The Electric Express

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone have any band info on these guys, other than the fact that they released some records out of Greensboro, NC and then on AVCO? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Anyone have any band info on these guys, other than the fact that they released some records out of Greensboro, NC and then on AVCO? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Check out http://www.carolinasoul.org and see what you can find there.
    J P-mutt would definitely have band info on them, his email is on the webpage.

• done and done. i should have just done that first before i posted the thread, but i thought possibly someone might have a something on here as well. thanks!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Electric Express released some stuff on Linco. I have one funk 45 promo of theirs.

Electric Express - Where You Coming From (Linco LO-1022, 1971)
    http://www.divshare.com/download/3811701-b70

There are a couple listed on funk45.com also

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&search=547&cat=id
    http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&search=1962&cat=id

• thanks. checking the files out. i have a good idea of what records they released, just needing some member band info, etc. cheers-

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I haven't looked real hard but I've never been able to find any info on them.

• not much on them really. we'll see. many thanks for the info and tracks.

• I had planned on doing an article about them and Linco years ago, but unfortunately didn't have much luck **at the time**, with the hopes of perhaps finding the master tapes if they still existed, it would be great to hear what happened after the fade of "It's The Real Thing (Part 1)". Eg*n had told me that one of the guys who produced the song was a bit stubborn and difficult to negotiate with, and that was the guy I had wanted to talk with. It may be different now, if the man is still alive, but I don't know.

I wanted to do the article because "It's The Real Thing" was the 45 that made me want to dig much deeper, and that was when I cut class during high school and raided local pawn shops. I had hoped to be able to say "this was the record that started it for me", and that was a good 20 years ago.

I for one would like to know how Atlantic picked them up for just three 45's, while the rest of the Linco stuff remained independent. Since three 45's were made, was an album ever "in the works"? That's what I want to know.

BTW - one day I'll get that Versatile Gents 45, Mr. Al*p*tt.

• Eg*n had told me that one of the guys who produced the song was a bit stubborn and difficult to negotiate with, and that was the guy I had wanted to talk with. It may be different now, if the man is still alive, but I don't know.

he's an asshole, and i hope he dies a painful death (he owes me $800).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Egon or the producer of the Linco stuff?

• haha not Eg*n...the guy (I have to assume) they were referring to.

• haha not E*gan...the guy (I have to assume) they were referring to.

The person I had hoped to talk with was Walter Grady, and there are three in the same area, all of which didn't answer my inquiries at the time.

• haha not E*gan...the guy (I have to assume) they were referring to.

The person I had hoped to talk with was Walter Grady, and there are three in the same area, all of which didn't answer my inquiries at the time.

well consider yourself lucky, the guy is a pathological liar and I'm convinced he has a serious drug or alcohol or gambling problem.

• [color: green]
    I wanted to do the article because "It's The Real Thing" was the 45 that made me want to dig much deeper, and that was when I cut class during high school and raided local pawn shops. I had hoped to be able to say "this was the record that started it for me", and that was a good 20 years ago.

I for one would like to know how Atlantic picked them up for just three 45's, while the rest of the Linco stuff remained independent. Since three 45's were made, was an album ever "in the works"? That's what I want to know.
    [/color]

I assumed the reason why Atlantic picked up the option on three singles by the Electric Express is because "It's The Real Thing" was a hit (#15 on Billboard's soul charts in 1971), so there was reason to believe they'd have a followup. Like you, I'm surprised they didn't get an album out of the deal myself.

Eg*n had told me that one of the guys who produced the song was a bit stubborn and difficult to negotiate with, and that was the guy I had wanted to talk with. It may be different now, if the man is still alive, but I don't know.

he's an asshole, and i hope he dies a painful death (he owes me $800).

I guess y'all are talking about Grady Tate aka "Shady Grady". I've heard various stories (none of which I can recall details to though).

• whaaa??? no, not Grady Tate. Walter Grady.

whaaa??? no, not Grady Tate. Walter Grady.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

• I assumed the reason why Atlantic picked up the option on three singles by the Electric Express is because "It's The Real Thing" was a hit (#15 on Billboard's soul charts in 1971), so there was reason to believe they'd have a followup. Like you, I'm surprised they didn't get an album out of the deal myself.

The other two singles were nothing more than variations of the same song, and I've always been curious what made Avco pick them up. "Life Ain't Easy" was somewhat decent but of course by 1974 the sound was a bit different from "It's The Real Thing".