New rap & sexism study (posted before?)

tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Couldn't find this with a search:http://washington.bizjournals.com/eastba...10800%5E1594256Thursday, February 21, 2008N.C. State researchers: Rap brings out sexism in studentsTriangle Business JournalHearing rap music can bring out the sexist beliefs of college students, according to study recently performed by researchers at North Carolina State University. The NCSU researchers, political science professors Michael Cobb and Bill Boettcher, found that rap doesn't necessarily cause sexist beliefs. Rather, the music brings out already existing sexism in the students. "It's like hearing the word 'chocolate' and suddenly having a craving for a candy bar," Cobb said in a statement. The study broke students into three groups. All three had their levels of sexism measured by answering questions. Then, one group did not listen to any music. A second group listened to a rap song, the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage," without any sexist lyrics. The third group listened to "Kill You" by Eminem, which explicitly describes violence toward women. Cobb and Boettcher found that men who listened to a rap song expressed more sexist beliefs after listening to the music - regardless of whether they heard "Sabotage" or "Kill You." That finding suggests that people associate rap with sexism, and that the lyrical content of the song doesn't necessarily matter, the researchers said. Women, on the other hand, expressed less sexist beliefs after listening to the Eminem song. "The blatant misogyny is startling to them, and it triggers a more careful interpretation and rejection of the premises in the song," Cobb says. The researchers' findings were published in a recent issue of the Journal of Applied Social Psychology.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sabotage is a rap song? I think they're confusing frat for rap.

• Sabotage is a rap song? I think they're confusing frat for rap.

Well, they ain't singing . . .

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    N.C. State researchers: Rap brings out sexism in students

here we go

• N.C. State researchers: Rap brings out sexism in students

here we go

Plz notice they're also using white rappers. Pretty much hits all this board's buttons.

• wait, so they're saying that anything we experience in our surroundings has the potential to influence us?

• Cobb and Boettcher found that men who listened to a rap song expressed more sexist beliefs after listening to the music - regardless of whether they heard "Sabotage" or "Kill You." That finding suggests that people associate rap with sexism, and that the lyrical content of the song doesn't necessarily matter[/b], the researchers said.

Foolish conclusion, and I'm suspicious of the news reporting.

How about 'suggests that people associate male voices with sexism' or 'suggests that people associate white dudes talking with sexism' or 'suggests that people associate music produced after 1990 with sexism'. Or 'suggests that their sample was too small'. Or that you can't judge a study from what the media reports.

Here's a better article on it: http://www.physorg.com/news122832232.html. And if anyone has a subscription to the Journal of Applied Psychology, full-text is here: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2007.00292.x.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Ah-ha!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I don't care as much about hip-hop as a lot of those here, but still, it's hillarious when people - namely the conservative, 40 and over set - single out rap as the sole musical genre that is all about doing hard drugs and treating women poorly. It's as if everything from the blues to country to punk to everything in between all don't have similar lyrics or have famous, well regarded musicians of which who aren't guilty of actually doing that stuff in real life.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Sabotage is a rap song? I think they're confusing frat for rap.

I know, that shit is mad suspect. I'm not up on that Eminem song. Does it sound similar to "Sabotage?" It could just be that Sabotage is an aggressive-sounding song and gets dudes amped.

I think the vibe of the songs has to be same, so that the variable being tested is just the lyrics.

This whole shit sounds kinda bogus.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    And if anyone has a subscription to the Journal of Applied Psychology, full-text is here

uh.....right.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    And if anyone has a subscription to the Journal of Applied Psychology, full-text is here

uh.....right.

HAHA! Yeah, you know???in case you have a subscription, but somehow missed that article. Thank's!