Determine loudness of wax by looking at grooves?

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
So most of us have run across a record we were hyped on, only to get it home and have the pressing be so quiet it is practically unusable, can you determine the loudness of a record based on the shade of the grooves? My friend is a master at mixing DNB visually using groove shading to determine breaks intros and outros.Yes or No?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Wider grooves have less shit going on, so they are usually a breakdown... or solo or something....

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Yeah, i can see the variations in an individual song, but I am talking about the whole album. Like if I have two LPs side by side and one is more gray and the other is darker black, does this have to do with the depth of the pressing, hence the loudness of the record overall?

• Yeah, i can see the variations in an individual song, but I am talking about the whole album. Like if I have two LPs side by side and one is more gray and the other is darker black, does this have to do with the depth of the pressing, hence the loudness of the record overall?

That may be a factor, but if you have two first pressings of the same album that have variations, then you can't determine it that way unless you know about the matrix info. If it was done at different plants, then what you see in the grooves is due to the cutting engineer. There might be specifics on the master tape on what to do, but once the tape leaves and goes to the pressing plant, anything could happen.

Or if anything, if you have the two records in front of you, are you able to play them right there? If so, then it'll be your ears that will be the factor.