mingering mike question---

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
did mingering mike write on actual 45 labels? i came across some singles today--many just had the name 'stevens' written on them and one in particular had some label on an actual 45 that was mostly torn/rubbed off--but the 'labels' name was called osiris and the name of the song was called 'message to a man' and b side was 'message to a woman' "group" was called the soul sensations--there was a big 'stevens' written across diagonally with a large 'N' written partially in the 45 hole so you could only see a the ends of the letter on the actual label.i'm totally an idiot for passing up on it, but i already owed another vendor some cash on some records held for me and was eager to get going with my day.anyhow--if this is in fact a mingering mike record (i did not know the name 'stevens' but went home and did a google and found out his last name was indeed stevens--so i am thinking this may have been the same.if it is--i think i can get a hold of the vendor and tell him the story--and perhaps--if he is willing to either donate to the MM gallery to help complete a bit more of his story, or i will buy them off of him--if he still has it.i am hopeful some strutters can help me out on this.crossing my fingers that someone didn't pick it up and if they did--that they may know what they may have at least!

Comments

• Wow, you might have come across a part of Mike's record collection that was either separated from the rest or that is actually from the same group of records that we looked at almost 4 years ago!

Mike often wrote his name on his own real records ("MM", "Mingering", "Mike Stevens", and variations thereof). I'm thinking these are probably records from his collection, but I can't really say for sure without seeing the writing. But the fact that there's an Osiris 45 in there makes me think that it's gotta be him, since they're a DC group.

He could very well have pasted some of his own handmade labels onto real records, too.

Where did you see these? In the DC area?

This is exciting stuff! If these are in fact his records there could very well be some of his art in there somewhere. We know of at least a couple of album covers that are unaccounted for.

Gotta go back and check dude!

Check your PMs!

• sorry for being so late contributing to this thread, but "Stevens" is an extremely common last name. who's to say it couldnt be anybody? did the handwriting look like the artwork from those fake album covers he drew?

• This is true.. but if one of the labels itself is indeed hand drawn, chances are it's a Mingering Mike. Apparently the dealer who had them for sale is from Northern Virginia, so it's possible that some records made it up to New Jersey where Dakar saw them. We can only hope!