How Much Do You Love Living Color?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
"CULT OF PERSONALITY" TOTALLY SHREDS LIKE WHEAT BRAH! I REMEMBER MY COLLEGE TIME AT UC SANTA BARBARA AND MAAAAAN......ME AND EDDIE WOULD TOTALLY GET HIGH, GO DOWN TO THE BOARDWALK FOR SOME BURRITOS AND FUCKIN ROCK OUT WITH OUR COCKS OUT TO THESE DUDES. I REMEMBER ONE TIME WE EVEN HAD A CLAM BAKE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AND SERIOUSLY I TOOK A SHIT LOAD OF LSD EYE-DROPS AND LISTENED TO THIS TAPE TILL THE SUN CAME OUT.HIGH Frickin' FIVES MY BRO-SEPH LATEEFS!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Something tells me that the one BATMON is gonna stand up.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I not sure if Harvey can take a joke

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Something tells me that the one BATMON is gonna stand up.

I RIDE HARD FO' THA FIRST ALBUM.......

and that's it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

and that's it.

and that's it.

^^^^^SELLS OUT GROUPS HE WAS INTO IN HIS YOUTH

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    at the hieght of living color's popularity they opened for fishbone in seattle. tons of people came out wondering who fishbone was and why is living color opening for them? they left loving fishbone and forgetting who opened....

oh yeah, they're cool though. not what i'm into....

• isnt it living colour? and dont they suck? what is this craziness about?

• damn I had forgotten how suspect they looked. even for that era they were seriously confused on the style tip.

BTW 5 star poast.

• i think young phonics took the LEGGINGS AND KNEE BOOTS to a whole new level

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Cult of Personality was my first cassingle.

damn I had forgotten how suspect they looked. even for that era they were seriously confused on the style tip.

...and why were they still dressing that way in 1997?

b/w

Dude on the left's all-over print joint looks like something that could be found in The_Mack's closet circa 2008.

• venus williams looks cute in that picture!

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Lopez Inaba Fly Girls!

• Dude on the left's all-over print joint RIGHT[/b] looks like someone that could be found in Williamsburg or on Melrose Avenue trying to holler at J'Davey

• BTW 5 star poast.

I GOT CLIFF'S NOTES FROM YOUR COLLEGE EXPERI-AHHNCE.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

damn I had forgotten how suspect they looked. even for that era they were seriously confused on the style tip.

BTW 5 star poast.

i kinda like the blazer with the swords on it in theory.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cult of personality. Rad.

i rocked out and blew my dads PYE record player, (one of those 'compact' models with the speaker built into the cover) playing the cult of personality 7" really loud trying to impress the girl next door, Sharon.

My dad kicked my ass but it was worth the beating because i scored that sweet piece of bleached blond, perm wearing, leg warmer rocking, 80s ass.

Her lip gloss was peach flavour and she had a living colour poster above her bed.

Living Colour: thank you.

Dude can sing

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• I RIDE HARD FO' THA FIRST ALBUM.......

and that's it.

Saw 'em in Houston in 1988. I distinctly remember playing their tape for my black coworker at Wal-Mart* and him 1) denying that they were black and 2) swearing that they were "on drugs."

*Some of you may know about this guy from tales of his constant urgings to get the 17-year-old Hogg to dye my hair red, "because it would trip them hoes out." When he and his uncle started a little side hustle tinting car windows, he gave me the hard sell on tinting my 1977 Buick Skylark (like a Nova, but without the social life). "We'll make it look tight, Ross. Dark, but not too dark--'cause you still want them hoes to be able to see that red hair." Both of his tint attempts (hair, then windows) were unsuccessful.

He was also the first person to tell me about a rap group from Port Arthur called The Underground Kings. This was also in 1988.

1) denying that they were black and 2) swearing that they were "on drugs."

• don't forget that Vernon Reid (is that his name?) is the dude on Janet Jackson's "Black Cat."

and that's it.

Saw 'em in Houston in 1988.

I am now counting down to the moment when I see a flashing envelope informing me that I have a PM from the boy Young Phonics tawmbout "OMG! Ross is such whiteeboy!!"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    "because it would trip them hoes out." 'cause you still want them hoes to be able to see that red hair."

i just woke my kid up laughing out loud.

more stories.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i rocked out and blew my dads PYE record player, (one of those 'compact' models with the speaker built into the cover) playing the cult of personality 7" really loud trying to impress the girl next door, Sharon.

My dad kicked my ass but it was worth the beating because i scored that sweet piece of bleached blond, perm wearing, leg warmer rocking, 80s ass.

Her lip gloss was peach flavour and she had a living colour poster above her bed.

Your avatar is amazing.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

...and why were they still dressing that way in 1997?

I noticed that too. That has to be mistake, or it was registered late or some shit. Their fashion game was often weak, but I thought by then they were all rocking their dreads much longer and more knotty and shit.

• I RIDE HARD FO' THA FIRST ALBUM.......

and that's it.

Saw 'em in Houston in 1988.

I am now counting down to the moment when I see a flashing envelope informing me that I have a PM from the boy Young Phonics tawmbout "OMG! Ross is such whiteeboy!!"

PLEASE! He's not white, he's Cajun.

This is an amazing thread.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I thought this was about the TV show In Living Color[/b].

But as far as the band Living Colour, I got a chance to see them open for the Rolling Stones in 1989, on the Steel Wheels[/b] tour. I still have a lot of live shows from around that time. Great band, even better when Doug Wimbish became their bassist. I know Corey Glover is currently playing the role of Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar[/b].

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Sharon is such a typical "girl next door name"!
    Anyways, I liked the singles of the first album, don't even remember them doing other stuff afterwards. Vernon Reid was all over the guitar magazines for a minute, Wil Calhoun was "the drummer" all the kids wanted to be (including the drummer in my punk band of the time - always trying to get him to play less was a bit frustrating, but he was the best drummer at our school, later he found religion, gave up drums & last I heard he was "spreading the word" from the sidewalk). I remember seeing some Corey Glover CD all through the deletion bins in the mid or late 90s, never copped. My little sister loved that sappy ballad from the first album. I can imagine Glover would be good as Judas in Superstar.... But were they better than 24-7 Spyz??

• I guess they were ok for a soft rock version of the Bad Brains