Scratching live midi instruments - how?

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Just saw this clip of a DMC dude scratching live notes from his midi keyboard, what program is he using to do this? Sounds way wicked. Worth watching even if you don't care about midi. Dude's got a tight set.

Comments

• i really enjoyed the 'old' style dmc routines w/o computers. i know hes doing things that are impossible w/o the laptop but a really top beatjuggling routine is soo Frickin' hard to get dialed, consistent, and hopefully (really!) musical sounding when exectuted. this is interesting but id rather see a sinister (or a dozen other djs) routine from 1990 whatever..im not hating dude and actually i didnt watch the whole video so he might have juggling abilities but the Microwave/pc dj setup for a dmc type set is mos def

but maybe im just but i like to see the djs switch the plates and find those little tape marks its part of what makes the sets exciting..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    DJDECKS has had this capability for years. But's its a kinda of wierd integration with plugins/synths etc...

I'm not sure of the status anymore, I stopped watching it when I got onto Final Crash 1.0 like many moons ago.

http://djdecks.be/

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    this is interesting but id rather see a sinister (or a dozen other djs) routine from 1990 whatever..im not hating dude and actually i didnt watch the whole video so he might have juggling abilities but the Microwave/pc dj setup for a dmc type set is mos def

but maybe im just but i like to see the djs switch the plates and find those little tape marks its part of what makes the sets exciting..

I think most everyone would agree with you, no doubt VINYL >> anything else dj related.

But as far as people playing live with bands/electronic groups this sort of thing opens up a lot of innovation.

Do they even allow Microwave/final scratch stuff in DMC? I thought it was still straight vinyl.

But i am most likely as well.