simple question for Ableton users

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I recently tried recording vinyl rips on Ableton, but I'm having problems with the sound quality. I get this stuttering sound, even when I have "auto-warp long samples" switched off.Anyone know why?

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    You sure your bitrates all match? That's the only thing I can think of, your cpu usage meter isn't acting crazy is it?

If you are pitch shifting there is an option to turn high quality on, but it sounds like you are just straight recording...

Restart and cross your fingers?

Good luck.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Barely ever used Ableton, since nobodys given you anything to try tho; feel compelled to suggest lookin at the input/output control knob on the interface. Hearing the playback while doing something in real time can give you this mindfuck of a phenomena like the 'stutter' you might be talkin' about if that knob is amiss. Only ever used Ableton w/midi nes and a keyboard controller, so hopefully somebody well versed in it will help you out. Sounds painfully annoying.

Most likely its not the answer, but I'm always goofing on little things like this akin to looking for ones hat on top of ones head or my keys that're already in my pocket.
    2 many opportunities for the (for me) in between all the

• hmmm..

cpu shouln't be a problem. neither should bitrates.

here's an example of what i mean with stuttering

Zshare

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I recently tried recording vinyl rips on Ableton, but I'm having problems with the sound quality. I get this stuttering sound, even when I have "auto-warp long samples" switched off.

Anyone know why?
    Click on the clip->go to Sample->click on the dropdown menu that says Beats->click on Complex.

When you play clips with the Beats parameter on, you'll hear that clicking/stuttering noise.

Also, click on Live Preferences on the top of your cpu toolbar and go to Record warp launch. Change the Default Warp Mode from Beats to Complex.

Hope that helps.

BTW, that Going Back to My Roots mix cd is