Boscoe (reissue) or Death

pknypkny 549 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Has anyone out there copped the reissue yet? I got mine in the mail the other day, but my turntable is in storage, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Nice gatefold packaging and liner notes, though. And it seems like the band had some input on the reissue, so hopefully they're getting some loot off of this.

Comments

• Got 'em in the shop for the NYC crowd.

GOD DAMN US ALL!!!!

• Still ridin' for Boscoe.

• Mine's in the mail. Gatefold with notes, extra heavy vinyl ... couldn't resist.

• So how much does the origonal press go for these days?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Has anyone out there copped the reissue yet? I got mine in the mail the other day, but my turntable is in storage, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Nice gatefold packaging and liner notes, though. And it seems like the band had some input on the reissue, so hopefully they're getting some loot off of this.

Is this the one on Numero? Those guys always come correct with their shit. Those cats used to be on here. They'll probably chime in at some point. unless they're out of town on a big dig, that is.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    We're still here, just shying away from the Popeyes sides debate. LP took forever to come out (we mastered the wax three times because that intro always sounded a little thin and crispy), but I think it's one of our nicer albums.

Related: We got the Outskirts of Deep City vinyl the same day on the same truck. You haven't lived until you've unloaded three palates of LPs to the tune of 4900 pounds. Thank god for lift gates.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Related: We got the Outskirts of Deep City vinyl the same day on the same truck. You haven't lived until you've unloaded three palates of LPs to the tune of 4900 pounds. Thank god for lift gates.

As someone who used to work at a record distributor, I can cosign on this. I have felt your pain, literally.

• Related: We got the Outskirts of Deep City vinyl the same day on the same truck.

I ride hard for the Deep City comps on Numbero Uno, the best label/scene comps evar, and the best stuff Numero has put out IMO.

Im still checking out the Boscoe...I can hear why its a sweated grail for certain moments, but Im with Rey on this one...kinda tepid.

• Mine's in the mail, along with the 2 deep city comps

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Related: We got the Outskirts of Deep City vinyl the same day on the same truck.

I ride hard for the Deep City comps on Numbero Uno, the best label/scene comps evar, and the best stuff Numero has put out IMO.

Im still checking out the Boscoe...I can hear why its a sweated grail for certain moments, but Im with Rey on this one...kinda tepid.

Agree on both statements. Conceptually cool album, musically tepid.

The Deep City comp is just start to finish full of amazing tracks, great work.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the cult cargo - belize city boil up comp surprised the hell out of me. Who knew Belize got down like that. Truly great work on that one...

I'm not a fan of the boscoe, oof!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Oh man, I just ordered some Twinight 45s & the 2 Deep City LPs but didn't see the Boscoe, sheeeit, I'm gonna have to place another order now asap.

• Mine's in the mail. Gatefold with notes, extra heavy vinyl ... couldn't resist.
    have had a mp3 copy for awhyle but absoulutely had to get the vinyl.. altho i must say i was emphteeen million times more excited to get my East of Underground

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

have had a mp3 copy for awhyle but absoulutely had to get the vinyl.. altho i must say i was emphteeen million times more excited to get my East of Underground

Too bad the EoU has almost no information, pictures, gatefold, or artist participation. It could've been the real deal, instead it will need to be done again in five years.

• not a fan of Boscoe
    huge fan of Numero

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I love the capricious ways of SStrut! Boscoe gets re-issued and it's OK for folks to say they think it's kinda weak musically. Rewind to more than a year ago and folks were aghast when another Strutter and I said the exact same thing.

• have had a mp3 copy for awhyle but absoulutely had to get the vinyl.. altho i must say i was emphteeen million times more excited to get my East of Underground

Too bad the EoU has almost no information, pictures, gatefold, or artist participation. It could've been the real deal, instead it will need to be done again in five years.

yea there was a thread on here, and someone had posted an email from the lead guitar player who shed some background and had alot of kind words about the band.
    the dopest part of his post was when he said something like "The drummer said he had played with james brown, and we all had no choice but to beleive him because he was that good!". he also mentioned having the original master reels of the music stashed away somewhere.

oh here it is ; East of Underground questions

there were only 2000 lps pr3ssed , i can see alot more demand for the vinyl. i'd buy a few more for myself and i know alot of people who i have shown this record to that think it;s really heavy music.

??

-BUMP-

Newsflash: The guitarist from East of Underground has surfaced and has reached out to Wax Poetics. Details to follow.

It seems all is well that ends well.
    Here is the e-mail that the magazine received:

I would love to talk to you about East of Underground. I have no idea
    who Lou Perry is but he was never in the group. I was the lead guitar
    player from start to finish. My only guess is maybe he was the guitar
    player of the group Soap that we tied in the contest or maybe just a
    typical army screw up. I did go by "Lew" but not "Lou" and I was a
    SP5. I can probably give you enough history with detail to convince
    you I was the lead guitar player. I believe I still have the Stars and
    Stripes article about the competition and I am listed in that
    correctly. The other names all sound correct.

We were formed out of a Special Services Club in Augsburg Germany next
    to the artillery unit where some of the others and I were stationed.
    We were formed specifically to compete in the entertainment contest
    and to play in service clubs in Germany. The Special Services Director
    was a German named Hal. I was originally put in another group before
    joining East of Underground and I knew immediately it was going to be
    special. As soon as I heard the three singers I was blown away. The
    drummer claimed to have once played in James Brown's band and no one
    ever questioned it because he played so well it was believable. I
    played lead guitar on a Framus electric solid body on all but the
    Santana song which Gus had previously worked up as his own.

I received a reel to reel copy of the studio work when we got back to
    Augsburg but I'm not sure where it is but I'm sure I still have it
    somewhere. I had no idea the album was ever released even though they
    told us it would be released. I don't think I ever really believed it
    would be.

To set the record straight...we tied the group Soap for first place
    but a coin toss gave Soap the "winner's" tour and we got the "second
    place" tour. We were pretty mad at that point and there was some
    discussion in the group about not even doing the tour but in the end
    we did it.

Bobby Blackmon had a lisp and on going tonsil problems but he didn't
    want them taken out for fear of changing his voice. I can't remember
    if it was Larry or Austin that actually had an afro just like the one
    on the cover. He got away with it by compacting it enough to fit under
    his army cap. A colonel at the competition asked about his hair and
    Hal told him it was a wig and he believed it.

Before the competition Hal had arranged for us to go to a facility
    that stored wardrobe and allowed us to pick out some pretty outrageous
    costumes to wear at the competition. A big part of East of Underground
    was the stage presence that Bobby, Larry and Austin delivered.
    Fantastic showmen that knew how to get a crowd in to the music and the
    costumes only added to that presence.

We were from all corners of the country. LA, St Louis, Atlanta....and
    me...a white guy from a small town in Mississippi that had mostly
    played Beatle music. I tried to be a good ambassador for Mississippi
    but found it easier just to say I was from New Orleans where I had
    spent a good deal of time. We worked well together despite our varied
    backgrounds. Gus was the only other non African American and he was
    Hispanic...I think he was from New Mexico.

It has been fun thinking about those times and I hope I told you
    something of interest. I have enjoyed listening to the samples of the songs and
    have ordered the CD and the LP. I actually ordered them before I
    realized what was going on. I can't believe all the kind things that
    are being said and I thank you guys for re-releasing it. I had tears
    in my eyes as I was reading about the release and the reviews... it
    looks like some of the songs are getting air play. All of this has
    flooded me with memories that I cherish to this day.

sorry i did not mean to hijack this Boscoe thread y'all!

I would love to talk to you about East of Underground. I have no idea
    who Lou Perry is but he was never in the group. I was the lead guitar
    player from start to finish. My only guess is maybe he was the guitar
    player of the group Soap that we tied in the contest or maybe just a
    typical army screw up. I did go by "Lew" but not "Lou" and I was a
    SP5. I can probably give you enough history with detail to convince
    you I was the lead guitar player. I believe I still have the Stars and
    Stripes article about the competition and I am listed in that
    correctly. The other names all sound correct.

We were formed out of a Special Services Club in Augsburg Germany next
    to the artillery unit where some of the others and I were stationed.
    We were formed specifically to compete in the entertainment contest
    and to play in service clubs in Germany. The Special Services Director
    was a German named Hal. I was originally put in another group before
    joining East of Underground and I knew immediately it was going to be
    special. As soon as I heard the three singers I was blown away. The
    drummer claimed to have once played in James Brown's band and no one
    ever questioned it because he played so well it was believable. I
    played lead guitar on a Framus electric solid body on all but the
    Santana song which Gus had previously worked up as his own.

I received a reel to reel copy of the studio work when we got back to
    Augsburg but I'm not sure where it is but I'm sure I still have it
    somewhere. I had no idea the album was ever released even though they
    told us it would be released. I don't think I ever really believed it
    would be.

To set the record straight...we tied the group Soap for first place
    but a coin toss gave Soap the "winner's" tour and we got the "second
    place" tour. We were pretty mad at that point and there was some
    discussion in the group about not even doing the tour but in the end
    we did it.

Bobby Blackmon had a lisp and on going tonsil problems but he didn't
    want them taken out for fear of changing his voice. I can't remember
    if it was Larry or Austin that actually had an afro just like the one
    on the cover. He got away with it by compacting it enough to fit under
    his army cap. A colonel at the competition asked about his hair and
    Hal told him it was a wig and he believed it.

Before the competition Hal had arranged for us to go to a facility
    that stored wardrobe and allowed us to pick out some pretty outrageous
    costumes to wear at the competition. A big part of East of Underground
    was the stage presence that Bobby, Larry and Austin delivered.
    Fantastic showmen that knew how to get a crowd in to the music and the
    costumes only added to that presence.

We were from all corners of the country. LA, St Louis, Atlanta....and
    me...a white guy from a small town in Mississippi that had mostly
    played Beatle music. I tried to be a good ambassador for Mississippi
    but found it easier just to say I was from New Orleans where I had
    spent a good deal of time. We worked well together despite our varied
    backgrounds. Gus was the only other non African American and he was
    Hispanic...I think he was from New Mexico.

It has been fun thinking about those times and I hope I told you
    something of interest. I have enjoyed listening to the samples of the songs and
    have ordered the CD and the LP. I actually ordered them before I
    realized what was going on. I can't believe all the kind things that
    are being said and I thank you guys for re-releasing it. I had tears
    in my eyes as I was reading about the release and the reviews... it
    looks like some of the songs are getting air play. All of this has
    flooded me with memories that I cherish to this day.

How nice!! Thanks for posting that!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    hey! I was always never crazy about boscoe, E.O.U. either.

I ain't hattin on Chicago, I got love for Pharoahs and the recent Pieces of Peace reish (top notch).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after 3 years no one had been able to track down any of the artists. It was only after the reissue that the guitarist reached out and sent WaxPoetics an email.

If the studio tapes turn up there should be another reissue, which will sound better, and I don't see anything wrong with this happening twice. You could argue that the whole point of the first reissue was to spread the word so that the artists might come across it and come forward (which is my understanding of what happened).

Where's the beef?

hey! I was always never crazy about boscoe, E.O.U. either.

I ain't hattin on Chicago, I got love for Pharoahs and the recent Pieces of Peace reish (top notch).

I'm not saying we were the only folks to say so - just commenting on the change in temperature.

Baby, I already know great minds think alike.

PS. I love my Uniqlo jeans!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after 3 years no one had been able to track down any of the artists. It was only after the reissue that the guitarist reached out and sent WaxPoetics an email.

If the studio tapes turn up there should be another reissue, which will sound better, and I don't see anything wrong with this happening twice. You could argue that the whole point of the first reissue was to spread the word so that the artists might come across it and come forward (which is my understanding of what happened).

Where's the beef?

I'm not sure there's "beef," but this reissue game is starting to reek of the same stench that Universal et al have been crapping out since the late 80s. How many versions of the Who's Live at Leeds are there? Four on CD alone. People are wising up and not buying the 40th anniversary remaster of classic albums, so how many of them are going to line up for a five year reish anniversary of EoU? I own it, and I'm certainly not buying it again. I printed the above story when it broke last year and stuck it in my LP.

The CD is, for the most part, over to the general public. We may think that the 2K copies of EoU got snapped up by the Strut and Waxidermy community, but the reality is that this is a very tiny pool. Too tiny for a label to come out and reissue it again just for us. And that leaves the real EoU story untold, the guitarist's email merely a foot note to those in the know.

If you aren't here, you don't know the above story, and hey, maybe you don't care. But I just got off the phone with a 62 year old lady in NY who read the liners to Twinight's Lunar Rotation at a party and liked it so much she bought it for herself and 10 friends. It took three years to make that record, with a lot of doors pounded on, phone calls placed, and expensive background searches. But it was worth it, and even if you're the biggest Twinight geek in the world, there's something there for you.

The point: People in this game have to step it up. If you're gonna be on the court, you can't take granny shots from beyond the three point line. Whether it's making a 45, a mix tape, or concert poster, take that shit to the board and stuff it in the Frickin' hoop. Leave no doubt about who put it there, hang on the rim with your knees in your chest, tongue hangin' out, and a look that says, "Yes, that was me."

I think that's mostly on point but there are dozens of other CRAP reissues and compilations to hate on before EoU, many of which have ZERO liner notes, awful sound quality and really should be called bootlegs.

I do really appreciate that you guys have set the bar very high at Numero and it is why I buy your releases and stay away from the majority of the comps/reissues out there.

• anyone down with Porter Records and some of the Re-ishes they got coming out?

http://porterrecords.com/
    I never even knew that Phil Morrison from Stark Reality even made other albums even after searching and searching. Natural Food and Biriwa , so far they only have them on Cds but vinyl is in the works. i would definately grab those.
    like dude said up there about stuff being re-dished like 4 -5 times and it just getting stale, there is no need for that.
    but i do beleive rereleases like these are for people like myself, who may never be in an area of the country that may have boscoe , invaders, Natural Food, Biriwa.. or all that other dope stuff that is popping up on the re-ish tip. just becus i am gettin the re-ish does not mean i am goin to keep an eye for that, cus u better beleive i'd jump on that ish like a tiger.

so when boscoe was suppose to come out in december and got delayed, the day i received that email that said it was in stock u kno i ordered it , becus y'all kno dizam well i did not find an Og in the meantime in Oshkosh WI

i gess all i am saying is some stuff gets rereleased more then a couple times for no need when the money could spent makin more boscoe n EoU copies, cus i showed 10 people they showed 10 people and so on. pretty soon selling another 2000 copies starts to seem as much as i like havin the only copy of a record in my town i'm more about the love of music and spreading it in the end
    but u kno u sleep, u miss out, but if they do make more i;d buy

alex

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

The point: People in this game have to step it up. If you're gonna be on the court, you can't take granny shots from beyond the three point line. Whether it's making a 45, a mix tape, or concert poster, take that shit to the board and stuff it in the Frickin' hoop. Leave no doubt about who put it there, hang on the rim with your knees in your chest, tongue hangin' out, and a look that says, "Yes, that was me."

Well put, I'm a fan of Numero. Keep up the great work.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I agree and a great response. I don't see how you guys (Numero) do it anyways, and still make ends meet, and put out great schitt at the same time.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I love the capricious ways of SStrut! Boscoe gets re-issued and it's OK for folks to say they think it's kinda weak musically. Rewind to more than a year ago and folks were aghast when another Strutter and I said the exact same thing.

Cosign, when links to the MP3s were originally posted up here, most people up here were going out like our girl Babs:

Is Boscoe the best record ever? No. But I'm glad it's been legitimately reissued so that folks other than the biggest of big dudes can own a copy, and that the band gets some recognition/loot for their work.