What were Becky's asking for in the 70's or 80's?

2»

Comments

• What about 'em? I think their fans have more in common with Jim Anchower than with Becky. In a thread filled with Abba and the Bee Gees, a band like Deep Purple seems wildly out of place.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

Nutbush City Limits

What's so "Beckyish" about this Ike & Tina Turner song?

Because they can dance to it, because like it's got it's own dance.

Plus I've played this for vintage Beckys (aka 45+ yr old beckys) and its a guaranteed floor filler every time. It was requested 6 times at a this 50th I played last saturday.

• Nutbush City Limits

What's so "Beckyish" about this Ike & Tina Turner song?

Because they can dance to it, because like it's got it's own dance.

Plus I've played this for vintage Beckys (aka 45+ yr old beckys) and its a guaranteed floor filler every time. It was requested 6 times at a this 50th I played last saturday.

ok. even though this song was a hit in its day, i didnt think it was THAT massive. really, id have expected you to say "proud mary" before "nutbush", but if this great tune still has mass recognition somewhere, then thats all to the good!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

the grease megamix

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

What about 'em? I think their fans have more in common with Jim Anchower than with Becky. In a thread filled with Abba and the Bee Gees, a band like Deep Purple seems wildly out of place.

It was more about the link than a serious question. I was clearly out of line and will aim to stay in genre parametres and to never make the same mistake again. My apologies to Beckys everywhere.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    last friday my two becky requests were 'Runnin Away' and 'Holy Ghost'

i don't think those are Beckys. more like girls I need you to introduce me to.

yeah i was gonna say! you talkin bout some other Holy Ghost or somethin? cause i'll make a girl sweat dancin to that joint!

well, one took the classic Becky approach-- "hi, it's my birthday etc...we want to hear something fun that everybody knows and will dance too etc...then...how about Holy Ghost?" I'm like, "That shouldn't be a problem."

The great thing about that spot is HOW people will approach you there. I had a girl ask me if a KC and the Sunshine Band request was cool with me, and she was not being sarcastic. She was looking for the 'DJ-seal-of-approval'! Or you will get girls asking for "more Temptations!"!

It sure beats the "You suck, this disco-crap sucks, why won't you play any Trance?" approach.

• vintage Beckys (aka 45+ yr old beckys)

Rebeccas.