Bobby Knight

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
The basketball coach...I know there are going to be mixed opinions on this dude, but I'm juts saying I grew up in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, playing basketball my whole life, and embracing his legacy. Dude is highly regarded by a bunch of respectable dudes and dissed by a bunch of chumps. Is going undefeated in a college basketball season harder than going undefeated in a NFL football season? 1976! Discuss.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The basketball coach...I know there are going to be mixed opinions on this dude, but I'm juts saying I grew up in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, playing basketball my whole life, and embracing his legacy. Dude is highly regarded by a bunch of respectable dudes and dissed by a bunch of chumps. Is going undefeated in a college basketball season harder than going undefeated in a NFL football season? 1976!

Discuss.

What I never understood was how he was so tough and pretty much every player after Isiah was softer than marshmellows (Cheaney, Funderburke, Alford, Jefferies and so on).

• Knight was a hell of a coach but some of his actions were a little suspect. People still talk about him here on campus, dude is a legend. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the current Hoosiers run a little motion offense after that debacle at home against UCONN.

• The basketball coach...I know there are going to be mixed opinions on this dude, but I'm juts saying I grew up in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, playing basketball my whole life, and embracing his legacy. Dude is highly regarded by a bunch of respectable dudes and dissed by a bunch of chumps. Is going undefeated in a college basketball season harder than going undefeated in a NFL football season? 1976!

Discuss.

What I never understood was how he was so tough and pretty much every player after Isiah was softer than marshmellows (Cheaney, Funderburke, Alford, Jefferies and so on).

Dude is the all time winningest coach with one player that amounted to shit in the NBA, that says alot.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The basketball coach...I know there are going to be mixed opinions on this dude, but I'm juts saying I grew up in the heart of Hoosier basketball country, playing basketball my whole life, and embracing his legacy. Dude is highly regarded by a bunch of respectable dudes and dissed by a bunch of chumps. Is going undefeated in a college basketball season harder than going undefeated in a NFL football season? 1976!

Discuss.

Dude is the all time winningest coach with one player that amounted to shit in the NBA, that says alot.

Did you start this thread with a box of tissues and Lifetime's February schedule next to you? Just relax.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    dude is a legend.

• dude is CERTIFIABLE.

My sister went to IU and will stick up for his behavior forever, but I think he's nuts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, fuck Bobby Knight!

There are plenty of ways to win without being a violent asshole.

• He's an asshole with some fucked up anger issues, but he knows how to win college ball. And I can't think of a D1 coach who takes his role as a teacher more seriously, and who is more interested in seeing his kids get an education. He runs a clean program, and recruits kids who want to go to school. There's no mystery why he doesn't pick up future NBA stars.

• What Isiah Thomas learned from Bobby Knight...

• There are plenty of ways to win without being a violent asshole.

see "my" coach: John Thompson Jr.

but nuf respect to Knight...dude is my second fave coach of all time behind Thompson

• What Isiah Thomas learned from Bobby Knight...

coaching is overrated!!! if knight is/was an asshole who physically abused his kids, that is 50% of coaching, if not more. you can't teach talent. when he was at indiana, his teams did well....at texas tech, while he got some better players than he should have due to name recognition, they didn't do all that much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What Isiah Thomas learned from Bobby Knight...

coaching is overrated!!! if knight is/was an asshole who physically abused his kids, that is 50% of coaching, if not more. you can't teach talent. when he was at indiana, his teams did well....at texas tech, while he got some better players than he should have due to name recognition, they didn't do all that much.

In his 7 years at Tech he averaged 20 wins per season.....certainly not bad.

• [quote you can't teach talent. when he was at indiana, his teams did well....at texas tech, while he got some better players than he should have due to name recognition, they didn't do all that much.
    Texas Tech went 9-19 in 2001, Knight got 'em to 23-9 when he arrived in 2002...20 win seasons every year except one.

• [quote you can't teach talent. when he was at indiana, his teams did well....at texas tech, while he got some better players than he should have due to name recognition, they didn't do all that much.

Texas Tech went 9-19 in 2001, Knight got 'em to 23-9 when he arrived in 2002...20 win seasons every year except one.
    yea, but they used his name as a recruiting tool. so the teams at texas tech pre-Knight did not have nearly the same levels of talent.

is he a good "x and o" coach? i'm sure, but if he was hated by his players, or even some of his players, than i don't know if you can rank him all that high. this is college, not the pros. part of his responsibility is to help shape 17 and 18 year old kids, not abuse them and then lie about it.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I sat next to him at an NJCAA basketball tourament when he was scouting players.

Otherwise he scares me.