need some knowledge on tropicalia (that fire-R)

2»

Comments

• is a good read on the subject.

Gotta say...I hated this book.

Go with the SoulJazz comp.
    Ah, thought I was the only one. It just couldn't hold my attention, and I usually love autobiographies of musicians.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

is a good read on the subject.

Gotta say...I hated this book.

Go with the SoulJazz comp.
    Ah, thought I was the only one. It just couldn't hold my attention, and I usually love autobiographies of musicians.

It's not that bad, not a definitive book on Tropicalia, just some of Caetano's Musings of the Era. It's actually pretty much for the Die hard Caetano fans.

Props to GOATBOY for hooking me up with it.

- spidey

• --- someone recently posted a really excellent comp of various Brazilian stuff that they had burned for a car journey (or something) and had uploaded it for folk to listen to...

there was so much great stuff on there that i wasnt aware of before - i tried searching for the post but couldnt find it.

anyone know who posted it??? it still gets a lot of play at my house.... cheers for that.

my Topicalis collection at home consists entirley of the CAETANO VELOSO s/t with white cover and the first MUTANTES record (so pleased to cross that off the wants list) -- but i love both of those albums. i shall invest in more Brazilian stuff very soon...

• another album that has that awesome mutantes sound all the way through is the first GAL COSTA with "taureg" and them on:

• found a link to the mix i mentioned above:

awall's brazilian mix

it was posted by AWALL -- much appreciated.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    BBC did a great three-part series on the history of Brazilian music, it might be a good start:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/brasilbrasil/

Yeah, I caught the first two of these, but missed the third. The ones I saw were fascinating, both in terms of the music, the history and culture of the country and the part that music plays in it, and the people they interviewed.