Iranian Oil Bourse, US economy, cut internet cable

edubedub 715 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Been reading about this last few days, yet it seems not to show up on the big media outlets.What do you know about Iran's intention to set up their own Oil exchange (traded NOT in US dollars) - a system that would, supposedly, use the internet as it's infrastructure? Will this have disastrous effects on an already struggling economy (or is it already a reason?).Anyone got the scoop on all the supposedly cut internet cables (underwater) which connect a major part of the Middle East to the rest of the world.Are the US so shook that we'll go to war with Iran over this? - are teh nukes just another pretext for war (like it was in Iraq)?I feel like this is big news, but can't find reliable news sources discussing this.just google "iran oil bourse"

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Interesting... I doubt it is anything other than a coincidence though. If you we going to cut undersea cables I'd assume you would be more subtle than to slice 5 in one go...

A couple of those cables that were cut carry some of our traffic and I was thinking to myself last night the internet seemed slow, but maybe I'm just imagining that. Most of our net traffic goes from the east coast though, through SE Asia and Guam to the US.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    5 though? I could see one or two being cut. 5 seems kinda out there.

• Yeah hard to say isn't it - but it just seems like it would be a stupid idea to sabotage 5 undersea cables in one go. I mean it only causes a handful of days of disruption and to get busted doing it wouldn't make you any new friends.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Interesting... I doubt it is anything other than a coincidence though. If you we going to cut undersea cables I'd assume you would be more subtle than to slice 5 in one go...

nothing subtle about that.