REALLY ridiculous live version of There Was a Time

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
This may have been posted already but...duuuude....Boston Garden, 1968, several days after the death of MLK.

Who else is on this dude's level? Other than Jel, I mean.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Yes! This was the video that made me sign up for a youtube account so I could save it to my favorites. Literal facemelt moment.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This has become my all-time favorite JB vid:

James Brown Popcorn

• dayday 9,611 Posts

James Brown Popcorn

HAAAA Man I was just about to post this same clip.

I feel like I've seen this before, but can't remember where or when. Anyway, yeah this shit is killer. Great footage of the band taken from *gasp* multiple camera angles!!

HAAAA Man I was just about to post this same clip.

It's just so ill, because it looks like a lipsync video
    but it's all live, such a sick performance ... the end is

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Quietly shitting on all other performers, ever...

Some jokes just don't stop being funny.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Everytime I see one of these live videos it strikes me that to me, JB's live performances are just on such a higher level and show just how amazing a performer and artist he was, more so than his studio records really reveal, at least for me personally. People need to know, and I would gladly pay money for a legit DVD of some of these early performances if the different owners of the videos could ever get it together.

I just can't even imagine how mindblowing this would have been to see for the first time in 1968.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This may have been posted already but...duuuude....

Boston Garden, 1968, several days after the death of MLK.

Nobody could get a band to lock on a groove like James Brown could. BUT, the horns sound horrible out of tune in this clip to me. Just me?

My favorite James Brown clip is still the one Pavarotti.

I've been looking for the Ed Sullivan clip I saw years ago. James doesn't stop on Ed's cue. They break for commericial and James is still playing when they get back, it's like a ten minutes or more that went out live. The band is on risers that are in a v shape with James in the center. Are Ed Sullivan clips banned from youtube?

Are Ed Sullivan clips banned from youtube?

yes

• I love that James Brown clip. Before the days of youtube, I used to visit this record store close to my house where the owner had these bootleg vhs's with all kinds of great stuff. Funk, Soul, Blues, Psych....hours of great stuff. He used to let me borrown them to copy but I could only bring one home at a time. I used to smoke a j, put the newest vhs in and watch it while it was copying and just wig out. I'll never forget watching that full James Brown performance at the Garden.

I was only able to borrow about 10 video's before the owner started getting weird about the whole situation (he was a bit unbalanced and always seemed one straw away from snapping). He recently ended up closing his doors and just selling on ebay. I miss that damn store. Dude was a cool guy and had the only good record store within 45 minutes of driving.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Live in Paris 1971 with the OG JBs (incl incredibly young Bootsy). James' shaped afro is ridiculous, untouchable.

Live in Paris 1971 with the OG JBs (incl incredibly young Bootsy). James' shaped afro is ridiculous, untouchable.

The music from this performance was recently reissued I believe. Love, Power, and Peace - Live at Olympia, Paris or something to that effect.

And yes, one of the horns is really out of tune in the first clip. There's a point in the vid where James appears to dance over to the horn section and exchange a few words with the offending party. Doubt whoever it was got paid that night.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I was about to make the same joke. With James, however, I don't think any shitting was ever done quietly.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I was about to make the same joke. With James, however, I don't think any shitting was ever done quietly.

FUNKY!