That 3rd Jungle Brothers Album

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
What is the 2008 SoulStrut consensus on this one?I've always felt that it was unfairly hated upon.Seems like a BATMON record...

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hot gabage
    1 of 3 tapes I considered breaking after purchase (ODB's 2nd was another, and I forget the third).

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    What is the 2008 SoulStrut consensus on this one?

I've always felt that it was unfairly hated upon.

Seems like a BATMON record...

has some merits.

Its a "pull out once a year to see if it's got better" record

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What is the 2008 SoulStrut consensus on this one?

has some merits.

Its a "pull out once a year to see if it's got better" record

In this case, I waited about ten years.

I don't know if it's gotten better--since I always kind of liked it--but I don't think it's gotten worse, either, unlike a lot of records from that era.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

I thought he started the thread when I saw your reply from the Main Index!

experimental but

• What is the 2008 SoulStrut consensus on this one?

Agreed.

I like the acid they were on or something, for that album. I've been rocking it since it dropped.

• "on the road again" was a highlight, from what i remember.
    40 below trooper was pretty stooopid. the video made it worse.
    dont remember much else

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I remember liking this alright but haven't revisited it in 8 years or so.

how do ya'll feel about the outtakes from the original rejected version of this record? IMO they are indeed very crazy although maybe not as "genius" as one would hope.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    On a side note, I noticed today that the iTunes music store has a full instrumental album of 'Straight Out The Jungle'.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

40 below trooper was pretty stooopid.

I dug/dig this song. The rest of the album...well, I haven't heard it in many years, but I remember not liking it.

"on the road again" was a highlight, from what i remember.

Actually a remix to one of the album cuts, I think.

• "

yeah, it's the q-tip remix and it was/is dope. it really the only good thing to come from the album. . .

• didn't this album spawn that whole wordsound/broken beat era?

i kinda remember taking a bunch of acid and listening to this and that first new kingdom record for a while... haven't heard either in years (or dropped acid, for that matter).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I slept on it when it came out, but I remember picking it up a few years later, around '97, and playing the hell out of it for months. Not an especially easy listen, but definitely ahead of its time, especially when you sit it next to something like "Funcrusher Plus". Some of it is mad industrial-sounding.

Did anyone ever cop that "Crazy Wisdom Masters" 10" EP that surfaced in the late 90's? I think it had four or five songs from the sessions they did with Bill Laswell. As far as I recall, these sessions were supposed to be for the third album, but were never officially released. I always got the impression that "J Beez Wit The Remedy" was an attempt to find a halfway point between the Laswell-produced experimentation and the more familiar JBs sound.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I loved it when it came out, especially JBiz Comin Through/Spittin Wicked Randomness. I still love it today

• i was always disappointed by that album, but it is actually half decent. like literally- i could listen to about half of it. haven't heard it in years though. i liked my jimmy weighs a ton

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "on the road again" was a highlight, from what i remember.

I liked it a lot when it came out. I had it on CD and purged my CDs years ago. I have 2 12s: on the road (eh) and 40 below. the 40 below 12 has a great remix that i still play out a lot.

As far as 3rd albums by the main Native Tongues triad, I'd put it at #3. Still worth a revisit.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    It holds a comfortable position between Shawnna and the 2nd Black Sheep.

I think it had four or five songs from the sessions they did with Bill Laswell.

JBEEZ VALIDATED!

Also, this just in: the boy Noz invokes German Industrial Coil in discussing it.

• I'm In Love With Indica

• Actually, I will ride for the whole first side.

Book Of Rhyme Pages followed by My Jimmy Weighs A Ton, a very good look.
    1993 was a corner-turning year and this was an apt soundtrack for me personally.
    Incantations for mind-garden ministrations.

It's still good, but the context will never be the same. We judge this album in light of later Hawaiian shirt Hip-House lifestyles.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I always liked that album...especially after hearing it played on repeat one night while on acid with friends. It made those instrumental tracks much more sensible.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think it had four or five songs from the sessions they did with Bill Laswell.

JBEEZ VALIDATED!

I'll keep pitchin' 'em if you keep hittin' 'em.

It's still good, but the context will never be the same. We judge this album in light of later Hawaiian shirt Hip-House lifestyles.

Agreed--it must be considered in the context of its time and it is also important not to let one's view of it be tarred by subsequent whiteboy excursions into the world of glitch hop.

b/w

I will admit to enthusing over a drum and bass remix of a JBeez track circa 1998

b/w

This poast will self destruct in approximately 45 seconds

• I will admit to enthusing over a drum and bass remix of a JBeez track circa 1998

As far as I am concern, no sheepish admissions are necessary if you are talking about that Aphrodite track. It is a slow-burning, well-built track, and is still good to work out to. You can leave the self-destruction to Heavy D.

What might be embarrassing?

Having bought the soundtrack to Senseless just in order to have that Jungle Brother (True Blue) drum n bass track. That's what I did.

I will admit to enthusing over a drum and bass remix of a JBeez track circa 1998

As far as I am concern, no sheepish admissions are necessary if you are talking about that Aphrodite track. It is a slow-burning, well-built track, and is still good to work out to. You can leave the self-destruction to Heavy D.

What might be embarrassing?

Having bought the soundtrack to Senseless just in order to have that Jungle Brother (True Blue) drum n bass track. That's what I did.

Yeah, that's the one--might it have been you who put me onto it?

Damn, it is crazy to think that there was an era in which the soundtracks to Wayans brothers movies featured Jungle Brothers drum and bass remixes.

So you liked drum-n-bass lite but you clown people for liking drum-n-bass real deal?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I should really listen to the 12" again before making statements of this kind but I seem to recall preferring the Terranova remix of True Blue which I wish I had the vocabulary to describe without resorting to descriptions of bass rattling and speaker thumping.

So you liked drum-n-bass lite but you clown people for liking drum-n-bass real deal?

Huh?

What are you talking about?

I don't like drum and bass or jungle--but I can at least respect jungle.

Huh?

It's no big deal...but I'm talking about you making it your policy to stick your nose up at drum-n-bass...but then admitting that you like(d) Jungle Brothers drum-n-bass 101.

But yeah, what is the point of me trying to clarify what the 3 things are out of a million that you actually like without feeling some sort of embarrassment, whether your own or for others, over?

Huh?

It's no big deal...but I'm talking about you making it your policy to stick your nose up at drum-n-bass...but then admitting that you like(d) Jungle Brothers drum-n-bass 101.

But yeah, what is the point of me trying to clarify what the 3 things are out of a million that you actually like without feeling some sort of embarrassment, whether your own or for others, over?

Good heavens.

I have no idea what you're blathering about this time, but it should be clear even to you that somebody who feels genuine embarassment about something doesn't advertise it on a discussion baord. My reference to the poast self-destructing before anybody could read it was--how do you say?--facetious, a concept that I've noticed you struggle with.