How was Bill Clinton a good president?

2»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

didnt fuck up the money? check.

good president.

dropped bombs on Iraq to distract public from sex scandal? check.

maintained an embargo that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis? check.

dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

still, no dumb wars, money not fucked up.

Im not saying hes abe lincoln, or jesus, but he wasnt a bad pres.

I know I said that I wasn't going to argue, but you should really read this book...

The Immaculate Invasion by Bob Shacochis:

sum it up for me real quick? I hate politics. And books on politics.

Im not pretending to be the most informed though either.

Clinton half-stepped on an "invasion" of Haiti and as a result he basically outed every opposition good guy in Haiti to the ton ton macoutes who were very thankful for knowing who they would be murdering next...which they of course went on to do with US troops standing by watching and doing nothing about it.

For that alone...fuck Bill Clinton forever.

Yeah, that was extremely fucked up. But don't you think your personal connections to Haiti might bias you there?

That's kinda like business as usual for a president.

Talk to some folks with ties to Serbia, Kosovo, Sudan, Rwanda, etc...and watch how that same "bias" pops up again and again when it comes to Bill Clinton.

player-haters?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Id vote for k-rhino

Id vote for k-rhino

lol you got me.

• Clinton was better than most IMHO but I was mad at him when he blew up that aspirin factory in Sudan. Military action in eastern Europe while ignoring genocide in Africa (what's new).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

good president.

dropped bombs on Iraq to distract public from sex scandal? check.

maintained an embargo that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis? check.

dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

still, no dumb wars, money not fucked up.

Im not saying hes abe lincoln, or jesus, but he wasnt a bad pres.

I know I said that I wasn't going to argue, but you should really read this book...

The Immaculate Invasion by Bob Shacochis:

sum it up for me real quick? I hate politics. And books on politics.

Im not pretending to be the most informed though either.

Clinton half-stepped on an "invasion" of Haiti and as a result he basically outed every opposition good guy in Haiti to the ton ton macoutes who were very thankful for knowing who they would be murdering next...which they of course went on to do with US troops standing by watching and doing nothing about it.

For that alone...fuck Bill Clinton forever.

Yeah, that was extremely fucked up. But don't you think your personal connections to Haiti might bias you there?

That's kinda like business as usual for a president.

Talk to some folks with ties to Serbia, Kosovo, Sudan, Rwanda, etc...and watch how that same "bias" pops up again and again when it comes to Bill Clinton.

True, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying theres always gonna be someone pissed on. We're American. Our lifestyles are dependent on pissing on someone, even fellow Americans sometimes. More often than not, its the same people.

Yes, I understand you to be sensitive to such issues...unlike 85% of our American neighbors. So I appreciate your opinions in this area. But my point has been for quite some time now...that if we know said activity to be business as usual, how in the world can we put our stamp of approval on "leaders" practically guaranteed to stay the course?

It makes us actively complicit...and I just can't get with that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Harvey,

can you give us an example of a person you consider to be a good leader?

i feel that. but thats why politics is so shitty. par for the course.

i feel that. but thats why politics is so shitty. par for the course.

Saying, damned if you do...

Harvey,

Toussaint L'ouverture
    Martin Luther King
    Malcolm X
    Che Guevara
    Jomo Kenyatta
    Kwame Nkrumah
    Nelson Mandela
    Jean-Bertrand Aristide

None were perfect, and some very much less than others, but these are the kind of principled pioneers willing to put their own asses on the line that I can feel good about supporting.

I'm trying to think of someone more modern, but I'm drawing a blank.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Hillary Clinton is the loveliest woman in the world and the tiniest of her farts has the power, the mandate, and the charisma to bring about world peace.

please drop some science on why bill was a bad president.

By now I know better than to argue about someone named Clinton with you, dude. You're loyal and relentless, but that doesn't make you right.

• can you give us an example of a person you consider to be a good leader?

the happy warrior.

the greatest governor of the greatest state of the greatest nation in the world,

Alfred Emanuel Smith.

• Id vote for k-rhino

dope-e for vice

Id vote for k-rhino

dope-e for vice

Egypt E

• Id vote for k-rhino

dope-e for vice

Egypt E

that's for the public to decide come election time!

...ohhh and c-note for treasurer

• dude was a better president than Reagan, Nixon, or either Bush, but that's about it.

You have a short view of history.

lol... I have a degree in history. But I'm of the opinion that given the way corporate control of public policy has escalated over the last 30 years and the way governments have smoothed that process along, our last string of presidents are among the worst we've ever had.

Really...where did you go to school? I don't mean that as a joke I honestly want to know.

You have a short view of history.

lol... I have a degree in history. But I'm of the opinion that given the way corporate control of public policy has escalated over the last 30 years and the way governments have smoothed that process along, our last string of presidents are among the worst we've ever had.

Really...where did you go to school? I don't mean that as a joke I honestly want to know.

St mary's college of MD (NOT a religious school -- name refers to location)

• st mary's = the mary washington of MD

i keed, i keed...

st mary's = the mary washington of MD

i keed, i keed...

isn't Mary washington also in md? color me

St Mary's is comparable to UMBC, it's also considered an "honors" campus of the U of MD system but in a rural setting. I didn't particularly like it to be honest but they gave me a good scholarship.

• didnt start any stupid ass wars? check.

good president.

and the unemployment was at 1%

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Harvey,

Toussaint L'ouverture
    Martin Luther King
    Malcolm X
    Che Guevara
    Jomo Kenyatta
    Kwame Nkrumah
    Nelson Mandela
    Jean-Bertrand Aristide

None were perfect, and some very much less than others, but these are the kind of principled pioneers willing to put their own asses on the line that I can feel good about supporting.

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were leaders of movements, not countries, which allows them a certain purity in that they don't make decisions about large amounts of people and money.

L'ouverture and Mandela both stand as amazing leaders; the others do not appear to me to be "principled pioneers" in any constructive sense.

• isn't Mary washington also in md? color me

nope. frednecksburg, va

free mandela!

Harvey,

Toussaint L'ouverture
    Martin Luther King
    Malcolm X
    Che Guevara
    Jomo Kenyatta
    Kwame Nkrumah
    Nelson Mandela
    Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were leaders of movements, not countries, which allows them a certain purity in that they don't make decisions about large amounts of people and money.

L'ouverture and Mandela both stand as amazing leaders; the others do not appear to me to be "principled pioneers" in any constructive sense.

Now, I'd really like to hear why you wouldn't consider Guevara, Kenyatta, and/or Nkrumah good leaders...

• Harvey,

Toussaint L'ouverture
    Martin Luther King
    Malcolm X
    Che Guevara
    [color:red]Robin Kenyatta[/color]
    Kwame Nkrumah
    Nelson Mandela
    Jean-Bertrand Aristide

wait, what?