Strutter Recommendations

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I pulled out my copy of the Soul Searcher's - "We The People" last night and remembered how much I really really like that album. I know some people are over the cover of "Think", but that is one of me least favorite tracks on there. I love the title track, but just about every track makes me .So, my question: What else out there is like this? This is some hard hitting funk paired with some nice song structure. Can anyone recommend me some other LPs to look out for.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the Baby Huey record always reminds me of that Soul Searchers record... both uprocking jams...

• Cause I know pictures help get posts answered:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Check yo PM's, P Gunn.

• I got that Baby Huey, but what's the 'uprocking jams' thing you trailed off on about? That the name of a series or something?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    To be honest, almost any funk band between 1969-75 would appear to have this hard-hitting sound you seek. It's not unique to the Soul Searchers; the Fatback Band, Black Heat, the Electric Express***, the Sons of Slum***, the Beginning of the End, Bobby Franklin's Insanity***, the T-Boxes***, the Midnight Movers, and Kool & the Gang would do just as good.

***no albums, just singles

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Rasputin's Stash, that is.

Might as well include the South Side Movement, Sound Experience and the Nite-Liters in there too!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Might as well include the South Side Movement, Sound Experience and the Nite-Liters in there too!

man, why is it I have never heard or seen that sound experience LP? I mean I've seen several Stark Realities, a couple Roy Porters, a handful of Mike James Kirklands, and even some crazy Italian prog only 300 pressed LP's

but never one damn Sound Experience

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    you've seen several stark realities??!?!?!?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    uprocking = break dancing before breakdancing, where you dance to the whole song, and then breakance to just the break... mainly a latin thing... sometimes called Latin rocking...

uprocking songs include:

yellow sunshine- yellow sunshine
    apache- bongo band
    it's just begun- jimmy castor
    get on the good foot- james brown
    get up, get into it, get involved - james brown
    castles in the sky- futures
    listen to me- baby huey
    we the people- soul searchers
    bra- cymande

there are tons more.... "sessomatto" on west end... "the mexican" by Babe Ruth...

there's actually not too much info available on this on the web or in books, it's like the under appriciated roots of breaking... i used to sometimes get some old school L.E.S. and Brooklyn latin dudes come out when I DJed and they hipped me to some of this stuff...

-p

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

man, why is it I have never heard or seen that sound experience LP? I mean I've seen several Stark Realities, a couple Roy Porters, a handful of Mike James Kirklands, and even some crazy Italian prog only 300 pressed LP's

but never one damn Sound Experience

I just sold a Sound Experience for like $10 a little while ago. Good record.

which sound experience are we talkin about?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Some shit on GFS. Might be a different record than what this kid is talking about though. I dunno, I never really pay too much attention to what's going on around me.

oh ok i know which one you're talkin about. but dude, that record is worth alot mroe than $10

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Some shit on GFS. Might be a different record than what this kid is talking about though. I dunno, I never really pay too much attention to what's going on around me.

Hey Guzz,

You're not talking about the "Boogie Woogie" LP on GRT/Buddah, are you? I have that one and I've seen it a lot over the years, actually.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Hey Guzz,

You're not talking about the "Boogie Woogie" LP on GRT/Buddah, are you? I have that one and I've seen it a lot over the years, actually.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

thats exactly the one. I got the live from the reform school joint on GSF (Thanks Dave).
    But that Boogie Woogie shit is just a legened round these parts. Next time you see one hit me up via PM. I need to prove to myself that this shit is real

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey Guzz,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

thats exactly the one. I got the live from the reform school joint on GSF (Thanks Dave).
    But that Boogie Woogie shit is just a legened round these parts. Next time you see one hit me up via PM. I need to prove to myself that this shit is real

I gotcha bro!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    The Spirit Of Atlanta, The Burning Of Atlanta, Buddah 1973, real dope on the avenue typa gangster-lean soulfunk. Theres a long instrumental uptempo joint on this called Messin' Around which I really DIG.......

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Spirit Of Atlanta, The Burning Of Atlanta, Buddah 1973, real dope on the avenue typa gangster-lean soulfunk. Theres a long instrumental uptempo joint on this called Messin' Around which I really DIG.......

I was checking this record out online...they do an answer song to "Freddie's Dead" called "Freddie's Alive and Well"!?...that's pretty crazy...it's on 45 too - is it ill?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

I was checking this record out online...they do an answer song to "Freddie's Dead" called "Freddie's Alive and Well"!?...that's pretty crazy...it's on 45 too - is it ill?

Its cool, uptempo pimpfunk(very soundtrack-ish), organ and wahwah over a funky bassline drums and conga, I like the instrumental parts of this track, horns strings and organ interplay(real dope) followed by a (light)percussion break, some of the vocals reminds me a bit of Fever (melody-wise)...!