Assault on Precinct 13 (OG) Appreciation

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I was about 8 or 9 y.o. when i first saw this flick...Two things stood out (at this age)1. A bullet to the head of a youngster 2. Blood everywhereThis flick is

Comments

• good movie...not sure those screen shots really, ya know, do it justice.

on the other hand there's lots of dark shots in that movie and the contrast is not great.

this movie needs a digital remaster.

• Yeah, I was Googling the images and just wanted to get something to share...

The silencers were

• Very good movie, one of Carpenter's best. And the music is top-notch too.

• Very good movie, one of Carpenter's best. And the music is top-notch too.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    This movie is a guilty pleasure for me...it's one of those movies that makes me laugh, just like Deathrace 2000. The best scene in the movie is when the guy says something like "not the Chola!" lol. It's worth watching for that scene alone. Had me in tears in the first time I saw it. I might have to watch this one again sometime soon.

• This movie is a guilty pleasure for me...it's one of those movies that makes me laugh, just like Deathrace 2000. The best scene in the movie is when the guy says something like "not the Chola!" lol. It's worth watching for that scene alone. Had me in tears in the first time I saw it. I might have to watch this one again sometime soon.

I remember seeing this on late night TV when I was a kid and it blew me away. A couple of years ago, the local korean owned video spot was going outta business,so they were selling off their movies for like a buck a piece. Soon as I saw the OG vhs issue, I scooped it up quick!

The scene you're referring to is pretty funny. The gang members declare war on the precinct by placing a flag-sized piece of canvas with some symbol painted on it. "Oh, man... they're declaring a cholo... what's that mean?... it means they're not afraid to die!"

Fuckin classic!

http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_movies/assault_precinct13.htm

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Like a zombie movie without zombies. In a good way.

Yeah i always thought that this movie was Carpenter's zombie film and the reason why he never went near this ground again (though there is a similar scene in Escape From New York where Snake's holed up).

It's an absolute favourite of mine and still remember the shock when they killed the kid, just something that would never happen in a film these days in such a ruthless manner. I know that Carpenter loves his Howard Hawks movies and this shares the attitude of straight to the point action. No elaborate back stories, no sentiment, just straight in there.

Speaking of digitally cleaned versions, when they rereleased this recently I was torn between getting the american version with commentary or the cleaner print of the UK version - plumped for the UK R2 version and the print is noticeably clearer.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    carpenter is a dark motherfucker and i think he caught a lot of shit for waxing that little girl from the us press
    she was in a few disney joints and mad tv/comercials at that time

also the remake was ass in spite of casting top dog larry fishburne

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Speaking of digitally cleaned versions, when they rereleased this recently I was torn between getting the american version with commentary or the cleaner print of the UK version - plumped for the UK R2 version and the print is noticeably clearer.

I need this.

• she was in a few disney joints and mad tv/comercials at that time

Kim Richards...

YIKES!!

• that chick still freaks me out. wasnt she like psychic or something?

anyways, did anyone see the remake? is it good?

• anyways, did anyone see the remake? is it good?

The remake wasn't that bad, they changed a lot of things for better or worse. I'd give the original 8/10 and the remake 4/10.