WTF (food label craziness)

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Does anybody else think this is a bit wierd?"Crushed Red Peppers Treated With RADIATION"

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    FDA Allowing Food Companies To Change Irradiation Label to
    "Cold Pasteurization"
    REUTERS 9oct02
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. food companies can seek federal approval to avoid using the word "irradiation" on labels of foods treated with the bacteria-killing process, and instead use language such as "cold pasteurization," the Food and Drug Administration said.

Irradiation, which has been endorsed by the World Health Organization, exposes food to low doses of electrons or gamma rays to destroy deadly microorganisms such as E. coli and salmonella. It has been approved by U.S. regulators for use with raw chicken and beef as well as spices and dried seasonings. But food companies have been slow to adopt the treatment for raw meat and poultry because of the cost of the equipment and worries about consumer acceptance.

Currently, foods treated with the technology must carry labels saying either "treated with irradiation" or "treated by radiation." They must also bear a special symbol, known as the radura, which consists of green petals in a broken circle. Some food makers say consumers interpret the radura symbol and the word "irradiation" as a food safety warning.

Critics say the industry is trying to use euphemisms to hide that their products were irradiated. Some green groups and environmentalists fear using high-energy radiation in food products could have harmful side effects for consumers.

The FDA issued guidelines explaining how companies can petition the agency to use more neutral language on the label of food treated with irradiation. In its petition, a food company must submit consumer research that shows a comprehension of the proposed label.

• i guess they've been using funny language on products for a long time. It's probably better to use the scentific term than what it actually is. Remember as a kid reading the ingredients of cereal boxes? Use to see words that as a kid looked like "safisodiumlaxenweur gludimantekajid" when it really was cow lips

• my grandma used to tell me when i was a kid that my electric blanket had radiation in it. my dad said that too, so maybe they were right...........the blanket was from the 50's or 60's, so i could believe it...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The chorizo I buy lists lymph nodes as an ingredient, but I eats it anyway.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

"Crushed Red Peppers Treated With RADIATION"

I'll admit that I'm not super well read in this area, but my scientific opinion is that there are probably lots of things in our food supply (Pesticides, Hormones, Mercury, Antibiotics, Trans-Fat, High Fructose corn Syrup, etc) that are waaaaayy more dangerous than exposure to (but not contamination with) radiation. I'd be happy to read up on the research if you have any specific question.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The chorizo I buy lists lymph nodes as an ingredient, but I eats it anyway.

Lymph nodes are good for you. But as a general rule, Never read the ingredients in chorizo[/b]. I'm pretty sure I bought a package once that listed testicle as an ingredient.

• Does anybody else think this is a bit wierd?
    "Crushed Red Peppers Treated With RADIATION"

Eat that on an empty stomach and watch your farts blow flames.

• everything is radioactive. Get your science game up and your money will follow.

• Irradiation is a decades-old process used to kill bacteria, parasites and insects in food. It also retards non-microbial spoilage of certain foods, increasing their shelf life.

The irradiation process exposes foods to gamma rays emitted by cobalt-60 and machine-generated beams of electrons and X-rays. Irradiated food is not radioactive.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved irradiation of spices, wheat and flour, potatoes, pork, fruits and vegetables, poultry and red meat.

The World Health Organization in 1992 called irradiation a "perfectly sound food-preservation technology." A WHO official said irradiation is "badly needed in a world where food-borne diseases are on the increase and where between one-quarter and one-third of the global food supply is lost post-harvest." In 1997, WHO again endorsed food irradiation, joined this time by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Irradiated food sold in the United States must be identified with the green, flowerlike international symbol for irradiation and the words "Treated with Radiation" or "Treated by Irradiation."
    People freak when they hear the word radiation,usually for no good reason.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    radiation isn't that dangerous i heard.

Im still pissed it wont give you any super powers though.

• radiation isn't that dangerous i heard.

It can be,it depends what type.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    radiation isn't that dangerous i heard.

Im still pissed it wont give you any super powers though.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i get my radiation on every day. least when it aint too cloudy.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The radiation eaten from irradiated foods is far less than what you receive by standing 8 ft from a microwave, a TV, etc. Get a clue.

• I like the icon after radiation. It almost looks like a little flower with some gamma rays on top.

Kool Keith and dem been talking bout this for days.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The radiation eaten from irradiated foods is far less than what you receive by standing 8 ft from a microwave, a TV, etc. Get a clue.

Yeah, if that freaks you out, you don't want to know about your cell phone.