Anyone see Afrika Bambaataa spin recently ?

hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I've got a friend who's wanting me to go see him tonight in SF. What can be expected ? Does he bring it, or will it be a rehashed set of hip hop classics i've heard in the clubs hundred of time before ?

Comments

• I can't speak with any actual knowledge on the subject, so I really shouldn't be posting, but I was under the impression that he was a lot more on the house/dance tip these days.

Maybe some hip hop classics, but with a glow stick lean?

That's all I've got.

• yeah, someone told me he spins electro now. i was like what kind of electro ? electro as in boogie down pop locking electro, or electro house, or electro clash wtf ? dude was like electro man, haha.

• be ready to hear kraftwerk transeurope express in some shape or form.

ive heard similar things about bam spinning 'electro' and heard an older (late 90s) mix of his that was several of his own tunes (yes planet rock) and other rave-ish boogie shiz..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've got a friend who's wanting me to go see him tonight in SF. What can be expected ? Does he bring it, or will it be a rehashed set of hip hop classics i've heard in the clubs hundred of time before ?

I toured Bam around Austin with some of the membership of the Zulu Nation back in like 97.

He didn't play any hip hop/soul/funk/anything worth while whatsoever. When he headlined the RAVE, he got into 3 or 4 extremely poorly mixed, self-produced dance cuts on some euro-imprint before the Austin PD shut the show down.

He's a good dude, but he apparently believes that Dionne Warwick's "Here I am" is one of the funkiest records ever.

• Man these responses are not making me want to shell out 20 bucks to see him. I guess it would be more for the whole "I saw Bam play, he's a legend', than for the "damn he killed it last night" !

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I saw him play last year. Beyond that I have no comment.

• I saw him play about a year and half ago. He wasn't amazing, but it was good. He played electro, disco, bmore club, and about 8 versions of planet rock back to back.

I'm glad I saw him, but wouldn't rush back to see him again.

• yeah that mix i heard had planet rock for days..id dont rememeber if it was multiple versions or he just played every second of that eight or nine min track..

• indyindy 58 Posts
    Hi,

seen him in 2005 in a Zulu kinda Jam with Grandmaster Caz.

Afrikas Set was really one of the nicest alltogether mixes ive seen so far

Go schack it out ( representin Schwarzenegger dialekt

so i rate :

indy

• I Have a lot of respect for Bam,His place in DJ History is unquestionable.
    But,I heard he dropped that shitty ass Cher track from a couple years back.God damn Bam....Cher?