How rare is Better Days really?

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Joe Pass that is. I never see it, but on the other hand I've been out of the funky jazz loop for a few years. And why hasn't it been reissued?

Comments

• i'm losing faith.

do I have to wait until the west coast wakes up?

• I've never found a copy, or even really seen it for sale.

• the only time i've heard of an extra copy was when egon offered it five six years ago. when i tried to grab it some celebrity digger had taken it.
    he still owes me.

btw, i was just reminded that there actually is a reissue, p-vine cd from japan.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've never found a copy, or even really seen it for sale.

ditto, and I live in LA.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    maybe make do with this until it turns up?

• I've seen on ebay at least once - i think Anthony Pearson had a copy a couple of years. Doesn't Pickin up on the E-string have the better tracks from the same session not issued on Better Days? Is Burning Spear on Better Days?

• Burning Spear is on Better Days. And it has been reissued... on cd, anyway (PFine in Japan). Not sure if there is / was vinyl too.

Tripledub, where you at son?

• right here,sir.
    my best thrift store haul ever![cough cough]

for real though,
    i got tired of waiting around for it.
    had to ask the assistance of a celebrity digger.
    i had never seen it for sale before or knew anyone else who had it.

• duh, better days and the egg record are the only ones in the photo i never had. i guess i'll have to chenge that then.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've never found a copy, or even really seen it for sale.

ditto, and I live in LA.

Yeah, me neither. It's gotta be pretty darn rare. I even think Mr. Anthony said he'd only ever had it once when it came up in a thread a few years ago.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've only ever seen two copies - one in Egon's hands, one in Cool Chris'. Shows up on the 'Bay very very rarely.

• Last time I checked, Carol Kaye was selling cassette copies on her website.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    duh, better days and the egg record are the only ones in the photo i never had. i guess i'll have to chenge that then.

btw, you need to be aware that the 'egg record' has two pressings which are housed the same exact sleeve and have the same tracklisting. One is jazz, one is jazz-discoish.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    duh, better days and the egg record are the only ones in the photo i never had. i guess i'll have to chenge that then.

btw, you need to be aware that the 'egg record' has two pressings which are housed the same exact sleeve and have the same tracklisting. One is jazz, one is jazz-discoish.

Are you guys talking about the Weldon Irvine record or Eddie Russ?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

which one is better?

oh shit, I guess there are two 'egg' covers on there. Not sure about cardova, but Im talking about E.Russ.

• I saw one copy on ebay maybe a year ago. I forget what it ended at, over $200. It's been in my searches for a while. Rare fa shore. At the end of the day it's not that good, but I'd probably keep it if I found it on the cheap.

which one is better?

I prefer the non-disco version. Some cats may like the other one, but it isnt exactly my taste.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've got a copy of Better Days, took me many years but I coppethed it eventually.

As far as "jazzfunk" goes this is a really solid LP from end to end. I think it's great.

I have MP3's ripped from my copy if anybody want it.

NB

• duh, better days and the egg record are the only ones in the photo i never had. i guess i'll have to chenge that then.

oh shit, I guess there are two 'egg' covers on there. Not sure about cardova, but Im talking about E.Russ.

i never knew the 2nd press with the sun on it had different disco versions...ive always thought the egg press was 1st. anybody care to post an mp3 disco version of the the hill where the lord hides...or what ever its called...and the lope song. until then im not a believer of the disco version.
    eddie russ has some quality disco jazz imo

• oh shit....i DID see another copy semi recently.
    at WFMU this last go round, a young soulstrut type dude had a copy for a HIGH sum.
    his name might have been Jordan, but i may be worng. johnny brox knew him if anyone is trying to track him down. i bought a copy of ritual off him at a fair price. his copy of "better days" was at $400

"i get high but i dont get too high"

• i was talking about weldon, not russ.

i never knew the 2nd press with the sun on it had different disco versions...ive always thought the egg press was 1st. anybody care to post an mp3 disco version of the the hill where the lord hides...or what ever its called...and the lope song. until then im not a believer of the disco version.
    eddie russ has some quality disco jazz imo

The egg press is still is the first. Im guessing that the 'disco-jazz' version (with the egg cover) was released inbetween the first egg version and the later 'sun' cover. ...So what label is the sun cover on anyway? is it Jazzmasters, or Monument?

btw, I just ordered the cd from Carol. She was telling me that this is a new cd version (which differs from the previous tapes) it has added material and has been re-mastered to a certain degree. we'll see...