Dr. Dre - DETOX

2»

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    All i know is reading that Ronin Ro biobook on Dre made me not like Dre at all..

haven't had a chance to read it.

care to drop some bio nuggets?

Muppet who writes explicit/derogatory/gangster/etc. rhymes at the suits request and backlines the stuff that doesn't fit the mold. Which is why Rakim's shit never came out. Not ignorant enough.

Ever wonder why a grown man with kids would write rhymes about drugging young groupies and humping them all night, killing fools, etc.

gtfoohwtb

everyone who cared enough to click on this thread should stop speculating about Detox and just read the book. it's all in there:

Doesn't sound too flattering. No doubt Dre has a crew of ghost writers/producers grinding for him -- but any product that comes from him still has the distinctive Dre sound. It's not like Mel Man and Chris The Glove ever blew up independently of Dre.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Okay, this is what ive heard...

dre supposedly has like 9 songs done. Jimmy was going around talking about i dont believe in detox, detox isnt real. so dre had to come in and play some shit. So i guess its real...sort of.

Last i heard aftermath is closing its doors jimmy told dre just put out detox, no other projects or artists.

But whatever, its been too long for anyone to even care anymore. My 21 year old sister has no idea who dr. dre is. Detox is chinese democracy status and even if it did materialize, who wants to hear an old ass man talk about gangbanging when all hes really doing is wheat grass shots in sherman oaks.

plus, the dude hasnt made a good beat in a few years now.

• who wants to hear an old ass man talk about gangbanging when all hes really doing is wheat grass shots in sherman oaks.

I hear you and thes but I gotta say Dre is far from the only rapper/producer guilty of this. like even LL sounds silly rapping about "the ladies" and shit when he has been supposedly happily married for years now. a family man rapping about all the ass he gets is as fake to me as a studio gangster talking about how many bricks he's moved or people he's merked.

who wants to hear an old ass man talk about gangbanging when all hes really doing is wheat grass shots in sherman oaks.

I hear you and thes but I gotta say Dre is far from the only rapper/producer guilty of this. like even LL sounds silly rapping about "the ladies" and shit when he has been supposedly happily married for years now. a family man rapping about all the ass he gets is as fake to me as a studio gangster talking about how many bricks he's moved or people he's merked.

yes, but at least hes not living in sherman oaks.

and for the record, i am not mad that he is a studio gangster. Just that he is an extremely old one.

• Anybody read the Ronin Ro Suge Knight book? Read it in the nineties and it was raw. I wish I could find a copy.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Anybody read the Ronin Ro Suge Knight book? Read it in the nineties and it was raw. I wish I could find a copy.

not on amazon...

is the dre book readily available

also who is this ronin ro character and how is he tied to death row

• Anybody read the Ronin Ro Suge Knight book? Read it in the nineties and it was raw. I wish I could find a copy.

not on amazon...

Ronin is THE hip hop writer of our time, get familiar with his work from Have Gun Will Travel, this book and my personal favorite, the Run DMC book. Comes from the good era of the source and is not afraid to paint unflattering portraits of unflattering people, if you catch my drift.

BTW, this book is available at Target.

• his writings also helped me foster a furious hate for Kurtis Blow, which amuses Double K to no end.

I have not read his book on Bad Boy but "Raising Hell" and "HAve Gun Will Travel" are two of the best hip hop bio books ever imo..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anybody read the Ronin Ro Suge Knight book? Read it in the nineties and it was raw. I wish I could find a copy.

not on amazon...

Ronin is THE hip hop writer of our time, get familiar with his work from Have Gun Will Travel, this book and my personal favorite, the Run DMC book. Comes from the good era of the source and is not afraid to paint unflattering portraits of unflattering people, if you catch my drift.

I can't say I thought the Run DMC book was that good. They asked me to back-cover blerb it and I actually had to respectfully decline because I couldn't roll for it in good faith.

That said, Ronin's put in his work and I respect his hustle. It's not often you find dudes who've been writing as long as he had who are still in the game.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    his writings also helped me foster a furious hate for Kurtis Blow, which amuses Double K to no end.

I have not read his book on Bad Boy but "Raising Hell" and "HAve Gun Will Travel" are two of the best hip hop bio books ever imo..

Have Gun, Will Travel, while endlessly entertaining, is also poorly written and horribly edited. I'll ride for it in terms of content, but not in terms of execution.

What's up with Ronin fostering Kurtis Blow hate, though?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

not on amazon...

I can't say I thought the Run DMC book was that good. They asked me to back-cover blerb it and I actually had to respectfully decline because I couldn't roll for it in good faith.

That said, Ronin's put in his work and I respect his hustle. It's not often you find dudes who've been writing as long as he had who are still in the game.

He's not a very good writer and his work should generally be taken with a grain of salt, but his books all do contain a substantial amount of information not available elsewhere.

I'll read 'em, but I definitely wouldn't endorse one, either.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am putting together a list of books for a community library focusedon african/black culture so this is really helpful