FA Cupset

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man, reading this thread was depressing. It was nice to see my team win the other night.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Man, reading this thread was depressing. It was nice to see my team win the other night.

Well, yeah, I'm Gooning for Arsenal, but I'm not expecting a sparkling display from them either, and as a fan, I'd be more than happy with a 2-0 win. The Arse have lost the rhythm they had at the start of the season, and I just wish that along with the amazingly cheap long-term investment buys Wenger makes, that he would splash out now and then on a proven super-star to pick them up when the team is in poor form.

• Arsenal are through.

Does Chelsea make an exit tomorrow at home? I hope so.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Arsenal are through.

Wenger = Vindicated
    Avram = Smelling like week-old washing

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Arsenal are through.

Despite knowing the tedious bragging that would result from Arsenal's victory I was still 'gunning' (thank you, thank you) for them to win last night. Their continuing insistence on trying to pass the ball in the 6 yard box was frustrating but they more than deserved the victory. Hell of a result for the team.

I only saw the highlights, but that 2-0 in Milan could be big on the domestic front as well - Arsenal looked to have lost a lot of momentum, and at present I see Man U overhauling the slim advantage L'Arse have in the Prem, but if they can build on this, and all the other cliches that get used after a victory in Europe, who knows?*

Baby steps...

...one step at a time.

* Arsene does, of course!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    The Arse have lost the rhythm they had at the start of the season, and I just wish that along with the amazingly cheap long-term investment buys Wenger makes, that he would splash out now and then on a proven super-star to pick them up when the team is in poor form.

While i am elated with the win last night, and i hope and expect this to pick them up a little in the PL, i still think there is room for a few more experienced players to come into the side.

i would like to see Arsenal invest in some proven (i.e. 23-26yr old) players over the summer. As much as I dig the young boys (pause!!) on the team now, i think they could really benefit from some additional experience on the pitch.

I only saw the highlights, but that 2-0 in Milan could be big on the domestic front as well - Arsenal looked to have lost a lot of momentum, and at present I see Man U overhauling the slim advantage L'Arse have in the Prem, but if they can build on this, and all the other cliches that get used after a victory in Europe, who knows?*

Yeah I said at the start of the season that I suspected Arsenal lack the depth in their squad to maintain a title run and I still believe this to be true (will eat my words if I'm proven wrong obviously).
    I think if they had lost last night after playing so well they could have entered a minor free fall - while this victory has stopped the rot I have my suspicions that it may be the emotional high point of the season for them.

Oh yeah, keep an eye on Chelsea, I've got a horrible feeling that they're not out of the running by a long way.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yeah I said at the start of the season that I suspected Arsenal lack the depth in their squad to maintain a title run and I still believe this to be true (will eat my words if I'm proven wrong obviously).
    I think if they had lost last night after playing so well they could have entered a minor free fall - while this victory has stopped the rot I have my suspicions that it may be the emotional high point of the season for them.

Oh yeah, keep an eye on Chelsea, I've got a horrible feeling that they're not out of the running by a long way.

You guys don't mind if I sit this one out, I hope?

You guys don't mind if I sit this one out, I hope?

Ha ha, Stevie G's declaration of Premiership title ambitions are always one of the highlights of the pre-season press releases. I wouldn't write you guys off making the CL final again though, I certainly don't want to face you in this competition.

LOL, the 'Pool will be sitting out Europe as well as the League if they don't pull their socks up.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Torres.

Torres.

Hell of a player and not necessarily out of the running for top goal scorer this season (his third hat trick this season!).

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    manuel neuer best goalkeeper ever in one game?

this is just one of the saves he did including 2 penaltie s
    in the shoot out

youtube

p. shoot out

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Barnsley up 1-nil at the 70th minute!

Can they do it AGAIN??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Can they do it AGAIN??

Yes, they can!

This thread title has turned into a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I want to see a Cardiff vs Barnsley final, with Barnsley winning it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

This thread title has turned into a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I want to see a Cardiff vs Barnsley final, with Barnsley winning it.

Heh. I'd imagine the smart money would be on Portsmouth to win the Cup now, and there's a sentence I never imagined I'd ever be typing. This season's competition has been all about the less-fancied sides tearing up the form book, though, and although Portsmouth are the strongest of those remaining, it'd be a fool who ruled out the possibility of further upsets.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I have no love for any of the remaining teams

West Brom: Greenings hair = nagl
    Cardiff: Welsh hatred for English, QED
    Pompey: Redknapp shuns BBC? And now deigns to give access to his giant intellect? No thanks you iffy spiv.

Which leaves Barnsley. I will discreetly ride.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

toby tyke...

Barnsley vs. Cardiff
    Portsmouth vs. West Brom

It'd be funny if, after years of the FA Cup Final being held at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff made it to the final now it's back at Wembley.

• Torres.

Lampard Captain = AGL

• HAHAHA

man, this is the last place i expected to find this. Barnsley is where i live and have done for most of my life. to people outside of the UK i usually have to tell them "near Sheffield" as they have no clue where the fuck Barnsley is... maybe now they might do? fuck it, maybe if cardiff and the portsmouth fall the way of Liverpool and Chelsea, everyone will do

Lampard Captain = AGL

The points would have been nice but I just can't bring myself to field Fat Frank no matter how many goals he scores.

Oh yeah Waximilien, congrats to Barnsley are definitely in order. However, anyone else suspect that the semi finals and final may have the lowest FA Cup viewing figures of modern times?

• yeah, it's not exactly an exciting prospect in either case and to be honest, Barnsley had a better chance against West Brom or Portsmouth as they seem to have the ability to raise their game when they're given no chance of victory. that said, if it is Portsmouth or West Brom v. Barnsley in the final it'd be incredible and I'd be a lot more interested in that than another Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs final to be honest... I could be biased though

yeah, it's not exactly an exciting prospect in either case and to be honest, Barnsley had a better chance against West Brom or Portsmouth as they seem to have the ability to raise their game when they're given no chance of victory. that said, if it is Portsmouth or West Brom v. Barnsley in the final it'd be incredible and I'd be a lot more interested in that than another Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs final to be honest... I could be biased though

Yep, cosine on being happy to avoid another top 4 vs top 4 final for a good couple of years at least. I just think that the FA Cup attraction for a lot of supporters is the potential of giant killer games and without the big teams left in it the romanticism is lost. Still can't quite believe those quarter final results though.

• yeah, i know what you're saying. after liverpool and chelsea, if barnsley do make it past cardiff ok, neither portsmouth nor west brom can compare to the teams they've already knocked out... tough break, in a really odd way

I will be riding for Barnsley after having worked up in Dearne Valley for a bit. Just next to the cop shop HQ outside Mexborough.

Best bits were I had to translate from Yorkshire > English for some southerners, plus the security guards had a good racket in pr0n DVDs.

I never saw "Barnsley Girls" though, as I reckon I already had better in my stash.