djing a birfday party, need help.

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
i am playing a coworkers birthday party this sat. she gave me a list of the young country(!?) and other ish that she wants played at the party. now i haven't upgraded to cdj (much less Microwave) because i don't play out enough for it to be worth it, however i want to do a decent job at this birthday. is there some kind of freeware or software i can download that will allow me to cue 2 mp3s and mix between?

Comments

• I doubt you'll be mixing "young country" so you could probably just run itunes through your mixer and play vinyl every other time. If that's not an option and you need to go back to back mp3 and you don't find a program to do it with you could always get crafty and run itunes and have a cd player. I'm sure someone knows of a free program though, but if you have no other options just use a cd player and itunes. If it's young country, which i assume means something along the lines of indie rock that has the country feel to it or maybe it actually means young country singers, then you're probably not going to be beat matching and I wouldn't worry about mixing too much in general. It sounds more like a fade in and out job.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I agree with the .gif lord

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    there is some top 40 rapps, and dance on the list and i would perfer to be able to mix if i want.

• turntables and an ipod with a playlist of all non vinyl selections requested. I doubt you'll find a free mixing program that will do what you want and that you'll master fast enough for the party.

• only thing I could think of is this:

http://www.mixmeister.com/

• Simple solution would be to just run 2 programs, like iTunes and Foobar2000 and switch between them for every other song. No real way to beat-match, but it works fine for just fading between songs.

• word, i know there are tons of BPM counting programs out there if you really want to go that far...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Simple solution would be to just run 2 programs, like iTunes and Foobar2000 and switch between them for every other song. No real way to beat-match, but it works fine for just fading between songs.

hmmm, I never thought of that. I'm doing a fundraiser for my wife's school that will be sort of like the "young country" affair that dude is doing (except without the country). I'm not trying to bring turntables so I was going to rock off a laptop sans microwave.

I could do this same thing with like, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player, right? I'll have to try that when I get home.