I don't think this has been discussed yet...

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Or maybe it has. Anyway, what's a good way to repair split seams on record jackets? Do you tape em up from the inside? Do you use glue? Looking for a way around the tried and true ghetto technique of using clear tape along the outer perimeter of the album cover. Gracias folls....

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    you really think this hasnt been discussed yet? in 6+ years...

anyway, me personally, ill just carefully throw some decent scotch tape on it. but i dont really care, and dont sell them when im done.

• straight up elmers glue works wonders if applied carefully.

for best results, you need to clamp the seam shut while applying glue and letting it dry.

if you want to get hi-tech, a pair of simple flat rulers can be used to brace each side and use either clothespins or those black metal document clamps to hold stuff in place while you apply a line of glue.

if you are lucky enough to have the original spine's paper still attatched, you just gently pad it down over the glue and make sure its set before letting it dry. comes out looking nice. best to use a small tool like a small flathead screwdriver or thin wood dowel or something - fingers just get things messy.

if the spine is all jacked up with some paper loose, some missing, and some crushed inside the split (and/or old rotten tape repairs), youll need to do a bit of surgery to clean things up and prepare for the glue. "...unless of course ya jus dont care!"

you cant bring a cover back to vg++ but you can go from totally separated to vg, and it holds up well.