DOCUMENTARIES...

2»

Comments

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned Born Into Brothels. That was a great doc.

I also ride for a couple most people on here haven't seen because it deals with Drum n Bass but Talking Headz the Metalheadz documentary and also Concentric Beats a doc on stateside drum n bass.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Harlan County, USA
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074605/

all-time favorite.

This one won an Oscar, no? Never seen it but always wondered if it uses any tracks from Jim Ford's Harlan County LP...

• Hands on a hardbody

• ^^so good^^

my faves

The Fog of War
    Born into Brothels
    The End of the Century
    The Filth and the Fury
    A Decade Under the Influence
    Hell House
    When We Were Kings
    The Power of Nightmares
    Harlan County
    The Gleaners and I
    Burden of Dreams
    Little Dieter Needs to Fly
    A Constant Forge
    The Five Obstructions
    The Kids are Alright
    We Jam Econo

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am very thankful for cbc newsworld's passionate eye. This is where I catch the majority of my documentaries.

One that has left a lasting memory is Children Full Of Life. It made me tear tear, such a heart warming story.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsinreview/preview/video/childrenfulloflife-1.wmv

• The Fog of War

I thought this lacked focus. (Maybe that was the point?) I knew a lot of the history behind it and I still found it very, very hard to follow.

When We Were Kings

SO GOOD.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Saw a screening earlier this week of Chicago 10, an interesting doc about the group that organized and was subsequently tried for inciting a riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

The film featured some of the most footage of the riot I have ever seen. It also used court transcripts and animation for the retelling of the trial. It was a great way to tell that story but at the same time, I didn't really like the animation itself. The movie also used a few contemporary songs by the Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine and, worst of all, Eminem.

It's directed by the same dude who did The Kid Stays in the Picture, which I loved. This one, while worth a viewing, could have been better.

Aside from the tepid animation, I also really couldn't get with the outlandish "yippie" dudes like Abbie Hoffman. They just seemed so juvenile.

• Harlan County, USA
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074605/

all-time favorite.

also american dream.

surprised no one has mentioned devil & daniel johnstone (maybe it's too obvious, since i haven't heard of or seen about 3/4ths of the ones mentioned in this thread).

stevie (by the guy that did hoop dreams)

crumb is my favorite.

hearts & minds i second too. plus frank sinatra slammed it at the oscars when it won best doc.

born into brothels is good. so is roger & me.

• the ziggy stardust documentary is pretty good.

• style wars / definitely
    bakara
    no direction home

• I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse but check out www.sprword.com as well.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    Grizzly Man.
    cosign

• Any of you seen Darwin's Nightmare?

http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/index.htm

On the surface a film about humans and fish -- but more broadly an amazing rendering of the tendrils of globalization...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Next in My Queue[/b]

• Any of you seen Darwin's Nightmare?

http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/index.htm

On the surface a film about humans and fish -- but more broadly an amazing rendering of the tendrils of globalization...

YEAH! saw that. real heavy

• Wow, haven't seen this one in years. Great one, BTW.

Another good one, kind of like what I'd imagine a documentary film on Mingering Mike would be like.

Other picks:
    Festival Express
    The Shield Around The K: The Story Of K Records
    Friends Forever

Has anyone seen these:
    All In This Tea
    Pins And Noodles
    Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers
    (above three directed by Les Blank)

There are two docs in the works that I look forward to seeing, both Hawai'i related. One is called Ahead Of The Majority, about the life of U.S. Representative Patsy Mink, and We've Come This Far By Faith, about the struggles of the African-American community in Hawai'i.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    With a lead character named Booger you can't go wrong.

• A bit biased, but still a good watch.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

^^^A good one done by an old friend of mine on his hometown of Amarillo, Texas where plutonium goes to retire (and magically disappear).^^^

But my favorite documentary ever was an anti-drug film called Epidemic[/b] that I was shown a couple of different times as a kid. It literally had the opposite effect that my teachers intended in that the film most definitely inspired me to become a full-fledged stoner.

• I got two for you,

1. "Orwell Rolls in His Grave" -dont miss this one, serious info about the state of the media, probably the best documentary ive seen about todays newsmedia.

2. "Outfoxed" great film about the Faux News Network, dont miss this one if you haven't already seen it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Wow, haven't seen this one in years. Great one, BTW.

It maybe because of its age or setting, but I almost watched this with a Larry Clark kind of detachment, 'the kids seemed to be having fun, it's not so bad' I thought. The girls are just going on "dates", not having sex with pedophiles for money. But when you get to the end it hits you how real it all is.
    Maybe its because this kind of life, has been glamourized and sanitized, it's not so shocking at first glance.
    I blame Lou Reed.

• Sadly, I was someone who sent a poem in as a kid to have it turned into a song. I remember when it arrived and after it played, it made my mom cry. One of the few good things about that song. However, compared to the other songs described in this movie, mine was fairly normal.

I had a class assignment in 4th grade and we had to write a poem about what that color meant to us. Mine was "Blue". Perhaps I should learn how to play the guitar, so I can turn it into the next Americana anthem.

Blue is a color very cool
    like an evening breeze passing by

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Sadly, I was someone who sent a poem in as a kid to have it turned into a song. I remember when it arrived and after it played, it made my mom cry. One of the few good things about that song. However, compared to the other songs described in this movie, mine was fairly normal.

Do you still have a copy?

• Do you still have a copy?

Yes, but it's in storage.

• really? i thought this was kinda hokey.

• really? i thought this was kinda hokey.

yeah it sucked. it was like "corporations are evil" but it didn't really explain anything at all.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

really? i thought this was kinda hokey.

yeah it sucked. it was like "corporations are evil" but it didn't really explain anything at all.

I thought it was ambitious, epic and riveting.

[color:#666666] but I've never actually seen the movie[/color]

• i just remember the purpose of it was to psychoanalyze a corporation's actions as if it was an ordinary person and the conclusion was that the corporation was a lunatic or something which was so corny to me. i also remember there being scenes of cgi paper mental evaluation check list and a stamp going down on it saying something like "insane" or something goofy like that.

• it was a lot like "Oufoxed."

basically everything you needed to know about the the movie and its contents was printed on the back of the box.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought it was ambitious, epic and riveting.

[color:#666666] but I've never actually seen the movie[/color]

Then shouldn't your review actually be 2 1/2 stars?