Barcelona, whats good?

SyminSymin 999 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
As of tomorrow, i am relocating to Barcelona. for a month. My trip is completely open ended. i might stay, i might travel around. im not sure. What i am asking is what are the must see, must eat, must experience spots that any of you that live or have visited know about. if you know about record spots and want to talk about that too. my ears are open.also any residents or fellow travelers that are gonna be around and want to talk records and bull shif or ride some bikes. hit me up PM.

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Dude... I just got back from Barcelona last night. It's ALL good!

My coworker has the list of restaurants we either went to or wanted to go to so I'll give you that when I get to work tomorrow with reviews. The best place I remember the name of was Tapac 24.

La Fira is the dopest club I went to. Very local as far as crowd and music. None of that Americanized shit you can just get at home. There's a shot bar with the largest and craziest menu ever a couple blocks away to start it off... can't remember the name.

Wah Wah is okay for records. Everything is resealed so be careful. All the shops around that Bourn area are cool. It's right near the Arc de Triumph. I managed to break my skateboard at the park there on Friday. Doh!

All the Gaudi stuff is essential to see. Sagrada Familia and Park Guell of course as well as a few buildings around the city.

Have fun man

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whoa, how did you end up getting to move to Barcelona? You quit your teaching gig?

Ivan I was a few blocks away from your house on Saturday night but I figured you would be still recovering. Did you get the Chuck E Cheese hookup?

Ivan I was a few blocks away from your house on Saturday night but I figured you would be still recovering. Did you get the Chuck E Cheese hookup?

Haha... good assumption, but I was actually too busy with work that I didn't get to party it up too much. Still had fun, though, but I'm not gonna be in 2 week detox like last year! Pics coming soon.

Working on Chuck E Cheese... details to come

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Wah Wah and the shop a little bit up from it, the markets on the weekend... those are the best bet... and travelling to attic sales out of the city...

peace.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Lionel Messi....

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    1: Ferrari, Bringing the skateboard is a must would you say? ive been debating cause its gonna take up room.
    we are taking bikes.

2: Spelunk, I put in my 30 days when i got the offer from a friend to take off for Barcelona. i need an adventure in my life. im not ready for a career yet. Im gonna give it another go in the fall at an elementary school. But for right now im just trying to whyl out. Im actually in Cali right now. bout to leave on thursday. let me know if your in the bay on wednesday night...

3: anyone else got anything?

1: Ferrari, Bringing the skateboard is a must would you say? ive been debating cause its gonna take up room.
    we are taking bikes.

Depends... it's not a viable method of transportation, but there are some sick spots. I barely scratched the surface when I was there, but it's known as one of the best cities in the world for skating. Lots of plazas with benches and such and no hassle from authority figures. That's a big one for me as I get older... don't really feel like running from cops anymore

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's a shot bar with the largest and craziest menu ever a couple blocks away to start it off... can't remember the name.

I think you're talking about "Chupitos". That place is a ton of fun.

There was also a great Thai restraunt right around there called "Goa".

Man, you're in for a treat. I stayed there for about six months about a year ago. I have to go back sometime but the euro would kill my budget.

BTW I would take the skate, it's a great city for it and a good way to meet the local people and get drugs.

There's a shot bar with the largest and craziest menu ever a couple blocks away to start it off... can't remember the name.

I think you're talking about "Chupitos". That place is a ton of fun.

Yeah that's the ticket... way fun. Watching my coworker take a Monica Lewinsky shot was interesting

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Ok im going to attempt to squeeze the skateboard into the bike box.
    actually carry on is a bag + a personal item right?
    maybe ill go that route. Ive got today to work it out.
    thanks for the info.

anyone else?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I have arrived. didnt get to bring the skateboard but biking in this city is amazing. friends and I have biking the city looking for graff spots. anyone know of those or any else of the above mentioned?

• Grab a meal at Can Culleretes, 5 Caller d'en Quintana... It's the oldest restaurant in the city and a landmark for both tourists and locals and hard to beat for a great, affordable meal.

Make sure you get some churros and hot chocolate for breakfast and by all means, if you have a kitchen, go to the Mercat Boqueria and prepare to have your mind blown by the overwhelming amount of good food...

Also there's a little bar/restaurant in the back that's crazed.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Amazing city. Can't remember much as it was 13 years ago and I was drunk most of the time. But still.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

ive already strolled through this spot. im staying 2 blocks away. the fish selection is off the hok. i wish i had a kitchen.

??anybody have any hostel reccomends?

being on la ramblas is loud till 8am. the balcony is the realness though

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Wah Wah and the shop a little bit up from it, the markets on the weekend... those are the best bet... and travelling to attic sales out of the city...

peace.

any one know where in town wah wah is??

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Riera Baixa 14

I wasn't that enthusiastic about their selection when I was there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I say this in every Barcelona post. After you have seen all the Gaudi and Gothic sites you have to go here. One of the greatest buildings ever.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Riera Baixa 14

I wasn't that enthusiastic about their selection when I was there.

what part of town is this? its not on my map. I hit up some street vendors with pretty boring records for no less than 15 euros. I hope wah wah is better than that.

• Riera Baixa is in the RAVAL area, very central and close to the MACBA (Museum of Contemporary Art) square. There are a few shops on that street and a nice small restaurant that I would also recomend (can??t remember the name though).
    Enjoy
    Javi

Here's the list of restaurants we hit up on our trip...

------------------------------------------------------

Saturday:
    Santa Maria
    Comerc 17
    93 315 12 27
    Everything is tasty, recommend the Dracula for dessert

Sunday:
    Market Restaurant
    Comte Borrell, 68
    93 289 0130
    Looks fancy but not expensive (20 euro for salad, entree, dessert, wine, and coffee)

Monday:
    Trobador
    Rambla Catalunya 2-4 (this is on Las Ramblas)
    93 318 40 41

Tuesday:
    La Barca del Salamanca
    Moll de Gregal, 13 - 17 (at the Port Olimpic, there are little bars to go to after dinner)
    93 221 18 37
    Should have the concierge make reservations. Recommend the Lobster Paella and the seafood platter

Wednesday:
    Aire de Mar
    inside the Grand Marina Hotel
    Moll Barcelona S/N
    936 039 000

Thursday:
    Tapac 24
    Carrer de la Diputaci?? 269
    934 880 977
    The chef for Comerc 24 opened Tapac 24. It's open from 8 am - midnight.
    http://www.comerc24.com/

Friday:
    We just picked some random spot near the Apolo

Saturday:
    Comer?? 24
    Comer?? 24 --address is the name of the restaurant
    Reservations required, very expensive but very tasty. This is where we had the granache wine, ask Bill for the name.
    +34 933 192 102

Chupitos (shot bar - for cheap shots that are lit on fire)
    Aribao 77
    Go here before going to La Fira.

La Fira
    Carrer Proven??a 171 off Aribao

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Here's the list of restaurants we hit up on our trip...

------------------------------------------------------

Saturday:
    Santa Maria
    Comerc 17
    93 315 12 27
    Everything is tasty, recommend the Dracula for dessert

Sunday:
    Market Restaurant
    Comte Borrell, 68
    93 289 0130
    Looks fancy but not expensive (20 euro for salad, entree, dessert, wine, and coffee)

Monday:
    Trobador
    Rambla Catalunya 2-4 (this is on Las Ramblas)
    93 318 40 41

Tuesday:
    La Barca del Salamanca
    Moll de Gregal, 13 - 17 (at the Port Olimpic, there are little bars to go to after dinner)
    93 221 18 37
    Should have the concierge make reservations. Recommend the Lobster Paella and the seafood platter

Wednesday:
    Aire de Mar
    inside the Grand Marina Hotel
    Moll Barcelona S/N
    936 039 000

Thursday:
    Tapac 24
    Carrer de la Diputaci?? 269
    934 880 977
    The chef for Comerc 24 opened Tapac 24. It's open from 8 am - midnight.

Friday:
    We just picked some random spot near the Apolo

Saturday:
    Comer?? 24
    Comer?? 24 --address is the name of the restaurant
    Reservations required, very expensive but very tasty. This is where we had the granache wine, ask Bill for the name.
    +34 933 192 102

Chupitos (shot bar - for cheap shots that are lit on fire)
    Aribao 77
    Go here before going to La Fira.

La Fira
    Carrer Proven??a 171 off Aribao

Grasias Ferrari. i will have to peep. my compadres and i have been a little to no spending money kick but we will break soon and throw down for some good food.
    i am more and more regretting not bringing the skateboard. im gonna try to pick one up from one of the local sponsored kids. i hear most are.