asked to dance.[1]
    Garcia's first upload of prisoner choreography was the Algorithm March[8], but this was almost entirely ignored. Thriller was uploaded on July 17, 2007[9]."

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(Cebu,_Philippines_Inmates'_Video)

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    He chose camp music such as In The Navy and Y.M.C.A. by The Village People, so macho prisoners would not be offended at being asked to dance.[1]

huh???

They're criminals. Fuck em.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's a short documentary called 'First Cut: Murderers on the Dance Floor' in which a journalist travels to the prison to try and find out the 'truth' about the dancing inmates.

I don't think it's surprising to find out it is all pretty suspect. The warden has his own gang, made up of lifers/murderers, who all have a tattoo of his face, on their bodies.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yeah it's not like there's any way that these guys are "forced" to dance by the "warden" with "punishments" for "non-compliance."

I don't know. I'm not buying that aspect either. Maybe it's a different kind of prison. I guess I am just thinking that no matter what there's no way you can punish someone into becoming a dancer who looks like they are enjoying it. More punishment is not going to make someone excited to do anything. I can see some of them might end up half assing it, but maybe that leads to death. Who knows. Maybe the warden will kill them immediately if he senses any sort of disinterest in his dances. I just can't see this type of thing happening in the US. Unless it's a 10 man dance troop, tops. 75 or more, no way.

The main dancers who are featured in the videos are pretty much the 'chosen ones', they get preferential treatment in the prison, so of cause they love it. The rest of the inmates are forced to dance. When the warden was asked if he ever threatens, or beats, inmates who refuse to dance, he answered that he belives they dance because he's asked them to, and they love him.