BREAD OR RICE

2»

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Damn that's a tough one.

Being Mexipino, you're raised on both.So many possibilities and varieties with the two.I'd probably side with the rice in the long run.It's hard to ruin rice, But saying that,It can be done.Bread can smell good and taste shit(and stale).
    Atleast with rice,you know what to expect of it.

Though a baguette,olive oil & balsamic vinegar(simple but excellent dipping match) and hummus..That's the ultimate poor person's meal and you can't go wrong!Many a years eatting and surviving off that alone.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I think the question really ought to be between rice and wheat, since the grains that can make bread comprise a far broader category than just rice. Now if we're talking rice or wheat, I'm going with wheat, because that means not only bread, but pasta and pastries and cakes and everything else made with wheat flour. Rice cakes are fine and dandy, but I'm not giving up my pate brise.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    How about some quinoa, just tried it and it's pretty good eats. The mother of all grains according to the Incas.

That box is really funny: "supergrain of the future"!

Quinoa is great, but it has too strong a flavour to be a substitute for rice (among many other reasons). It's plenty healthy, though.

• I think the question really ought to be between rice and wheat, since the grains that can make bread comprise a far broader category than just rice. Now if we're talking rice or wheat, I'm going with wheat, because that means not only bread, but pasta and pastries and cakes and everything else made with wheat flour. Rice cakes are fine and dandy, but I'm not giving up my pate brise.

see i think the problem here is the ease of use. i mean, your average person isnt baking bread every day. in fact you need a pretty good oven or one of them shitty "bread maker" things. rice, on the other hand is a bit more utilitarian. you need a pot, water and fire. so its really not fair comparing the two because one is far more involved in the cooking process and is way more easier to fuck up. the other a goddamn monkey can make. but like someone pointed out, it is possible to fuck up rice. but nothing like bread.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I think the question really ought to be between rice and wheat, since the grains that can make bread comprise a far broader category than just rice. Now if we're talking rice or wheat, I'm going with wheat, because that means not only bread, but pasta and pastries and cakes and everything else made with wheat flour. Rice cakes are fine and dandy, but I'm not giving up my pate brise.

Unfortunately, many people have this decision made for them. I have a couple of friends that have celiac and you rapidly learn that there's f-ing wheat in EVERYTHING[/b]. Soy sauce? Sure. Therefore, as a practical matter, I'd say wheat because it's hard to avoid. I would definitely mourn the loss of risotto and rice crackers though.

• ive heard about this. seems to run rampant at kaiser.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Atleast with rice,you know what to expect of it.

In other words, rice is boring.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    In other words, rice is boring.
    far from it

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd give up rice before wheat

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RICE IS DEFINITELY NOT OVERRATED