eBay/Paypal's Expanded Seller Protection

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
got this today from ebay:
Expanded Seller Protection - New for eBay PowerSellers - Starting February 2008 PowerSellers that reside in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Hong Kong with a registered PayPal account in one of these countries that is linked to their eBay account are now eligible for expanded PayPal seller protection against claims, charge-backs, reversals for unauthorized payments, and merchandise not received. The expanded protection covers transactions on eBay paid through PayPal. It's free, there's no annual limit, and transactions no longer require confirmed addresses to be covered.
didn't have any links to specifics. anyone have any additional info on this?

Comments

• got this today from ebay:

Expanded Seller Protection - New for eBay PowerSellers - Starting February 2008

PowerSellers that reside in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Hong Kong with a registered PayPal account in one of these countries that is linked to their eBay account are now eligible for expanded PayPal seller protection against claims, charge-backs, reversals for unauthorized payments, and merchandise not received. The expanded protection covers transactions on eBay paid through PayPal. It's free, there's no annual limit, and transactions no longer require confirmed addresses to be covered.

didn't have any links to specifics. anyone have any additional info on this?

I just checked paypal for any updates to their policy/user agreement. There is no reference on there to any of this stuff, so at this point I would have to say these are empty promises. Until it actually is part of the policy it means nothing. While we're on this subject, people may want to take a moment to read this actual paypal policy change (this is about the three-week payment holds that ebay announced could impact 5 percent of "risky" transactions. In reality the clause is written so that paypal can apply the holds any time it feels like it, to any seller):

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
    Effective Date: March 14, 2008

Beginning March 14, 2008, the PayPal User Agreement is being amended to include a new section 10.4 as follows:

10.4 eBay Item Hold.

eBay item hold. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction. If PayPal places a hold on your payment, it will show as "pending" in your PayPal Account.

Release of eBay item hold. PayPal will release the eBay item hold after 21 days unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. PayPal may release the hold earlier if either of the following applies:

(a) The buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay, or

(b) PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only.

Additional hold period. If you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the eBay item hold, PayPal may hold the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved pursuant to this Agreement.

• So a paypal shipping label serves as tracking?

• So a paypal shipping label serves as tracking?

Here's the catch: "This applies to US domestic transactions only."

• (a) The buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay, or

(b) PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only.

this happened to me last year. I had a guy from Brazil buy records from me and his payment was held. he filed the dispute claiming he never got the record and I called paypal and said he never got the record cuz you told me to wait until payment cleared. Paypal gave me the word to ship so I shipped. Paypal reversed the charge. the tracking made it to Brazil but not to his house so the reversal stuck. two days later the dude leaves feedback and I call paypal again and ask if the tracking gets to the country and the dude leaves feedback how can you say he didn't get the records. paypal gives me back the dough.