I CAIN'T STOP TALKIN' ALL CUNTRY

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now??? I actually cain't stop talkin' with a southern dialect lately my damn self, I must admit. What it do? I'm finnin' to stop soon, doe... fifty 'leven mo' days and this'll all be over.BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

Comments

• nah man. I been in Oklahoma for 3 1/2 years and people can still tell I'm from NY as soon as I open my mouth. I've made a concious effort not[/b] to talk like the locals, tho.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    fifty

its FIDDY.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    nah man. I been in Oklahoma for 3 1/2 years and people can still tell I'm from NY as soon as I open my mouth. I've made a concious effort not[/b] to talk like the locals, tho.

Thats a long time to live in Oklahoma. I did a 2 year stint in Okmulgee.

• I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now???
    I actually cain't stop talkin' with a southern dialect lately my damn self, I must admit. What it do? I'm finnin' to stop soon, doe... fifty 'leven mo' days and this'll all be over.

BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

you know,neither 50 or Joe Buddens sound southern to me. I know 50 doesnt really sound like most NY dudes..and maybe it sounds southern to you guys up there..but I cant hear it.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I must admit I have been trying to avoid talking this way ...my only downfall is saying "What it do" and I blame it on this man

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I thought TI was responsible for that one.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now???
    I actually cain't stop talkin' with a southern dialect lately my damn self, I must admit. What it do? I'm finnin' to stop soon, doe... fifty 'leven mo' days and this'll all be over.

BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

I get clowned up here in Brooklyn on the constant for saying "yall", "finna", "jaunt" and "urrrbody" ect. People in NY think it's the center of the universe and everything outside of their little world is backwards. I think "youse" and "waiting on line" is fucking backwards. I still rep the south hard. I have absorbed a lot from my surroundings though. Spending 8 hours a day w/ Queens and Staten Island coworkers had me speaking some strange hybrid-mason-dixon shit. Everybody in VA can hear it, and joans on me for it.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I thought TI was responsible for that one.
    Yeaah but after "tippin" I coan't stop saying it

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Funny! I'm from the mid west and lived in Texas for a while so I've always had that drawl. I always thought it was funny that people would make fun of me for saying "yall" when rappers said it all the time.

The worst part about it is that a lot of it is just not pronounceing words right. Their are so many words I didn't even know I wasn't saying right. It's not always cool to be unedumacated.

One blind guy I knew always knew it was me cuz of the drawl.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Everybody in VA can hear it, and joans on me for it.
    Delay, I ain't heard that word (joans) since I was in VA!!! Funny y'all bring this topic up. I've from the East coast (NJ), been in the Northwest (WA state),

and I'm currently Down South (GA). So I've been around and been exposed to a lot of different dialects. South Crackalack, I co-sign with you about 50. He's frontin' with that accent he's doin', but these folks down here speak that real country grammar. Peace.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

One blind guy I knew always knew it was me cuz of the drawl.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Now I come back to this thread as I listen to a Canibus song entitled "Atlanta". What is he doing on this song? Rapping with a southern accent.

50 (excuse me, "Fiddy") and Joe Buddens don't really rap country, their styles are at times just country influenced. I could put that another way, but I'll be nice.

• Options
    I'm from Long Island and sound like it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I miss the days when rappers had thick brooklyn accents.

BTW I talk like a 65 year old black man from Chicago

• I miss the days when rappers had thick brooklyn accents.

BTW I talk like a 65 year old black man from Chicago

Modern Soul...yeaahhhh yeahhhh...[/b]

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    favorite country rap by non country rap dudes

automobile - nwa

im from the country, but i dont talk country. besides, i think talking country has less to do with what you say and more to do with how much you say. you city slickers talk too much.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Y'all, I'm fixin ta git some grits and taters.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Now I come back to this thread as I listen to a Canibus song entitled "Atlanta". What is he doing on this song? Rapping with a southern accent.
    50 (excuse me, "Fiddy") and Joe Buddens don't really rap country, their styles are at times just country influenced. I could put that another way, but I'll be nice.

Funny Shit, I was just checkin' this song out while I saw your post. I kinda think this album sucks.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

..."I come from Brooklyn, the only county of kings.

I'm not alone this is a three-man sound.

That's right boy, we wear the triple-crown.

We share and share alike, and while rock the mic.

Kenny Dope and DJ Boo serve up the cuts that bite,

All others to pieces, eat 'em like Reese's,

and fold 'em up in creases.

It's not a figure of expression, it's aggression, while the Court's in Session.."

-King Grand (from Kao's "Court's In Session").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Funny Shit, I was just checkin' this song out while I saw your post. I kinda think this album sucks.

What, the Canibus album? Yeah. I just downloaded a bunch of his albums that I missed in the last few years. His new album ain't really my style, but that "Mic Club" album ain't bad at all IMO. The joint with him and G Rap? Wow. That's what I listen to hip hop for, stuff just like that. Anyway, back to the country discussion.

• do other places use the word "junt"(not jaunt) instead of joint?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

haha!

before Del poisioned them with his hippy flow

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now??? BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

I SAID THIS SAME SHIT ON HERE DAMN NEAR A YEAR AGO AND ALMOST GOT MY HEAD RIPPED OFF!!!!! I FEEL YOU PHIL.....TRUTH BE TOLD NEW YORK HAS BEEN LOST SINCE 92'!!!!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    do other places use the word "junt"(not jaunt) instead of joint?

you know what's funny? Delay said "Everybody in VA can hear it, and joans on me for it." in Mississippi they say "jawn" for "snap" (like the dozens). so when you crack a joke on somebody, that's a jawn. like on the playground somebody says something about your mama and everybody goes "oooohh jawn." they don't use jawn for everything the way Philly cats use it. or as Cosmo would say, joun.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

haha!

before Del poisioned them with his hippy flow

These dudes never got no props. The east coast liked them, self explanatory. Rappers in LA had NY accents for a minute. E-Rule for sure.

"housers"

lol

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    e-rule kinda sounds british on that that synopsis 12"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now??? BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

I SAID THIS SAME SHIT ON HERE DAMN NEAR A YEAR AGO AND ALMOST GOT MY HEAD RIPPED OFF!!!!! I FEEL YOU PHIL.....TRUTH BE TOLD NEW YORK HAS BEEN LOST SINCE 92'!!!!
    Could you explain "LOST SINCE 92'"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I guess 50 Cent set it off years ago... then who, I guess Joe Buddens? Now recently I've heard Jay-Z, Mos Def of all people, and now Li'l Kim on that new "Shut Up Bitch" track rapping with southern accents. Note to NY rappers- Y'ALL AIN'T FROM DOWN SOUTH!!! Although some of my NY heads tell me that that's how youngin's in the projects really talk now???

BE YOURSELF, DAMMIT.[/b]

Funny................When NYC was the dominant force in HIP HOP, all you out of towners were cloning us for years. Then with time everyone developed their own styles. You didnt like when NYC acted snobby. So why is it that we absorb the styles that youve brought to the table you get possesive? Just remember the blueprint. Be Above hatin' back. Our attitude was uncalled for then and I'd hope that attitude wont come from outoftowners.

Ps......remember when everybody cloned the Das EFX delivery?

Funny................When NYC was the dominant force in HIP HOP, all you out of towners were cloning us for years. Then with time everyone developed their own styles. You didnt like when NYC acted snobby. So why is it that we absorb the styles that youve brought to the table you get possesive? Just remember the blueprint. Be Above hatin' back. Our attitude was uncalled for then and I'd hope that attitude wont come from outoftowners.

You not talkin' about me here are you, Batmon? 'Cuz I'm basically a New Yorker... grew up in Ct. 30 mins. away from Yankee Stadium, raised on channels 2-4-5-7-9-11 and 13, 77 WABC AM, Paco on 92 KTU and the Chief Rocker on 'BLS. Mets, Yanks, Knicks, Giants, Jets, etc. I could go on but you get the picture. So basically I'm talking about my own peoples when I talk about NY rappers. Yeah, I rep Philly now, but home is still home. It just seems crazy to me that the home of hip hop, which once used to clown southern rappers, is now trying to sound just like them. I mean, accepting the styles of different regions is cool, but trying to be them? It's one thing to do a little line here and there where you put on a faux country drawl just for fun, but to adopt that style just because it's obviously the dominant sound right now seems reeeeeal fake to me. I'll say it again- BE YOURSELF. If people ain't feelin' that authentic NYC sound right now, so be it. Just be content with your own dick, because hoppin' on that popular new dick in town is very PASUE IMO.