Maxim Magazine hires Faux_Rillz as music editor

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

While we're doling out blame can we add the factual inevitability that if a CD gets an advance mailing, it will end up free on the internet, posted by one of the writers/store emplyees/mailroom folks into whose hands it ended up?

And really O, do you have a serious problem getting your hands on current releases you would like to review? I'm honestly curious.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I don't know a single writer or editor who has ever leaked a CD. It's simply not worth the possible repercussions.

And yeah, it's hard to review CDs for any magazine that usually requires a 2 month lead time. For newspapers, radios or internet, it's not as hard since if no one wants to cough up an advance, most times, I can find it online. Which then raises the question: why not just hand out the CD if shit is going to leak anyway?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I don't know a single writer or editor who has ever leaked a CD. It's simply not worth the possible repercussions.

I know nothing about print media, but there would be no trouble leaking things from my (college) radio station. There's too many people who have access to promo materials as soon as they arrive. That's prolly why promos usually come in just a few days before the release date.

We're talking more about advances that come out before promos are released to everyone else, but yeah, college radio is just about the last place I would send a CD if I didn't want it to get leaked. Our station got in huge trouble with a major label two years ago for leaking some indie-rock record on myspace before it dropped.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The band's hits include "Hard to Handle"

Has anyone here heard the Otis Redding cover?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    "I'd prefer [a review from] Playboy," Nas said. "That kind of stuff doesn't reach my radar or effect anybody around me. I don't know what a music rating from Maxim is ... I don't know what it even means really."