BASS FEEDBACK

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Okay, this is a problem that just appeared in the last week that is driving me absolutely insane right now because I can't listen to any records...All of a sudden I'm getting this TREMENDOUS bass feedback whenever I put any volume on my records. I've always had problems with the ground wire on my TT (a Technics 1200 which I purchased used) but I've been using my current set-up for a while now and this has NEVER happened... the speakers are close to the receiver and TT but they've been in the same position for ages, and like I said this just started in the past week.ANY advice or assistance would be appreciated...and for those who know, break down the different parts bass rumble can originate from... I'm assuming its either TT ground problems, receiver meltdown or speaker wiring... I know the positioning of speaker to stereo/TT is the typical origin but this isn't the case here...

Comments

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    don't know much about the technical stuff, but when something like this happens to me the first thing i do is take the whole thing apart and put it back together one by one, see where the trouble comes in.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    thanks sg, may try that tomorrow...

ADDITIONALLY, I just tried playing a CD (duh) and no prob

so its definitely the TT

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    sounds like a grounding issue

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    sounds like a grounding issue

Yea, if you already knew you had grounding trouble I'm sure it's just getting worse. I had a similar problem and it would even happen in the head phones. Had to get a new ground wire.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    check every step in the chain, one at a time.

one turntable at a time.
    check the ground on each end (record player and the mixer or the amp, whichever it's connected to).
    unplug one turntable and try the other, vice versa.
    jiggle wires while you do it.
    try it at high volumes and low volumes.
    test other inputs on your receiver or amp or whatever you're using.

basically, test isolated instances all along the chain until you find the cause. that's the easiest way.