I CAIN'T STOP TALKIN' ALL CUNTRY

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Funny................When NYC was the dominant force in HIP HOP, all you out of towners were cloning us for years. Then with time everyone developed their own styles. You didnt like when NYC acted snobby. So why is it that we absorb the styles that youve brought to the table you get possesive? Just remember the blueprint. Be Above hatin' back. Our attitude was uncalled for then and I'd hope that attitude wont come from outoftowners.

You not talkin' about me here are you, Batmon? 'Cuz I'm basically a New Yorker... grew up in Ct. 30 mins. away from Yankee Stadium, raised on channels 2-4-5-7-9-11 and 13, 77 WABC AM, Paco on 92 KTU and the Chief Rocker on 'BLS. Mets, Yanks, Knicks, Giants, Jets, etc. I could go on but you get the picture. So basically I'm talking about my own peoples when I talk about NY rappers. Yeah, I rep Philly now, but home is still home. It just seems crazy to me that the home of hip hop, which once used to clown southern rappers, is now trying to sound just like them. I mean, accepting the styles of different regions is cool, but trying to be them? It's one thing to do a little line here and there where you put on a faux country drawl just for fun, but to adopt that style just because it's obviously the dominant sound right now seems reeeeeal fake to me. I'll say it again- BE YOURSELF. If people ain't feelin' that authentic NYC sound right now, so be it. Just be content with your own dick, because hoppin' on that popular new dick in town is very PASUE IMO.

If you grew up here,then you would know that most artists follow the trends of the industry just to stay relavent. From Gangsta,BlackPower,to Dirty South, cats will continue to adopt dominant styles. This practice is standard. Sometimes it urks me to but I accept it as an industry practice.

Ps. Yankee Stadium is my hood. 1 minute away, Dont get it twisted.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    If you grew up here,then you would know that most artists follow the trends of the industry just to stay relavent. From Gangsta,BlackPower,to Dirty South, cats will continue to adopt dominant styles. This practice is standard. Sometimes it urks me to but I accept it as an industry practice.

If you knew the history of where you grew up, you would know that it's a relatively new thing for New York to hop on the dicks of other regions. Basically just the past 10 years or so. But NEVER so blatantly as to actually try to rhyme using a country accent! New Yorkers have their own accent, Atlanta has their own, etc... folls should be reppin' where they're from and give listeners a view into their own lives and experiences, not fakin' the funk trying to be somebody else just to sell records. Other regions didn't start taking over until they stopped trying to be NY and just did them. So for NY to now be on some other shit is just straight wack to me.
    One of the problems right now is that people are too quick to just "accept industry practices". I will say it again and again- BE YOURSELF. If that means that you are no longer relevant in the eyes of some, then it just is what it is. Move on and don't be mad, UPS is hirin'.

If you knew the history of where you grew up, you would know that it's a relatively new thing for New York to hop on the dicks of other regions. Basically just the past 10 years or so. But NEVER so blatantly as to actually try to rhyme using a country accent! New Yorkers have their own accent, Atlanta has their own, etc... folls should be reppin' where they're from and give listeners a view into their own lives and experiences, not fakin' the funk trying to be somebody else just to sell records. Other regions didn't start taking over until they stopped trying to be NY and just did them. So for NY to now be on some other shit is just straight wack to me.
    One of the problems right now is that people are too quick to just "accept industry practices". I will say it again and again- BE YOURSELF. If that means that you are no longer relevant in the eyes of some, then it just is what it is. Move on and don't be mad, UPS is hirin'.

What about KOOL G RAP doing an album w/ SIR JINX during the WEST COAST movement.That wasnt a result of giving up his/her identity. This is not a new thing. 10 years is a lifetime in HIP HOP son. The game has always moved at a fast rate.
    "BE YOURSELF" is a romantic notion that doesnt pay the fuckin' bills. Stetsasonic did a Miami Bass track back in the day(more than 10 yrs ago. Know your history. How can you not pay attention to other regions, its just natural.
    NYC never relinquished their identity. Did you get mad @ Biggie for trying to rhyme like BONE. I didn't like the track but a least he made an attempt to expand his styles. This is not a new phenomenon. Goin back to Cali,LL slow rider attempt at early WEST COAst is another example of cross-regionalism.
    Know your history, and dont box artists into bullshit area codes.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Know your history

you're talking to soulman, dogee.

Know your history

ha ha, he just don't know, do he?

Know your history

And that means what to me,son?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Know your history

ease on back there, selector. I'm just trying to help you out. you're lookin mad silly right now.

Know your history

ease on back there, selector. I'm just trying to help you out. you're lookin mad silly right now.

Just drop some facts instead of name callin'. Help me out then.
    PS....like that discombobulatorboobulator shit on your mix. Now thats good "random rap".

Know your history

Is that from CT?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Batmon, for the record.

1: Stet's "Miami Bass" isn't technically a "bass" song at all, even though "bass" is the subject matter.

2: MC Breeze's "Discombobulatorboobulator" isn't that much of a "random rap" record because it was pretty well known in Philly when it came out, as was the flip side and much of Breeze's other works as well.

Okay, you may proceed.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

How old are you?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ^^^ This shit here blows that mc breeze out of the ocean.

For it's time, i'd put it up there w/ "Listen to my Turbo", "My Mic is on Fire", or "Child for Freestyle" on the sheer rawness of it all. I really don't think Phill needs an introduction.

respek.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Know your history

Is that from CT?

I think we're taking some bait here, fellas. This is starting to look suspect.

How old are you?
    Lets get to the subject at hand. Which is NYC rappers adopting a southern accents.
    Old enough to wear British Walker shoes and Mocknecks.

PS........................SON is a loose term........Ebonics page 1970.

Batmon, for the record.

1: Stet's "Miami Bass" isn't technically a "bass" song at all, even though "bass" is the subject matter.

2: MC Breeze's "Discombobulatorboobulator" isn't that much of a "random rap" record because it was pretty well known in Philly when it came out, as was the flip side and much of Breeze's other works as well.

Okay, you may proceed.

The random rap was a joke. I copped it when it came out.
    I not here to one up anybody. I'm trying to clarify history. I was trying to be "positive", BUT If "y'all" are drama starved..........bring it.

What about KOOL G RAP doing an album w/ SIR JINX during the WEST COAST movement.That wasnt a result of giving up his/her identity. This is not a new thing.

Sir Jinx's style of production was basically a New York hip hop style... mostly Bomb squad influenced, although I have heard that he also influenced them back when they did the 1st Ice Cube album, so who knows. Regardless, to equate that to dudes from NY straight apeing what brothers down south are doing to the point of using a fake accent is kinda ridiculous, hommie.

"BE YOURSELF" is a romantic notion that doesnt pay the fuckin' bills.

So you would say do anything to pay those bills, whatever gets you the most money? Shuffle, step 'n fetch it, coon, whatever it takes? Not saying that's what is happening in hip hop right now (not entirely, anyway), but at some point don't you think you have to have some degree of integrity? I guess it's up to that individual, but personally it's hard for me to respect when I hear New Yorkers rhyming seriously in a false accent. It's just... well, it's false.

Stetsasonic did a Miami Bass track back in the day(more than 10 yrs ago. Know your history. How can you not pay attention to other regions, its just natural.

"Know your history". Dude, I could write a book on hip hop history from a first hand perspective going back to 1977-78. Miami Bass comes from Bambaataa's "Planet Rock" (which technically comes from Kraftwerk, but we'll keep this in the hip hop realm). The drums on that Stet song were from the Truck Turner OST, a Bronx breakbeat staple. All that deep 808 bass comes from NY records... T-La Rock "It's Yours" started the whole thing. But even disregarding all of that, Stetsasonic WAS STILL STETSASONIC ON THAT SONG. They weren't just chanting like a Luke record or trying to adopt a country accent.

There is nothing at all wrong with incorporating some of what other regions are doing into some of your music, that's a beautiful thing IMO. My point is that in the past 10 years or so, NY seems to have lost a lot of their own identity and are just riding the jocks of other regions and biting their styles because it's the "in" thing to do. You're probably a younger dude and don't really mind it, BATMON, but to me some of it borders on blasphemy.

That's all I plan on saying on this, so you can have the last word if it makes you feel good, hommie (these soulstrut beef threads are even wacker than NYC rappers trying to sound like they from down home!).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Batmon, for the record.

Okay, you may proceed.

The random rap was a joke. I copped it when it came out.
    I not here to one up anybody. I'm trying to clarify history[/b]. I was trying to be "positive", BUT If "y'all" are drama starved..........bring it.

That's exactly what I was doing as well with the above responses to your statements. But sorry I didn't get the joke.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    BUT If "y'all" are drama starved..........bring it.

lol

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    BUT If "y'all" are drama starved..........bring it.

No beef intended. I'm not a young cat. I do mind,only if it sounds wack. When cats were rhyming over GO-GO that didnt seem blasphemous IMO. Art has no rules.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    When cats were rhyming over GO-GO that didnt seem blasphemous IMO.

Sorry, I thought this was wack as well!!! Anyway, as usual, I agree with Phill on this one. NYC suckas are ridin' crazy dick and the shit sounds reeeeeeeal wack in my opinion. They've gone from kings and trendsetters to court-jesters. It's sad and pathetic to hear an Ocean Ave. cat tryin' to rhyme like he's from N'awlins.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No beef intended. I'm not a young cat. I do mind,only if it sounds wack. When cats were rhyming over GO-GO that didnt seem blasphemous IMO. Art has no rules.

I know I said I wouldn't be back on this thread, but here I is one mo' gin (damn, how do you spell that, "gin" or "'gain"??? This country talk is more complicated than it seems). Since clarifying hip hop history is what I'm all about, it would be a criminal act for me to leave this hanging.
    There was absolutely nothing blasphemous about cats rhyming over go-go back in the days. That's what hip hop is all about, taking music from any genre imaginable and flipping it into a hip hop context. This is the key word here, BATMON- context. NYC rappers took those dope ass Troublefunk, Soul Searchers and EU beats and did their own thing with them. They were NOT trying to imitate Chuck Brown or Sugar Bear's vocal approach, accent, style, etc. LL Cool J's "Rock The Bells" features a go-go sample, but I think it's safe to say that it's totally an NYC rap record.

Anyway, it's all good, hommie. No hard feelings on my part. I was just kinda surprised you took that stance... I thought you were an older dude from the Bronx judging from some of your earlier posts, so I figured you'd understand what I was getting at. It's good that you seem open minded about music from other regions, though- I know NYC has historically been criticized for hating on anything that wasn't from New York (true to a point, but I most def remember being in Soundview Projects around 1989 seeing dudes who looked like wannabe Big Daddy Kanes bumpin' Easy E real loud from their boomboxes and jeeps!).

• Options
    (true to a point, but I most def remember being in Soundview Projects around 1989 seeing dudes who looked like wannabe Big Daddy Kanes bumpin' Easy E real loud from their boomboxes and jeeps!)

That was going on deep in the suburbs as well.

It's not just rappers either, the accent biting; you can hear it right down to Hot 97 djs like Angie and Sonny biting whatever accent is heat that month. Shit, I can remember DISTINCTLY AND PHOTOGRAPHICALLY Angie having Nelly up in the studio a couple years ago saying "blah blah blah hurrrrr", than coming right away with "I'm still trying to work on my URRRRR sound". People bite whats hot.

How many clowns on here aren't from Philly but used "jawn" on the regular? Yo, two years from there can be some heatrock Canadian homie dropping Strange Brew lyrics and EVERY rapper in America will come with "eh" at the end of his sentences.

I'm drunk and waiting to go to a wedding afterparty fuckfaces.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Know your history

I'm sayin'

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Funny................When NYC was the dominant force in HIP HOP, all you out of towners were cloning us for years. Then with time everyone developed their own styles.

this is very far from the truth. look at LA for one case study. or florida.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    funny................When NYC was the dominant force in HIP HOP, all you out of towners were cloning us for years. Then with time everyone developed their own styles.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ps......remember when everybody cloned the Das EFX delivery?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Who bumped this shit.

I had this in the stash for a slow day.

• Who bumped this shit.

daaaam, they pullin' 'em out the woodwerks now! what up brotha BATMON!

Who bumped this shit.

daaaam, they pullin' 'em out the woodwerks now! what up brotha BATMON!

No doubt, brotha.

I kept this to remind me of my first Soulstrut Hazing. Newjack steez.

I finna go back to drankin wine and watchin SNL season 3.