What kind of turntable do you have/use

2»

Comments

• i've got a technics sl-1300 and this panasonic portable

img src="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/daleburback/1
    00_1592.jpg">

what do the buttons do?

it's actually a keyboard that you play, there's also a jack that you can plug a microphone into and sing along, it's cool portable, really loud too

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    In our house we have a 1200, a 1210, a belt drive SL-230, a Thorens belt drive (maybe SD/TD150? can't remember), a couple of really horrible Numark direct drives & a 1960s portable.

• But my pride and joy is my Bogen tube receiver. I can't find a picture of the model I have online, mine has about 17 or 18 tubes, and after using it for an hour or two, it gets warmed up and the sound is unpqaralleled.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Technics Sl-1210MkII

IMG src=http://www.avplanet.hu/images/products/sl-1210mkii.jpg>

im falling into some money soon and im thinking about upgrading to a brand new 1200, though.

• I've had the same technics 1200s for more than 8 years and I bought them used. I've never had any real problems. I had them tuned up about 4 years ago.
    I've thought about getting the new MK-5 or whatever then newest ones are, but I don't see a big reason to drop $1000 on the upgrade.

Also rock the Rane 56 and the Shure M 44-7's

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    1200s

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Traded in the 1200's for Numark TTX1's.
    They work like champs for four years now.
    I got sick of having to fix the 1200's every couple of years.
    I don't understand the hate for the Numark's, am I missing something?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i have a 1210 mk 2
    and 2 x 1200s

one of which is goin in to the shop any minute now for a ground loop hum i couldn't fix

• ^^ dude if anything needs to go to the shop its your crap ass camera

anyways, I too have two 1200's and a late 70's denon automatic that I understand was bit of a classic model at the time - that one is currently chilling in the cupboard and needs a lil service

would love to get the cables on my 1200's replaced / upgraded to get a better signal from them .. to state the obvious though, if your amp & speakers are crap you'll never be experiencing the hi in hi fidelity

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ^^ dude if anything needs to go to the shop its your crap ass camera

anyways, I too have two 1200's and a late 70's denon automatic that I understand was bit of a classic model at the time - that one is currently chilling in the cupboard and needs a lil service

would love to get the cables on my 1200's replaced / upgraded to get a better signal from them .. to state the obvious though, if your amp & speakers are crap you'll never be experiencing the hi in hi fidelity

"dude"
    thanks for that informative tid bit of timeless wisdom and knowledge on high fidelity stereo systems
    you have stunning depths of knowledge

• ^^ dude if anything needs to go to the shop its your crap ass camera

"dude"
    thanks for that informative tid bit of timeless wisdom and knowledge on high fidelity stereo systems

dude you are welcome !

• Like most people I have a pair of 1210s (which need service) but I'd like to get something like this.

Pro-Ject RPM 9.1

I'm no audiophile, but to me it seems that a carbon fiber tonearm would lose alot of the vibrations/sound quality? I know that the vibrations aren't traveling through the tonearm like a phonograph, but to me it seems that if your cartridge is connected to a vibration dampening matierial, you aren't going to get the same vibration at the magnets inside of the cartrige.

Any audiophile heads in here care to elaborate/dispute?

oh yeah, btw I rock:

3 1200s (2 new in 96ish, 1 used bought around 2000) all still rolling strong.
    1 gp3 (crap build, crap sound, but has saved me from plenty o turds)
    1 old Singer Portable (really loud, eats batteries)
    1 Vinyl Killer ( my home stereo while living abroad)
    1 45 book that semi works, wish i could get it going
    1 Crosely tabletop unit my Mom gave my a while back. Shitty, but plays 78s and does its ting for the living room well enough

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Traded in the 1200's for Numark TTX1's.
    They work like champs for four years now.
    I got sick of having to fix the 1200's every couple of years.
    I don't understand the hate for the Numark's, am I missing something?

Are these the straight tone-arm ones? I've used them, and like them more than Technics for all of the reasons I've gone into above regarding wiring, pitch control and arm stability, but... the particular models I've used the most also come with a direction reverse option, which sometimes developes a mind of it's own. The bar that has these Numarks has about four decks, and there always seems to be the need to swap or replace components from one of the decks to the others. Too many gadgets seems to mean more things to go wrong, but at least with these Numarks, it's very simple to swap cables etc around.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ^^ dude if anything needs to go to the shop its your crap ass camera

"dude"

You are forgetting one of the golden rules there - never challenge a Technics owner on the dependability or durability of Technics! They've bought into a myth, and find it impossible to reason that your Technics could be at fault - it must be you, while in the same breath the Technics owner will mull over the faults of their own 1200s.

Again I say - Do Not Question The Durability of the Technics! Blasphemy! Heresy!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Like most people I have a pair of 1210s (which need service) but I'd like to get something like this.

Pro-Ject RPM 9.1

I'm no audiophile, but to me it seems that a carbon fiber tonearm would lose alot of the vibrations/sound quality? I know that the vibrations aren't traveling through the tonearm like a phonograph, but to me it seems that if your cartridge is connected to a vibration dampening matierial, you aren't going to get the same vibration at the magnets inside of the cartrige.

Any audiophile heads in here care to elaborate/dispute?

oh yeah, btw I rock:

3 1200s (2 new in 96ish, 1 used bought around 2000) all still rolling strong.
    1 gp3 (crap build, crap sound, but has saved me from plenty o turds)
    1 old Singer Portable (really loud, eats batteries)
    1 Vinyl Killer ( my home stereo while living abroad)
    1 45 book that semi works, wish i could get it going
    1 Crosely tabletop unit my Mom gave my a while back. Shitty, but plays 78s and does its ting for the living room well enough

Carbon fibre can be made to different levels of rigidity but I imagine the extreme lightness of the arm would offer improved response and easily compensate for any vibration that may be absorbed.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, and while you're zeroing out the tonearms, check the absolute antiskate. If the master screw is too tight, your antiskate dial doesn't do shit.

I wonder if I have this trouble. Often when I'm balancing the tonearm, it tends to wander back away from the platter, towards the "resting position", even with antiskate set to '0'. You know, the arm's balanced, but moving around side-to-side of its own volition away from the center of the platter. I'ma have to have a look when I get home.

Edit: btw, is the "master screw" the one in the top of the tonearm?

Could be. I just played a bar where the turntables had just gotten back from service (thumbs up to the owner), and the top screw was wound too tight, causing the arm to pull back, even if the anti-skate was set to zero. It made the needle skip on every record I put on. I loosened it a wee bit and everything was OK.

Sounds like we have completely opposite understandings of the master screw. I'ma fox with mine tonight and report back tomorrow.

Update: So, I tightened up my master screw (the actual screw, not the surrounding...whatever you call it that the screw sits in) and it killed my anti-skate dial. Maybe adjusting the...whatever that thing is causes the arm to pull back with the anti-skate set at 0?

• To the best of my (limited) knowledge, you want as much vibration absorbed by the arm as possible and to keep the stylus as isolated as possible.

Those Pro-ject turntables are very nice, although I don't like the looks very much. I have just purchased a used VPI Scout and they sound tremendously good (and much better than a 1200).