Another reason why Village Voice sucks

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Quite possibly one of the worst cases of literary drivel i've ever encountered... to quote:"As Jon Caramanica noted in his review of Cam'Ron's Purple Haze, "The avant-garde need not be moral." Same time, prudes like me say the immoral better be avant-garde as all shit, a hard (though soft-focus) line that lets me (say) hack on Ying and Friends but revere the Dips and Clipse (and Nas in spots). So the net effect is one critical continuum that discounts gross-outs and whatever rapped soft spots I've accrued in favor of word conspiracy, matrices of signification and-- yes-- the sweetest riffs. I don't know when this happened exactly, but rappers fucking stuff just bores me anymore-- the true challenge of the harder content is not in its hardness but its bea(u)tification."Read it here:http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/riffraff/archives/2005/07/peedi_crakk_gre.phpAs if their film reviews aren't bad enough, now they're pulling this shit...

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    come on. I kind of enjoy their really academic analysis of gangster rap. Its funny.

• Quite possibly one of the worst cases of literary drivel i've ever encountered... to quote:

"As Jon Caramanica noted in his review of Cam'Ron's Purple Haze, "The avant-garde need not be moral." Same time, prudes like me say the immoral better be avant-garde as all shit, a hard (though soft-focus) line that lets me (say) hack on Ying and Friends but revere the Dips and Clipse (and Nas in spots). So the net effect is one critical continuum that discounts gross-outs and whatever rapped soft spots I've accrued in favor of word conspiracy, matrices of signification and-- yes-- the sweetest riffs. I don't know when this happened exactly, but rappers fucking stuff just bores me anymore-- the true challenge of the harder content is not in its hardness but its bea(u)tification."

Read it here:
    http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/riffraff/archives/2005/07/peedi_crakk_gre.php

As if their film reviews aren't bad enough, now they're pulling this shit...

That is totally incomprehensible, grad-schoolified drivel ("bea(u)tification" my ass), but the Voice does have some strong writers. As far as pop critics go, Christgau was pretty much untouchable during the 70s and 80s.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I have no idea what the fuck dude is trying to say...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Slade is right about the history of the VV though.

But this new school journalism crap is exactly that.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    come on. I kind of enjoy their really academic analysis of gangster rap. Its funny.

this just in..inside the actors studio with DMX....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bea(u)tification

The whole thing was pointless, but most of it at least could be deciphered.

This is a complete puzzelment. I behoves me why someone one would write this way. Is there some word play here, or is this random use of ()?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    It's, like, totally ee cumming(in your mouth)s.