Liverpool strut...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
heyo, I'll be across the pond march 12th-15th doing a festival with my dance company. Any strutters from there? Where to eat? Where to shop? Guest gigs? etc...Thanks!

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    heyo,

I'll be across the pond march 12th-15th doing a festival with my dance company. Any strutters from there?

Where to eat? Where to shop? Guest gigs? etc...

Thanks!

You'll be needing a dollar bin scouser then.....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What does your dance company do?

Sorry, can't help you with Liverpool.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Doc McCoy is Scouse, but did the needful and GTFOOT, IIRC. It was like, I dunno, Detroit in the 1980s last time I went but I haven't been there in years - apparently they are chucking at the place. I remember when it were all trees etc.

• reading and newcastle at home while you're there. take the anfield tour.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Doc McCoy is Scouse, but did the needful and GTFOOT, IIRC. It was like, I dunno, Detroit in the 1980s last time I went but I haven't been there in years - apparently they are chucking at the place. I remember when it were all trees etc.

Heh.

I haven't been back there for a few years either, but it's changed a lot over the last decade or so. Things have definitely picked up in recent times, and the city centre's a lot livelier than it was during the 80s. A lot of the redevelopment that's taken place as part of the European City of Culture build-up hasn't gone too down well with the natives, though, and as I'm sure you well know, Scousers never miss an opportunity to moan about anything...

Hairy Records on Bold Street used to be worth a look. It's pretty dingy, but there was quite a decent soul/funk section last time I was there, and tons of rock stuff of all stripes.

Essence Records used to be on Bold Street as well, but I believe it's now in the Liverpool Palace round the corner on Slater Street. The Bold Street spot used to be good, so I've no reason to suspect this one will be any different. On Wood Street is Probe, which is probably better for newer stuff. The original shop on Button Street (now a clothing store) was the stuff of legend - I got a big chunk of my musical education courtesy of that place, and a few of the staff there went on to big things - Pete Burns of Dead or Alive, Paul Rutherford of Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Gary Dwyer of The Teardrop Explodes.

Quiggins on Aigburth Road, further out of the city centre, has a couple of secondhand spots as well, and Allkinds on Smithdown Road also sells secondhand records. I think the opening hours are a bit irregular, though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Doc

there used to be a tiny shop in the city centre, maybe you could get 5 people in there max, I got a host of og pic cover punk and new wave minties in there probably 88/89; did you know it, is it still there?
    Great shop....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Doc

there used to be a tiny shop in the city centre, maybe you could get 5 people in there max, I got a host of og pic cover punk and new wave minties in there probably 88/89; did you know it, is it still there?
    Great shop....

The only shops I used to frequent with any regularity in the 80's (and I'm talking early 80's now) were Probe, Baktrax (the secondhand spot almost next door to Probe), Cheverton and the record department downstairs at Rumbelows on Whietchapel, across the road from Probe. I've honestly no recollection of the place you mention at all - sounds like it may have come and gone during the time I was living in Manchester and trying to catch a bargain from the lunatic who ran Pandemonium on Oxford Road...

Baktrax used to be amazing. I remember scooping fistfuls of James Brown 45s on King at about 25p a shot from that place around 1980/81. I picked up almost the entire Parliament/Funkadelic catalogue for peanuts at the same spot. I often wonder what else I could have caught if I'd been a little more savvy.

• What does your dance company do?

http://decadancetheatre.com/main3.html

thanks for the info. My grandfather was from there, so my dad is gonna send me some info too, but that's more 'family tree' type stuff. so thanks for the info.

any place to get some scouse? sounds like an interesting dish..

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What does your dance company do?

http://decadancetheatre.com/main3.html

thanks for the info. My grandfather was from there, so my dad is gonna send me some info too, but that's more 'family tree' type stuff. so thanks for the info.

any place to get some scouse? sounds like an interesting dish..

Good stuff.

I liked the 'tron' part, where they're dancing to a beat made from serge gainsbourgs' requiem pour un con.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I often wonder what else I could have caught if I'd been a little more savvy.

Not much, I was in town for 9 bells on a Saturday for make teh digz0r!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    bomp - i'm going to be there in late october, staying near the Uni (Georgian Quarter?). are there any futbal matches happening in the area between the 27th and 30th? food recos? any good fleas? (anyone local these days?)