what was the last movie to have an ill theme?

Ex-BoyfriendEx-Boyfriend 795 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Ive been ruminating (www.thefreedictionary.com/ruminating) on this and cant think of one from the last 15 years. The situation is similar with television. Why have we as a people seemed to have lost the ability to write memorable theme tunes? it troubles me.

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Rush hour 3 theme.

That was immediately rapped over by Nas.

Which is really a play on the Enter the Dragon theme.

- spidey

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    take that shit to soulstrut cowards.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Why have we as a people seemed to have lost the ability to write memorable theme tunes? it troubles me.

man you need to hear 64 Zoo Lane
    the best kids theme tune ever IMO

http://themes.kitjunkie.org/

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I agree. The themes for Il Postino and The English Patient will stand the test of time though...

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    David Holmes' Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen soundtracks kill it. Dude knows what he's doing.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    David Holmes' Ocean's Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen soundtracks kill it. Dude knows what he's doing.

I love Holmes' work in all of his movies, include the Ocean's joints. But do the Ocean's movies have a theme? I've seen all of them, but years apart, so I'm having trouble connecting them. Do they have a theme in common, like James Bond, or does each film have a main theme, like Enter the Dragon? I'm seriously asking as I don't know. Dope scores, yes. Dope themes? Don't know.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I am struggling to reply to a Dolo music post. Does not compute.

• "Dolo_Yeung Takes It To Sabadabada" has some ill, dramatic theme music.

Not to mention the Gay love scene has some sleazy funk grooves.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I love Holmes' work in all of his movies, include the Ocean's joints. But do the Ocean's movies have a theme? I've seen all of them, but years apart, so I'm having trouble connecting them. Do they have a theme in common, like James Bond, or does each film have a main theme, like Enter the Dragon? I'm seriously asking as I don't know. Dope scores, yes. Dope themes? Don't know.

Hm, good point. Thinking more about it, Holmes riffs variations throughout each album, so there's a consistently memorable feel. None of the albums have a designated title theme, per se.

Hm, good point. Thinking more about it, Holmes riffs variations throughout each album, so there's a consistently memorable feel. None of the albums have a designated title theme, per se.

yeah, he does have a definite style and feel, I agree. And it kicks ass, IMO.

• I dig the men in black theme - has a cinematic orchestra/herbalizer thing going on. Elfman is good.

I also dig alot of Thomas Newman (off the top of my head) - american beauty, pay it forward, meet joe black (and in tv) boston public & six feet under. Has a pretty unique percussive style.

Yann Tiersen's work is also really good.

The last movie that I remember having an actual theme (meaning that it was used as a motif for the entire movie) that was pretty cool was Catch Me if You Can This is mostly due to my extremely weak movie-watching game and less to an actual dearth of memorable movie themes. CMIYC had that cool flute/marimba thing going on on some 60's spy shit.

• Metalocalypse has a great theme. Too bad they cut it short in more recent episodes.

• Elfman is good.

saying. I gotta go with The Simpsons Movie (2007).

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Yann Tiersen's work is also really good.

Cosign on Yann. I have a few soundtracks from him and a lot are pretty good. I also dig Ennio Morricone but I don't know if he's scored anything recently.

• Bjork's theme to "Dancer in the Dark" is absolutely beautiful and classic in the way the theme is incorporated into most of the tracks on the OST.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the opening to Sexy Beast with The Stranglers' Peaches is one of the greatest EVAR.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the opening to Sexy Beast with The Stranglers' Peaches is one of the greatest EVAR.

As was their use of Mancini's "Lujon."

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

yeah, he does have a definite style and feel, I agree. And it kicks ass, IMO.

I remember loving his Out of Sight soundtrack.

taking this in another direction, i thought the Twin Peaks theme was very effective...

• Afro Samurai?

• I liked the theme to The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Not so new, "Requiem For A Dream" had a very ill theme that still plays in my head to this date. I can still see the credits rolling now with the look what the fuck just happened.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Yoko Kanno- Cowboy Bebop