Gunner Palace

tallbobsmoketallbobsmoke 715 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Great documentary. Just saw it at a moveon.org event at a bar down the street. Straight up footage of every day life in Iraq. Follows a group of soldiers based in the bombed out Palace of one of Saddam's son's. Includes all of the expected fucked -up-ed-ness of bombs, shooting, taking prisoners away, poverty, etc. "Enjoyed" and surprised by the rapping in the movie. Quite a few sceneces where dudes are busting flow freestyle along with percussion beat on jeeps, or beat boxing. Rhymes about crazy fucked up war shit. Anyone else see it?

Comments

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

i saw it the day it was released in la. thought it was pretty good, but i had been watching a gang of war/anti-war documentaries at the time.. i think i remember feeling like i wanted to know more about the people there...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Great documentary. Just saw it at a moveon.org event at a bar down the street. Straight up footage of every day life in Iraq. Follows a group of soldiers based in the bombed out Palace of one of Saddam's son's. Includes all of the expected fucked -up-ed-ness of bombs, shooting, taking prisoners away, poverty, etc. "Enjoyed" and surprised by the rapping in the movie. Quite a few sceneces where dudes are busting flow freestyle along with percussion beat on jeeps, or beat boxing. Rhymes about crazy fucked up war shit.

Anyone else see it?

Is this an independent film? This is something that I will add to the collection once it's released. Oh and don't be surprised about seeing soldiers rhyme. It's a common thing (for me, at least) to see guys in a cipher!

• There was this one dude who played guitar throughout the doc. It seemed like the producer later dubbed guitar and drums on top of the beatbox and rhymes. I'm pretty sure it was all probably done in Iraq since the musicians were the dudes from the movie. It sounded good to my ears if not a little "metal".