Web Music Archives: What To Do? (IT guys whine r)

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I'm chummy with some IT gurus and so I don't pay to host Waxing Deep. When the site began, no one expected it to become quite so successful. Now I regularly have people spending hours at a time downloading the archive with 15mbps connections. That puts a real strain on the server and my guys are starting to whine about giving me so much bandwidth. They suggest I switch my archive of shows to an archive of torrents, but I'm not sure about that. It seems to me I could just encourage people to stream the shows instead of downloading the entire archive at once. With each show approaches two hours, there's no point in storing hundreds of hours of Waxing Deep. Not even I can listen to that much of me. Does anybody here have some ideas?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I'd take the archive offline. Folks just get greedy and take the lot to sift through after, so just nip it in the bud.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Taking the archive offline may solve the problem, but it doesn't help Waxing Deep. I'm glad people want to listen to past shows and I'd like to make them available. It also helps the brand.

• Maybe limit the readily available archive to the past 5 shows or something, but also include a bonus blast from the past that you change all the time. Do the 5 most recent ones, so new listeners can do some back-tracking. Then have a seperate section where you add an old show or two, but just cycle through them.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    get a rapidshare account.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Maybe limit the readily available archive to the past 5 shows or something, but also include a bonus blast from the past that you change all the time. Do the 5 most recent ones, so new listeners can do some back-tracking. Then have a seperate section where you add an old show or two, but just cycle through them.

Now that's a good idea. Thanks.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That puts a real strain on the server and my guys are starting to whine about giving me so much bandwidth.

Pshhh... sounds like it's time for you to show those nerd bastards who's boss. Get some tough fur trapper dudes to pay them a visit. Let them know that your associates know when they're not at home and that they have pets/small children/wives/elderly mothers/whathaveyou. I mean, come on dude, you are a ONE MAN ONLINE SHOPPING PHENOMENON. Don't take that shit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You bit my location, foolio. Don't make me get some tough fur trapper dudes to pay you a visit. My associates know when you're not at home and they know you have pets/small children/wives/elderly mothers/whathaveyou. I will not take that shit.

Nice Trailer Park Boys avatar.

I had to transcribe that shit myself and everything.

THIS WILL NOT STAND.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I had to transcribe that shit myself and everything.

THIS WILL NOT STAND.

HAHA! SO DID I. Just imagine the moment when both of us, 3000 miles apart, tried to highlight, copy, and paste, only to realize we'd have to type it out.

But I digress.

YOU'VE CALLED DOWN THE SHITSTORM THIS TIME, MY SHITTY FRIEND. SHIT HAIL THE SIZE OF BASEBALLS WILL BE PELTING YOUR SHIT HOUSE AND BREAKING THE SHIT WINDOWS OF YOUR SHIT DATSUN, AND BEFORE YOU CAN SAY "JESUS SHITTING CHRIST," THE SHIT LIGHTNING WILL SET YOUR SHIT ASS ON FIRE.

SHIT FIRE[/b]!!!!

MY SHIT ARMY WILL RIDE AGAINST YOU ON (MY LITTLE) SHIT PONIES. SHIT SWORDS AT THE READY. THE SHIT WIND AT THEIR BACKS. SHIT VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE.

• What was wrong with the torrent idea? You can still have the full archive available, but you're sharing the load with everyone who seeds. Seems like the best of both worlds.