Obama speech on religion in politics

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid353515028?bctid=416343938

I really liked this and agree with him 100% on what he says.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great stuff...

genuine and thoughtful...i hope he will make it to the dem nomination

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A few years back I was in a meeting where the CEO of my company was discussing filling a upper level position.

He had narrowed it down to two candidates and he wanted input from some of the folks that would be working with him.

We had each interviewed both of the candidates and he wanted to know what we thought.

The consensus was that one candidate seemed to have a great attitude and ambition but not very much experience.

We all felt that the second candidate had lots of good experience but seemed less enaging.

The CEO then made his decision and hired the less experienced guy explaining...

"He won't have as many bad habits and will be more open to new ideas".

In hindsight he was right and our company has grown in the areas of his responsibility.

This is how I feel about Obama

• great stuff...

Yet you blast Huckabee for saying a creative cell phone prayer -- that you read far too much into -- during an invocation...

• great stuff...

Yet you blast Huckabee for saying a creative cell phone prayer -- that you read far too much into -- during an invocation...

What's this now?

great stuff...

Did you even watch the vid? They're immensely different. The Obama video is in diametric opposition to the kind of backwoods stunt that Huckabilly pulled.

• A few years back I was in a meeting where the CEO of my company was discussing filling a upper level position.

He had narrowed it down to two candidates and he wanted input from some of the folks that would be working with him.

We had each interviewed both of the candidates and he wanted to know what we thought.

The consensus was that one candidate seemed to have a great attitude and ambition but not very much experience.

We all felt that the second candidate had lots of good experience but seemed less enaging.

In hindsight he was right and our company has grown in the areas of his responsibility.

please stop. you sound like a bad speech writer...possibly for the romney campaign, even if this was a true story. i didn't peep this speech, but lemme take an educated guess and say that it is grandiose and unspecific. this weekend's financial times has an oped where the writer says, in response to the "yes we can" storm the whitehouse type speeches obama gives after every primary - aren't you setting all your supporters up for a huge let down?? if obama wins it will be because of his speeches and promises. but lets not forget that he is running as a moderate!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great stuff...

i am not blasting huckabee i just thought it was a very innapropriate way of making a political speach

if he was making a prayer at the event then i was unaware of it

i beleive adressing religion in politics the way obama has is far more appropriate insightful, less partisan and opens the door to discussion

huckabee on the other hand represents (although creatively i guess... ) what obama is speaking about on how political and religious lines are almost inherently meshed nowadays

• great stuff...

What's this now?

It's in the Huck thread.

Obama is on point throughout, especially the hand clap line.

• A few years back I was in a meeting where the CEO of my company was discussing filling a upper level position.

please stop. you sound like a bad speech writer...possibly for the romney campaign, even if this was a true story. i didn't peep this speech, but lemme take an educated guess and say that it is grandiose and unspecific. this weekend's financial times has an oped where the writer says, in response to the "yes we can" storm the whitehouse type speeches obama gives after every primary - aren't you setting all your supporters up for a huge let down?? if obama wins it will be because of his speeches and promises. but lets not forget that he is running as a moderate!

Whoever gets into the white house will be setting their supporters up for a let down.

Clinton's Health Care Plan is a great example - she's boasting now about how comprehensive it is but that thing is going to get torn to shreds before it's signed into law.

If Obama gets elected and a solid majority of Americans are energized by their new president that will be a greater achievement than I can imagine in 4 years from any other administration.

A few years back I was in a meeting where the CEO of my company was discussing filling a upper level position.

Hillary getting swept this weekend has someone in a bad mood.

P.S. Download Hillary the movie. Sure it has its fair share of one-sided right wing FUD, but there are some knowledge jewels in there that can't be denied.

• great stuff...

Did you even watch the vid? They're immensely different. The Obama video is in diametric opposition to the kind of backwoods stunt that Huckabilly pulled.

He was saying an opening prayer! What is the problem?!

• great stuff...

i am not blasting huckabee i just thought it was a very innapropriate way of making a political speach

i beleive adressing religion in politics the way obama has is far more appropriate insightful, less partisan and opens the door to discussion

huckabee on the other hand represents (although creatively i guess... ) what obama is speaking about on how political and religious lines are almost inherently meshed nowadays

I can see where you missed that it was an invocation since the sound is quite low at the beginning.

great stuff...

It's pretty damn polarizing to start. He's making an fairly explicit implication that He and Bush talk directly to god (big or little G).

• Hillary who?

great stuff...

I can see where you missed that it was an invocation since the sound is quite low at the beginning.

I can't say that I hear/saw that either.

Hillary who?

Hillary...

• great stuff...

It's pretty damn polarizing to start. He's making an fairly explicit implication that He and Bush talk directly to god (big or little G).

Huck was making fun of Bush for that.

• great stuff...

I can't say that I hear/saw that either.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee to deliver the invocation."

• Whoever gets into the white house will be setting their supporters up for a let down.

wait a second. hillary is talking about doing a 180 from the bush years. obama is talking about doing a 180 from the establishment, which would include the clinton years and the clinton machine with all its lobbying money.

Clinton's Health Care Plan is a great example - she's boasting now about how comprehensive it is but that thing is going to get torn to shreds before it's signed into law.

why do you keep saying this? we are going to have a democratic prez and a democratic congress, potentially with 60 votes in the senate. who will be opposing it?

If Obama gets elected and a solid majority of Americans are energized by their new president that will be a greater achievement than I can imagine in 4 years from any other administration.

that is the whole point of the article. energized, but about what? the first black president, great. but, when you are talking about a moderate guy, with moderate positions, the grandiose speeches are a little disingenuous if he is supposed to be referring to policies...and in comparison to his democratic rival (who is on the same page!).

great stuff...

Now THAT would be reading alot into it.

• great stuff...

Well, he was making fun of other Republicans in attendance, so I don't see how it's a stretch.

We both agree that it's at least corny, right?

• Whoever gets into the white house will be setting their supporters up for a let down.

wait a second. hillary is talking about doing a 180 from the bush years. obama is talking about doing a 180 from the establishment, which would include the clinton years and the clinton machine with all its lobbying money.

What does Obama need with the Clinton machine? They's broke.

why do you keep saying this? we are going to have a democratic prez and a democratic congress, potentially with 60 votes in the senate. who will be opposing it?

I keep saying it because it's the truth. Sorry if it upsets you. You are not going to have unanimous support of ANY universal health care even among Democrats and even if you did, the first thing that's going to get jettisoned is, guess what, MANDATES. You must deal.

that is the whole point of the article. energized, but about what? the first black president, great. but, when you are talking about a moderate guy, with moderate positions, the grandiose speeches are a little disingenuous if he is supposed to be referring to policies...and in comparison to his democratic rival (who is on the same page!).

First nothing. If you actually listened to more of his speeches instead of writing them off, what you might see is Obama attempting to energize Americans to sacrifice individually for the greater good, particularly first-time voters and young adults who have been raised to think solely about #1. That's more necessary than any policy initiative the other 3 could possibly drum up.

great stuff...

Well, he was making fun of other Republicans in attendance, so I don't see how it's a stretch.

Beyond corny, but that's the old mega-church schtick that gets all the evangelicals panties wet.

I'd like to coin the phrase, "pulling a Joel Osteen"

• great stuff...

Beyond corny, but that's the old mega-church schtick that gets all the evangelicals panties wet.

I'd like to coin the phrase, "pulling a Joel Osteen"

I don't know who that is but it sounds funny.

• Hillary who?

Her?

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Thanks for posting this,
    it s almost scary how on point he is,
    i cant believe this is a politician,
    feeling this dude to the fullest

• If Obama gets elected and a solid majority of Americans are energized by their new president that will be a greater achievement than I can imagine in 4 years from any other administration.

First nothing. If you actually listened to more of his speeches instead of writing them off, what you might see is Obama attempting to energize Americans to sacrifice individually for the greater good, particularly first-time voters and young adults who have been raised to think solely about #1. That's more necessary than any policy initiative the other 3 could possibly drum up.

Most of the speeches we see from Obama are for-supporters speeches, which aren't meant to be informative speeches, anyhow.

The one posted in here was expository, but still had plenty of specifics.

I don't doubt that Obama can talk specifics if it fits the occasion.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

please stop. you sound like a bad speech writer...possibly for the romney campaign, even if this was a true story.

#1) It absolutely is a true story and a damn good analogy from where I sit.

#2) You come here riding Hillary's dick 24/7 yet you have the nerve to tell me to "please stop" when I post why I like Obama.

#3) I wouldn't take the pay cut to be a speech writer, good or bad.

Whoever gets into the white house will be setting their supporters up for a let down.

BINGO...