School me on Texas BBQ and records in Dallas...

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Texas Strutters... I have to travel to Dallas this week for business BS. I've never been to Texas and want to hit up a proper TX BBQ joint. What's good?If I have time i'd like to try and stop by at least one good record shop. If you only had time to stop by one, which would it be??

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Texas Strutters... I have to travel to Dallas this week for business BS. I've never been to Texas and want to hit up a proper TX BBQ joint. What's good?

If I have time i'd like to try and stop by at least one good record shop. If you only had time to stop by one, which would it be??

I'm not from Dallas, but I was just there last weekend... here's my impressions:

I stayed downtown in one of the downtown hotels, and be aware that the area is seriously deserted after nightfall from Friday all through the weekend. Walking to Deep Ellum one night at around 9 PM I seriously thought I was going to get mugged under the expressways. The city really isn't setup for pedestrians so either take cabs, or rent a car. Since there aren't really any "neighbourhoods", just isolated things that you drive to, I found it a bit odd.

Records: I went to two places - the Half-Price books on North East Expressway (?) and a place called Bill's Records on South Lamar. Neither of them had anything too exciting, through I bet at one time there were some good 45s at Bill's. The Half-Price books website lists all kinds of locations, so your best bet is to hit those up. I didn't find any kind of record boutique. There's a cool coffeeshop around the corner from Bill's.

Food: I had BBQ at a place called Peggy Sue's, up by SMU, was pretty good. The other recommended BBQ place is called Sonny Bryans. Other good food I ate there was at Stephen Pyles (on Ross), for new Southwest food. Good, but quite formal (I had someone spread the napkin on my lap when I ate lunch at the bar!). The ceviche was awesome. I was also very pleased to be able to eat chilaquiles for breakfast, but that's because I'm from Toronto and can't do that here.

Other: There was a Damian Hirst exhibit at a gallery on Cedar Springs Road, and there was this utterly charming exhibit at the Dallas Museam of Art where the artist (hilariously named Phil Collins) set up Smiths kareoke booths in Bogota, Jakarta, and Istanbul, and there an installation where you can watch all these kids sing Smiths songs. Sounds cheesy, but I found it endearing.

Some cool dive-y lounges - Elm Street bar in Deep Ellum (although this area didn't impress me much), and a place called Cosmos that is right near the recommended York Street restaurant (I didn't get a chance to go), away from the too-clubby-for-me Lower Greenville strip.

• Texas Strutters... I have to travel to Dallas this week for business BS. I've never been to Texas and want to hit up a proper TX BBQ joint. What's good?

If I have time i'd like to try and stop by at least one good record shop. If you only had time to stop by one, which would it be??

I'm not from Dallas, but I was just there last weekend... here's my impressions:

I stayed downtown in one of the downtown hotels, and be aware that the area is seriously deserted after nightfall from Friday all through the weekend. Walking to Deep Ellum one night at around 9 PM I seriously thought I was going to get mugged under the expressways. The city really isn't setup for pedestrians so either take cabs, or rent a car. Since there aren't really any "neighbourhoods", just isolated things that you drive to, I found it a bit odd.

Records: I went to two places - the Half-Price books on North East Expressway (?) and a place called Bill's Records on South Lamar. Neither of them had anything too exciting, through I bet at one time there were some good 45s at Bill's. The Half-Price books website lists all kinds of locations, so your best bet is to hit those up. I didn't find any kind of record boutique. There's a cool coffeeshop around the corner from Bill's.

Food: I had BBQ at a place called Peggy Sue's, up by SMU, was pretty good. The other recommended BBQ place is called Sonny Bryans. Other good food I ate there was at Stephen Pyles (on Ross), for new Southwest food. Good, but quite formal (I had someone spread the napkin on my lap when I ate lunch at the bar!). The ceviche was awesome. I was also very pleased to be able to eat chilaquiles for breakfast, but that's because I'm from Toronto and can't do that here.

Other: There was a Damian Hirst exhibit at a gallery on Cedar Springs Road, and there was this utterly charming exhibit at the Dallas Museam of Art where the artist (hilariously named Phil Collins) set up Smiths kareoke booths in Bogota, Jakarta, and Istanbul, and there an installation where you can watch all these kids sing Smiths songs. Sounds cheesy, but I found it endearing.

Some cool dive-y lounges - Elm Street bar in Deep Ellum (although this area didn't impress me much), and a place called Cosmos that is right near the recommended York Street restaurant (I didn't get a chance to go), away from the too-clubby-for-me Lower Greenville strip.

THanks for the info, Sooks! I'm gonna be in Plano just outside of Dallas so i don't have to worry about the shadiness you mentioned after dark. I'm gonna see if i can hit those BBQ joints you mentioned.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Best Bar-B-Q in the area is at Railhead on Montgomery St. in Fort Worth.....if you have the time and the transportation it's worth the trip....Sonny Bryan's on Inwood is the OG and the best known in Dallas.....if you want some good soul food try the South Dallas Cafe by Fair Park......chicken and waffles for breakfast only.

http://www.southdallascafe.com/

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    odems in oak cliff is that bomb ish.