Sleep apnea

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone suffer from this? I suspect I may. I called my doctor today and I'm awaiting a referral to a sleep clinic. I've always suspected I've suffered from this but have always procrastinated on getting help for it. I've had a few girlfriends tell me I have breathing problems when I sleep. I bought a new bed recently hoping that was causing my problems but it only helped mildly. After reading this http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/215 I kind of got excited. "I feel like a wet heavy coat has been magically lifted off my head and body"That's kind of how I feel all the time.

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my father has it. i lived with him for a bit a little while ago and at night it sounded like he was gasping for air between snores.

kind of scary

• I haven't got it, but having suffered intermittently from pretty chronic insomnia I sympathise with you. There is almost nothing worse than being permanently tired.

• my father has it. i lived with him for a bit a little while ago and at night it sounded like he was gasping for air between snores.

kind of scary

Before I dropped the weight I had it bad, and it used to scare the shit out of my wife (waking me up all hours of the night to see if I was still alive). Shit's bad.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I sometimes wake up realizing that I haven't been breathing, gasping for air. It usually comes in phases. Can't say that I dislike it though.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Anyone suffer from this? I suspect I may. I called my doctor today and I'm awaiting a referral to a sleep clinic. I've always suspected I've suffered from this but have always procrastinated on getting help for it. I've had a few girlfriends tell me I have breathing problems when I sleep. I bought a new bed recently hoping that was causing my problems but it only helped mildly. After reading this http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/215 I kind of got excited.

"I feel like a wet heavy coat has been magically lifted off my head and body"

That's kind of how I feel all the time.

Hey Arcadian,

I have this pretty bad. Many people have told me it sounds like I am going to die when I sleep. One of my friends audio taped it one time and it sounds real, real bad. My girl always makes me turn to sleep on my side which seems to help out a great deal. Seems to work for me at least. Sleeping on my back is where I get into trouble. To try and combat this, I began using a daily nose spray (steroid) to attempt and clear my nasal passages as I always assumed that was the source of the problem. I also have asthma so my problems are a bit compounded. However reading that Rogan thing makes me think it may be something else. Thanks for posting that. I may make a formal visit to the doctor.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    A friend of mine passed away 2 years ago, due partly to this condition. How he died exactly isnt clear, but his apnea was involved. he was a young dude, mid 20s, but was a big boy. There is an operation one can have for this, Im told. I got a crooked nose and get mad dramas sleeping sometimes, but I heard the apnea shit is worse.

Id go to a few doctors just to make sure you get the right advise....

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Also make sure to check your tonsils to make sure they haven't grown back--I just went to the doctor for apnea and this is a big part of my problem.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyone suffer from this? I suspect I may. I called my doctor today and I'm awaiting a referral to a sleep clinic. I've always suspected I've suffered from this but have always procrastinated on getting help for it. I've had a few girlfriends tell me I have breathing problems when I sleep. I bought a new bed recently hoping that was causing my problems but it only helped mildly. After reading this http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/215 I kind of got excited.

"I feel like a wet heavy coat has been magically lifted off my head and body"

That's kind of how I feel all the time.

Hey Arcadian,

I have this pretty bad. Many people have told me it sounds like I am going to die when I sleep. One of my friends audio taped it one time and it sounds real, real bad. My girl always makes me turn to sleep on my side which seems to help out a great deal. Seems to work for me at least. Sleeping on my back is where I get into trouble. To try and combat this, I began using a daily nose spray (steroid) to attempt and clear my nasal passages as I always assumed that was the source of the problem. I also have asthma so my problems are a bit compounded. However reading that Rogan thing makes me think it may be something else. Thanks for posting that. I may make a formal visit to the doctor.

My college roomate had this really bad. It's especially bad when he's drunk. Cosine above, you have to sleep on your side. The quick and dirty way to solve it is to get a shirt to sleep in and glue or otherwise fasten a tennis ball to the back of it. That's your sleep shirt from then on. Basically doesn't let you sleep on your back. Yet it's gentle enough where it won't wake you up if you roll onto your back for a sec. Worked for him anyway.