Bay Area: Where should I go to buy a couch?

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
So I'm finally ready to make that biggest of post-collegiate furniture moves: Ditching the futon and getting an actual couch. But I also haven't even looked at furniture since I moved out here (about a decade ago--damn!). So...where are the dope stores to get a couch? I don't want to get some Ikea piece of shit, and the place also has to deliver (to Oakland, if the store isn't already in Oakland). Also, is there a company that'll take my old futon? I suppose I could just put it out by the dumpsters and hope it gets taken away, but if there were a way for me to get that thing hauled off the same day I get my new couch, that would be greeeaaaaaaat.

Comments

• What's your budget?

• just look around. Don't buy the first "aww, this seems decent and it's in my price range" type of thing. I know people hate on IKEA, but we bought a couch and then happened to go to IKEA right after and saw a couch we liked better and it was cheaper. Then we went to other places and we're like "sheeeit, there's decent couches all over." We jumped too quickly at the first seemingly good deal.

As for the futon, put an ad on craigslist. I just made an ad for a free futon and I got a lot of emails. Some dude came by and took it. He and his son rolled up in a convertible and tossed it in the back.

• Just get a bedroom-in-a-box. I'm sure they have a couch addition.

• my advice is to sit in the damn thing for at least 15 minutes before you buy it. I bought a couch that seemed nice, but after I sat in it for a while it hurts my back and I end up slouching into it and it is sooo uncomfortable. If the salespeople seem impatient, tell them to f-off while you make a final decision.

• my friend got his couch from overstock.com

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sofas-Loveseats/2027/subcat.html

shipping is practically free

macys has some decent stuff and they are having a big furniture sale

• Go Ikea or go Cragislist.

Don't bother with Furniture Warehouse or Copenhagen or whatever other new, allegedly inexpensive furtniture spots there are (mostly SOMA SF).

if you're gonna go new, just go to Ikea. the best of the inexpensive, new furtniture, and the best selection.

if you're gonna go used, Craigslist usually has some stuff.

• my suggestion, if this is really a post coolege power move...

do not buy a used couch, unless you kno the previous owner really well.

Nothing grosser to me than the possibility of what could be locked in those fibers. You could be buying a time capsule of 1 million farts.

• my suggestion, if this is really a post coolege power move...

do not buy a used couch, unless you kno the previous owner really well.

Nothing grosser to me than the possibility of what could be locked in those fibers. You could be buying a time capsule of 1 million farts.

hahaha yeah I would shine a blacklight on that schitt before buying...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    You could be buying a time capsule of 1 million farts.

That would be the futon, I think. My old roommate and I bought it when we first moved out here in '98. I know some of the horrors that thing has seen--and there must be even more horrors that I don't know about.

Overstock actually has some interesting-looking stuff. I do want to go around and actually sit on a few, though, make sure they're up to the task.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's what I did:

Buy plywood, prop it up on top of your 2x4 expedit.
    Buy a cushion, and place it on top of expedit.

Voila, couch!

• You could see if a thrift store or salvation army would pick it up. it seems like if the futon isnt too throttled, they'll take it. They picked up an old couch of ours that wasnt too beat but it wasnt too nice either.

• If you want to go used and safe, my best bet would be:

Salvation Army, Chinatown Oakland (usually has some nice, nice furniture)

Other spots that have had goods in the past

Thrift Town, El Sobrante (San Pablo Damn Road)
    Gateway Thrift Store, Deep East Oakland (International and like 102nd or 104th)
    St. Vincent DePaul, Deep East Oakland (on San Leandro)
    Salvation Army, San Pablo / Richmond (on San Pablo)
    Salvation Army, Alameda