Mulatu Astatke Live in Oakland Sat 2/2

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited February 2008 in Announcements
http://www.historicsweetsballroom.com/home.htmlfriend just gave me a call to tell me about this show. thought id share.

Comments

• Good looks Justin, I think I'm going to try to go to this. Has anyone on the board seen him play recently?

• I'll be there covering it for a local magazine. Should be great.

• holy shit. so sad i missed this

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    saw this when they were in sweden. it was good, not great! its more like either orchestra doing a few covers of mulatu tunes, and having mulatu on vibes. but they mostly play their own tunes, too few mulatu ones.

worst was probably the drummer.. jazz drums over mulatu =

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Did you get out to this Jesse? Justin? How was it?

• Nope, wasn't feeling up for it and I couldn't find anyone to go with anyway.

• "saw this when they were in sweden. it was good, not great! its more like either orchestra doing a few covers of mulatu tunes, and having mulatu on vibes. but they mostly play their own tunes, too few mulatu ones.

worst was probably the drummer.. jazz drums over mulatu "

This is OTM. The show was good in certain parts, others not so much. Also, as I was interviewing a couple people as they were coming out, there was a drive by that blew out the box office. Shit was crazy. I later interviewed the security guards about this and they called it a "friendly drive by"!