How often do you get burned on grading on eBay?

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Curious. I had a good streak going but now I've just been getting burned or getting some highly questionable grading. 5 times in the last two months, twice on some "Goldmine EX" arriving "HAMMERED+" as I know I grade the right way and people who buy from me are happy but this really blows if the market standard is such garbage.I have by far the worst luck with hip-hop 12s and 45s. I've never really had a problem with expensive records, but it is driving me crazy trying to buy a cheap $10 record and choosing between 4 sellers, all with 99.9% feedback, whose grading I don't trust at all.Grading records is really not that hard.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Curious. I had a good streak going but now I've just been getting burned or getting some highly questionable grading. 5 times in the last two months, twice on some "Goldmine EX" arriving "HAMMERED+" as I know I grade the right way and people who buy from me are happy but this really blows if the market standard is such garbage.

I have by far the worst luck with hip-hop 12s and 45s. I've never really had a problem with expensive records, but it is driving me crazy trying to buy a cheap $10 record and choosing between 4 sellers, all with 99.9% feedback, whose grading I don't trust at all.

Grading records is really not that hard.

VG+ = Record Rashoman.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'd say at least half of the records I've bought through eBay have been over-graded to some degree. Usually not too, too bad, but I've learned to expect anything I get from a random unknown seller will be at least a grade off... which is why I'm pretty selective when spending real money.

• I have by far the worst luck with hip-hop 12s and 45s.

Try buying African and Jamaican records. But really, I know what you mean, in reality it's probably one in five deals that are way off.

I'd say at least half of the records I've bought through eBay have been over-graded to some degree. Usually not too, too bad, but I've learned to expect anything I get from a random unknown seller will be at least a grade off... which is why I'm pretty selective when spending real money.

I wouldn't say my experience is quite that bad...maybe about 10% of the time, I get a record that's at least one or two grades below what was advertised but given that I usually try to stay as close to NM as possible, if I end up with something VG+, I'm ok with that. And I've had some really pleasant experiences with records that are marked and scuffed up yet play NM.

Also, I find that high-end record stores usually undergrade, which is nice, especially when they dock the price in order to make up for whatever cosmetic mars are present.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I usually try to stay as close to NM as possible, if I end up with something VG+, I'm ok with that.

Same here, and this is something I can live with when it's a $20 record... but when I'm spending $100 I'd like NM to be pretty damn close to NM.

• I had some luck lately. Bought a couple of records graded as VG+ but they were near mint when they arrived.
    The magic of transatlantic travelling I suppose.

I usually try to stay as close to NM as possible, if I end up with something VG+, I'm ok with that.

Same here, and this is something I can live with when it's a $20 record... but when I'm spending $100 I'd like NM to be pretty damn close to NM.

Word.

The thing is - I can deal with clicks since, in the worst case scenario, I can edit those out. But cue burns burn my arse.

Nothing worse than starting a song that begins kind of quiet and you hear this SSSSCCCCCHHHHH just fuck up the vibe.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'm pretty close to changing the minimum grade I will bid on from VG+ to E or E+. So frustrating.

I'm pretty close to changing the minimum grade I will bid on from VG+ to E or E+. So frustrating.

That's the curse of the VG+. As a visual grade, it really doesn't communicate enough since it could play mint or like schitt and look exactly the same. That's why I appreciate sellers who do audio grading though I know it's a pain in the arse.

• buy from french dealers. record is EX to them is really vg+ with cracks and aches on every song.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    craig m*erer vg- = > most peoples ex+
    mansh*p ex+ = < most peoples vg-

• craig m*erer vg- = > most peoples ex+

i bought one record from cm and it was sealed.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

How many records have you actually bought from Manship? Mylatency? I'd like to agree with you guys but the few dealings Ive had with Manship, his grading was pretty much right on.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

How many records have you actually bought from Manship? Mylatency? I'd like to agree with you guys but the few dealings Ive had with Manship, his grading was pretty much right on.

Same. I've bought loads from both sellers, and have been consistently happy with both. Only real difference I've experienced is that Moerer has actually sent me under-graded records before. Nice one.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    What? With the double don, double john john gotti on the track, I thinks not.