Case Study - Newspaper Reader (NRR)

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hoping I can get some SS love on a case study i am working on. Looking for the good folks of Seattle, Atlanta, St Louis & Salt Lake to chime in...I am doing some analysis on newspaper websites and to no surprise, we noticed that the big hitters of the market (NYT, Wall Street, Washington Post, etc.) make the bulk of hits for newspaper websites. these guys also show decent time spent on each visit to a website. Again, no big surprise.But we noticed that there was some anomalies with other newspapers. the following showed significant on-line prowess (as far as hits relative to circulation and time spent on the website).Seattle timesAtlanta journal constitutionSt Louis dispatchSalt Lake City - deseret newsany of you local dudes/dudettes have any insight to why these websites would do so well compared to their circulation? one of my conjectures is perhaps there are sub-sections in these papers that are hugely popular. also, one would think that perhaps it has to do with people who used to live in these areas just following up with old local news?anyway, if you guys know something about them that would suggest why they are so strong on-line relative to their circulation size, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts.thanks

Comments

• Salt Lake City - deseret news

I'm not a SLC local, but I visit once or twice a year to enjoy the "best snow on earth". I've read both the print versions of Tribune and Deseret, and I think the Deseret dedicates a lot of column space to covering Mormon and Mormon-related issues; moreso than the Tribune. This might account for a stonger web presence, what with the expanding mormon community worldwide. Just spec, though.