Seasonal Affective Disorder

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
who else got this? i just started taking Citalopram to help with it, along with anxiety. thinking about getting a light box too. winter fuckin SUCKS. this shit needs to end, or i need to move south.

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The pounding Chicago winter, a masacre at a plus-sized womens clothing store not far from my parents' place (WTF?), the tornado devastation, all these stories about children shooting their parents -- hey, I am SAD as hell. I always say that Februrary is the shortest yet longest month and it's ringing true like never before this year.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Ill just say I picked the WRONG month to quit smoking.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i get this. as soon as Thanksgiving is done i start to go downhill.

all the way up to Christmas and NYE.

then i am super dull for 3 months.

i pray for when the clocks go ahead, the spring birds begin to chirp and i can smell grass.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I always say that Februrary is the shortest yet longest month and it's ringing true like never before this year.

january was a breeze (comparitively). february is soooo Frickin' long. i'm longing for late march so hard right now. i'm gonna be rocking t-shirts by the time its consistently 50 out.

i keep telling my girlfriend, "i'm not looking for fun ways to use my day, i'm looking for ways to make it end as quickly as possible"...shes always bummed that i never wanna do anything in the winter, and so am i, but really i just cannot deal with this shit.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    my mom had this when i lived in alaska way back when. it was nathan nice. she tried a lot of things, but none really seemed to ever work. fortunately enough, she was totally aware of it and it never became all consuming depression wise.

i think i have a touch of it too. it's been getting harder and harder for me to leave to the house.

no

i'm trying to shake it.

then i am super dull for 3 months.

i pray for when the clocks go ahead, the spring birds begin to chirp and i can smell grass.

i have DREAMS about the smell of grass. every night i dream about that shit.

and yes, everybody starts to hate me in the winter time. not really, but i just never wanna hang out at all. the less i do the better i feel, if you wanna call it "better".

• I get SAD pretty much without fail every winter. It really just bums me out when it's getting dark by 6pm and I hate when it's cold outside for long stretches. I've considered trying one of those light boxes but that would require money I don't really have. I'm taking Paxil right now and it helps out, but the only thing that really helps is when the sun stays out until 9pm and it's not 25 friggin' degrees outside. I love wearing shorts and a t-shirt and absolutely hate having to bundle up for winter. I swear, in winter there's plenty of days where I wake up and would rather just go back to sleep and stay in bed all day rather than have to go out in the cold, dark miserable weather.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    winter in the city is depressing it helps to go out sometimes like early on the week ed and catch that slight 11-2 sunlight

my girl has a lamp and it helps her a lot there are also clinics that offer the service

you got to be pro-active especially when you know its coming

hang in there doods the end of febuary is approaching

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm depressed year round. Seasons ain't shit.

well, same here usually, but it gets worse in the winter.

• rookrook 357 Posts

what do you know about blackness for months and consistent 40 below shit. deal

• has anybody tried taking melatonin?
    i hear it works wonders, but i've never tried it.
    short days coupled with crazy working hours are
    making me super bummed out.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

A dreaded sunny day...

• hey, I am SAD as hell.

I thought it was all the crazy things I am dealing/not dealing with in my life right now...but I am glad to know it is just the season. For real though, last time I got on anti-depressant meds they fucked with my other meds and made me manic as shit. This time I think I am going to just get some St. John's Wort.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I used to get this. I was a miserable person to be around in the winter.

Now I live in San Diego, so its not really a problem any more I guess.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    hell nah...I get charged up in winter, prolly cause it looks like this here

• I love the winter and being stuck in the house with a good book listening to records. VA winter ain't shit though.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    VA winter ain't shit though.

Which is one of the reasons why I live in the DC metro, the winters here are short and completely bearable.

For you guys in IA, MN,WI, IL, etc., you may want to consider places that have a more congenial climate if you are really affected by the long winters. I left at 28, and I honestly don't think I could deal with the MN winters again, unless I had some seriously compelling reasons to be there. And I LOVE Minneapolis to death, but that cold and snow just put me in a foul mood after a couple of months.

• i noticed if i don't exercise or at least take a walk i get real depressed in the winter. i'm on anti depressants but it gets bad if i don't move around. need to release those opiates. i feel for you guys knee deep in snow, can't get out must be worse than cali winter weather (dreary and grey).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It really just bums me out when it's getting dark by 6pm

In the dead of winter in the Northeast, the sun's down by 4:30. I'm only outside in the light on the walk to work and at lunch.

That said, I find exercise, good nutrition, and sex at regular intervals helps. Doesn't help me get out of bed, but I feel OK once I do.