Records that were played 'wet'

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I don't know the correct term for it, but you know... there were record players that ran with a special fluid to reduce the background noise. And people say that you can't play records that were played on those wet systems on a regular player anymore. Because the fluid causes some thin film and crust. You will have to play the records on a wet system forever. Unless you clean the record really really well. Does anyone have any experince with collections that were played on wet systems? Is it possible to play them on regulat turntables again? How do I have to clean them?THANKS!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The idea of a wet system that creates a film on the record and that can't be played by other record players makes me wanna kick the inventor in the nuts.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    wet systems

wow, I never heard of such a thing

playing records while wet is a common cleaning technique, but for everyday listening?

weird

---

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    could have been a euro thing then. but it seems to have been pretty popular over here in the 70s.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i've heard of it. Haven't seen one of those in awhile. I call bullshit though. They should play fine on regular turntables.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    this is still popular among certain collectros. Lenco still produces this shit. They basically need a proper cleaning and you can use them as usual. It??s bullshit, that you can never play them "dry" again.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    You have records covered in gunk? Try regular wood glue. Let it dry for about 24 hours and peel it off, this should get a lot of the crap off (if not all).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so i figure it's a euro audiphilando related thing. i heard that those records sound teriible on dry systems. checked a few other forums and guess i won't buy such a collectiNO.

what was the fluid used on the records???

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    special fluid from lenco. i think it was a swiss brand. it seems odd that it left a film on the records. and that that film didn't affect the quality on future listens. but what do i know...

there is a lenco-lovers forum. They seem hardcore over there. If anybody could answer your question they could.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    there is a lenco-lovers forum. They seem hardcore over there. If anybody could answer your question they could.

ok then. forget about it!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    there really IS a lenco lovers forum? WTH?!

u thought I was bullshitting you??? ....nope

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

YOU DISS LENCO YOU DISS YOURSELF

well, I'm not a Lenco "lover", but the wheel drive thing in Lenco TTs is
    you know, a rubber wheel under the platter.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You have records covered in gunk? Try regular wood glue. Let it dry for about 24 hours and peel it off, this should get a lot of the crap off (if not all).

Better to use PVA glue like they use in schools.